1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

OLED, QLED and other TVs - Recommendations and News

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Yung-T, Oct 18, 2020.

1. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

ISF Bright/Dark on the LG TVs are the best settings you can get out of the box anywhere. No reason to mess with those base settings UNLESS you pay for a pro calibration, which is something nobody does.

Sajan likes this.
  2. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

To you and others that know about this stuff much more than me.. a newbie.

I hear people said calibrate your TV colors and setting. Is that simply using your eyes and adjusting settings based on some test patterns? Or is there some advanced mode in the tv that allow for instrument based (optical measurement device) measurement to perform calibration?

Where would one even get such patterns or info on such procedures ?

3. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

There's a hidden setting for most brands, which a professional can unlock and use to calibrate via instruments.

As Ziggy said, most of us won't do this, so it's best to find settings from experts and then adjust them from there if you have reference material or just want to use your eyes to compare with natural colours.

As sajan mentioned, every panel is different and there's no perfect setting that applies to each TV. But it's a good starting point to copy well-received settings from an online source.

Rtings settings for my taste are a bit too dark and bland, so some are underwhelmed and think their TV is too dim.

4. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

And in general: Everyone has very different viewing tastes, so don't just follow recommendations on what settings you have to turn off or turn on etc.

Motion settings for example are set to max out of the box and shitty, but if you set them to a low or medium point, there's no pixelation or stutter in most material and it's much more pleasant than watching the typical 24p stutter show you have with most traditional movies.
    So listening to purists can be a bit misleading.

5. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

What are initial opinions on OLEDX?

6. shorerider

shorerider Member

I get what you are saying, but your response I believe is where forums devolve into nonsense. The poster asked for opinions, and I gave mine. To some it may be great, others flawed (in your case), but nonetheless it is an opinion. I believe a more appropriate response would've been to address the poster directly and give him your 2 bits (e.g., "I believe the you should consider____"), not me, as I was not looking for an opinion or feedback on my own opinion.

7. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Thx

I find my eyes adopt to most color differences after a period of time and so not too concerned about color accuracy as I’m about settings that crush the highlights or dark so I don’t miss content. Not sure how to do that without good reference pattern.

I read that rtings calibrate in dim room and turn off all video processing so not to interfere with the measurement. I assume that would be too dark for typical brighter living room lighting and you might miss out on some useful processing. That together with tolerance differences in panels mean it might not be that useful. I’ll give it a try and see.

8. likestohypeguy

Yes, for instance I'd rather have the 75" Costco version of sony's x900h (led) deal over the 65" vizio OLED for $1500, (or similarly the 65" in that sony over 55" Vizio oled if budget $1k).

otoh I would take a smaller A8H (oled sony) over any bigger LED, for primarily movie watching

#168 likestohypeguy, Nov 26, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2020
  9. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

You can check forums as well, the guys on avforums for example have a dedicated thread for most models and several guys post the settings from their professionally calibrated TVs.

10. Sajan

Sajan Member

"A total of 19 TV brands are now using LG Display's OLED panel; LG Electronics, Sony, Panasonic, Philips, Bang & Olufsen, Toshiba, Sharp, Vizio, Huawei, Xiaomi, Grundig, Hisense, Skyworth, and others."

What will differ is the chips/processor inside in terms of processing and reliability. A very good chance a Sony will last longer than a Vizio.

11. Sajan

Sajan Member

Whatever TV you pick, you can maximize your viewing experience by

1. mounting it a proper height (no, not above your 6ft fireplace). it's recommended the middle of the tv is at 42" when seated. some people would freak out and say this is too low but these are the same people who sit in the front in a movie theatre lol.

2. changing it from a vivid/standard picture profile to something more cinematic. The exact preset varies from tv to tv but if you look up the model on rtings.com, you can find a recommendation on what all to turn off or set it to. as said earlier, on the LG oled it's "Expert" or "Filmmaker".

3. if you have unlimited funds and this is going in a home theatre room, find a professional to calibrate your tv. it's worth it if done right.

[​IMG]

Blatz and FrontRunner like this.
  12. likestohypeguy

Motion handling, is the biggest difference to me, and just prefer Sony brand. Latter might be more psychological factor, given 5 year warranty when from Costco

13. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

People mounting the TV well above their normal sitting eye level makes me irrationality mad.

Just whyyyy.

14. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

MISINFORMATION ALERT. OLED owners would NEVER have a fruit in their beer.

KingCheetah and Sajan like this.
  15. KingCheetah

Protip: Don't tilt your TV that much.

Sajan likes this.
  16. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Sajan, Yung-T and KingCheetah like this.
  17. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Wow.
    Seeing the height of the TV and that asymmetric setup really makes me want to do something to whoever did this.

[​IMG]

KingCheetah, Blatz and Sajan like this.
  18. KingCheetah

19. Sajan

Sajan Member

Ya sorry, I forgot to mention that. Just thought it was a decent graphic explaining the height.

KingCheetah likes this.
  20. KingCheetah

Shudder