1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Buying a condo and moving to Galveston? Pros? Cons?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by VooDooPope, Nov 30, 2020.

1. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

I have an emergency toilet but prefer to use a real toilet at Planet fitness (also have nice long showers) or starbucks (both pre-corona).

The virus is what has dampened my vanlife enthusiasm. it made everything much harder and people much less welcoming when traveling.

#21 VooDooPope, Dec 1, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2020
    Kim, TWS1986 and DaDakota like this.
  2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Do you blog? I follow some Vanlife folks as well as some people who Cruise on sail boats, and one couple setting up from a bus in Panama!!!

HEHE.

DD

3. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

I don't have a current interior photo but there is photo from July when a friend helped me put in some upper cabinets and the 3rd DOT approved seat so my girlfriends kid had a place to ride legally. The grey bench before the bed now has a mattress topper on it so it serves as a couch. It houses the Fridge and extra storage. The cabinet on the right has a 2 burner stove, Sink, storage and underneath houses the emergency toilet.

F2D02A2B-F8B5-4FD2-9010-8B89A73824B6.jpeg

F8A7CE8C-E3B9-4975-8214-FD0B2BF1860C.jpeg

0A9D755C-300B-4DAB-A630-5BC5729412DD.jpeg

TWS1986, Kim, TheRealist137 and 2 others like this.
  4. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

I don't blog. I do post some stuff on instagram but it's more yoga and sound therapy stuff than van life stuff. @high.vibe.yogi

5. Nook

Nook Member

@VooDooPope I don't have any suggestions that haven't already been provided.

I just wanted to say you always have seemed like an interesting and cool dude.

6. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

Thanks Nook. I definitely march to my own drum beat. Off tempo quite often but it works for me. Lived & partied hard in my 20's, Settled down with a wife and kids in my 30's and 40's, now i'm trying to live my best life while getting those kids out of college without too much debt. Proud to say they are both kind, accepting, independent free thinking adults who accept the fact they have a free spirited crazy hippie yogi for a father.

jo mama, CometsWin, Exiled and 4 others like this.
  7. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

@VooDooPope I went down the Galveston real estate rabbit hole last night after looking at this thread. It's insane how much prices have gone up since I left in 2008. Double, triple, and even more in some areas. Less than $100k seems like a bargain now for a condo. Those HOA fees, though...

I admire this mostly because we're a 'stuff' culture, and you can't have much crap living in a 400sqft home. I have a buddy who went off on a similar path. He bought a sailboat after he got divorced. Had never even sailed before, took some classes, and just jumped in. Seems easy until you do it. Kudos.

Exiled, Kim and VooDooPope like this.
  8. updawg

updawg Member

This

think about being without renting it out for a year or two if a hurricane nails you. The fees involved. Don’t count on insurance covering it. Research the port aransas condos. Some of them still aren’t back.
    Definitely do your due diligence. Condos and hoa’s can be a nightmare if you aren’t careful

VooDooPope likes this.
  9. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

I wouldn't buy the condo with the idea that it will pay for itself when you rent it -- it won't. If you are OK with that, then by all means.

Kim and VooDooPope like this.
  10. CCorn

CCorn Member

Pull a teardrop camper with a shower and toilet in it.

Problem solved.

Ooh and get a bumper stick for your van That says, “you should ask my about my camper”.

Kim and TWS1986 like this.
  11. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

Thanks. I'm taking notes and will do my due diligence.

12. Xerobull

Actually, vacant housing goes like hotcakes when a hurricane hits. People aren't in their homes, but they don't want to leave the area.

13. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

Yes they have appreciated quite a bit. Priced me out of a beach house I think.

14. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Agree with this. I think the only way you make your money back is by using it yourself every second that it's not rented.

My sister had a condo on Pirate's Beach. They rented it 10% of the time and used it every weekend it wasn't rented. They eventually ended up selling it because of the.....wait for it.....effed up HOA.

I would LOVE to get a place at The Galvestonian when we're ready to retire - that's our favorite place to stay when we go to Galveston. Would have to do some heavy math to see if the numbers would work though.

Exiled and VooDooPope like this.
  15. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

Am I the only one that thinks the extreme East side of Galveston is the best area...down around Beach Town?

16. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

Sweet van.

VooDooPope likes this.
  17. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Nook likes this.
  18. Xerobull

What amenities does it have over other areas?

19. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

How much does flood insurance even cost in Galveston?

20. Xerobull

Stupid amounts. Flood, wind and hazard might double your mortgage. But being in a raised condo may preclude the flood insurance. The Seawall is the highest point in Galveston and houses close to it didn’t flood in Ike. I was a block from UTMB and got 4 feet.