1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Impeach Trump again

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by DaDakota, Nov 19, 2020.

?

Should Congress Impeach Trump again?

Poll closed Jan 8, 2021.
  1. Yes

31 vote(s)
    79.5%
  2. No

8 vote(s)
    20.5%
  1. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

mdrowe00 likes this.
  2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Yeah but you have the mind of an 8 year old...so....whatever.

;)

DD

3. DaDakota

Not if State congressman like the ones in Washington today from Michigan - fail to certify the results.

DD

4. DaDakota

I would be down with that.

DD

5. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

FrontRunner likes this.
  6. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Which is very likely illegal. Like I said, he deserves to be impeached for multiple reasons, but what has changed in the Senate? Nothing. If the Democratic candidates win both Senate seats in Georgia, not a sure thing, but not impossible, trump will be out of office. You can impeach trump before January 20th, but taking it to trial in the Senate would take longer than the length of days before inauguration and as useless at it was the last time, even if the clock didn't run out.

Someone would have to explain to me how it would do anything other that heap more well deserved political manure on trump. Another downside? It would detract from the critical Senate races in Georgia, which have to be the focus. Must be the focus. If we take those two elections it changes everything.

King1, FrontRunner and jiggyfly like this.
  7. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

By the way, I'm all for multiple investigations and special commissions to dig as deep as possible into the criminal activity, unethical conduct, and breaking of statutory federal regulations that has occurred and is occurring now during trump's term. I have no doubt that heads will role both in and out of government, that there was and is today corruption on a massive scale, and very possibly that trump, as well as those close to him, have been conspiring with a foreign power in order to bring grievous harm upon these United States.

FrontRunner likes this.
  8. edwardc

edwardc Member

9. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

Impeaching him again would be so awesome. And practically it would tie up the Senate for a bit so maybe one or two more unqualified judges don't get sat, and McConnell can't do anything about it.

DaDakota and SamFisher like this.
  10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

As warm and fuzzy as it makes me feel to think about impeaching the insane creature, it would take the oxygen out of the two Georgia senate races. Those are far more important. Besides, I seriously doubt that it would prevent McConnell from getting more grossly unqualified lawyers lifetime appointments to the Federal bench. An utterly outrageous example?

I think it's worth noting that Senators Romney and Collins voted to confirm this unqualified kid.

Senate confirms Trump’s youngest federal judge to serve in Tampa
    Kathryn Kimball Mizelle, 33, receives a lifetime appointment to the federal bench eight years after leaving law school.

By Jamal Thalji
    Published Yesterday
    Updated Yesterday

The youngest U.S. district judge nominated by President Donald Trump was confirmed by the Senate on Wednesday evening to serve in the Tampa division of the U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Florida.

The nomination of Washington, D.C., attorney Kathryn Kimball Mizelle, a 33-year-old Lakeland native, has made waves in the legal community.

The American Bar Association sent a letter to the Senate Judiciary Committee in September saying that, despite her credentials, Mizelle’s lack of trial experience renders her unqualified to be appointed to the federal judiciary.

“It’s just unusual to have someone appointed who is that young,” said University of Richmond School of Law professor Carl Tobias, who studies the selection of federal judges. “When the ABA rates people, it likes to see 12 years of practical experience. Of course she doesn’t have that. But she has clerked for a number of well-respected federal judges.”

Mizelle graduated from the University of Florida Levin College of Law in 2012. She has worked in the Department of Justice and clerked in the Middle District of Florida, the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia, the 11th Circuit Court of Appeals and the U.S. Supreme Court.

She has solid conservative credentials, as demonstrated by her confirmation. She was approved along party lines by 49 Republicans and opposed by 41 Democrats in the Senate’s last vote before Thanksgiving break, reported CSPAN.

She is a member of the Federalist Society, the powerful legal network of conservatives and libertarians that advises President Trump, Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis and top Republicans across the country on judicial and legal nominations.

Mizelle, who is close to Justice Clarence Thomas, has expressed admiration for his legal philosophy and in January taught a course at the University of Florida alongside him. Tobias said the law school faculty there have spoken highly of her.

Her current employer, Jones Day, is the most prominent law firm representing Trump and the Republican Party in their attempts to challenge the election victory of President-elect Joe Biden.

“I am pleased that the Senate confirmed Kat Mizelle to serve as a federal district court judge for the Middle District of Florida,” Florida Sen. Marco Rubio said in a statement. “By all accounts, Mizelle is an impressive nominee having served in various legal roles both in the public and private sector.”

Her resume isn’t what gave the American Bar Association pause. It’s that she has taken part in only two trials — each was a one-day trial in state court conducted while she was an intern.

She has never tried a criminal or civil case, even as co-counsel, since being admitted to the Bar eight years ago, according to a Sept. 8 letter written by Randall D. Noel, chairman of the association’s standing committee on the federal judiciary, to the Senate Judiciary Committee.

“Ms. Mizelle has a very keen intellect, a strong work ethic and an impressive resume,” Noel said. “She presents as a delightful person, and she has many friends who support her nomination. Her integrity and demeanor are not in question. These attributes, however, simply do not compensate for the short time she has actually practiced law and her lack of meaningful trial experience.”

Tobias said Mizelle answered that criticism during her confirmation hearing, pointing to the “trial-type” work she has done at the Justice Department and the litigation teams she led for a major law firm.

“I think the criticism was that she hadn’t tried a lot of cases,” the professor said. “But in fairness most cases settle (and) 95 percent of cases settle in the federal system. Today a district judge tries some cases, but not that many.”

She is the 227th Trump nominee confirmed to a lifetime appointment to the federal bench. She is also the eighth rated “not qualified” by the American Bar Association to be confirmed during the Trump presidency, according to Bloomberg Law. Tobias said she is the president’s youngest judicial nominee.

There is also the issue of Mizelle being confirmed after the president lost his bid for reelection. Senate Republicans are breaking a 123-year tradition against approving the judicial nominees put forward by a departing president whose party lost the White House, reports Bloomberg Law.

“I think you can defend nomination before and confirmation after,” Tobias said. “As (Senate Majority Leader Mitch) McConnell says — and as much as I hate to agree with him — Trump was elected to serve until January 2021.”

https://www.tampabay.com/news/breaking-news/2020/11/18/senate-confirms-trumps-youngest-federal-judge-to-serve-in-tampa/#:~:text=Kathryn Kimball Mizelle, 33, receives,years after leaving law school.
    [​IMG]

#30 Deckard, Nov 20, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2020
  11. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

Not prevent but slow it down. Literally it pushes other things off of the agenda regardless of what McConnell wants. It's why I said even preventing one or two of these appointments is worth it. You're not burning political capital. There isn't any. Democrats are not going to win the Senate seats in Georgia. Republicans get mad. Who cares. They're either functionally evil actors, like McConnell, or dupes.

12. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

We don't know that we (I'm a Democrat) can't win those seats. I get your point, but Biden has already won the presidency. If there is any chance of gaining the Senate, it is worth every effort that can be put into it, in my opinion. We're sending money.

jiggyfly likes this.
  13. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Impeachment is worthless at this point. You’ll never get enough senators on board. He’s already going down as a impeached president who got his ever loving ass kicked after 1 term and possibly as the worst president in the great history of this country.

He’ll get dragged out kicking and screaming, if that’s what it takes, on Jan 20th. The fun for his starts because the protection of the Office of the President ceases to exist.

Deckard and FranchiseBlade like this.
  14. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I tend to be cautious and very concerned about divisive actions but seeing the ongoing damage that is being done as Trump and his supporters undermine our system needs to be addressed. Impeachment might be one way but we might need something that we will be more effective.

I've argued before that cutting a deal with Trump where he and/or his family isn't prosecuted if he just agrees to go along with the transition might be something Biden could pursue but maybe looking at it the other way might be better. If Trump is determined to undermine things and hobble the next administration it might be time to start planning for prosecution of Trump and/or his family following his Presidency.

Deckard and FranchiseBlade like this.
  15. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Why would that stop him from seating judges?

He would just not bring it up before the inauguration.

16. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

How would impeachment be effective to stop what he is doing?

I don't see the logic in that.

17. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

Because all Senate business stops when impeachment is moved to the Senate. Impeachment goes to the top of the agenda. So confirmations necessarily get bumped down. McConnell might/likely would eventually seat the current nominees, but that would happen down the road, and time would running on other future nominees that he, in the current scenario, will ALSO have time to jam in.

DaDakota likes this.
  18. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

If the Republicans were smart though they’d impeach him in order to bar him from running for office again. As long as Trump can campaign for 24 technically, he can hold the power of the purse with his corrupt PACs and his direct campaign.

An impeachment conviction vote in the Senate removes the leverage that Trump has on the party and the power he has to abuse and bring down every Republican with him.

They should do this... but they wont because the fact is don’t buy this false notion that behind the scenes they really do despise him.... nobody should buy into that crap. They are ALL in on making Trump a dictator... ALL of them minus Mitt Romney and maybe Lisa Murkowski some days.

If it was the Democrats who had enough power to do this, The Republicans would be crying for years that the Dems subverted Democracy by banning candidates from running so they can run against people they have a better chance of winning against. So impeaching him now would also setup this false narrative that’ll be propagated against them for a generation.

DaDakota likes this.
  19. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That's why I said planning for prosecution post presidency.

Deckard likes this.
  20. mazinger

mazinger Member