1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Knicks could be interested in Westbrook if he is made available

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Tristan_fiore, Oct 14, 2020.

1. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

If what I’m looking at is right I think just losing Westbrook’s salary with nothing returning would leave us with almost 20 million in cap space.

So a pick or two and being free of that contract seems like a huge step in the right direction.

Jontro, HP3 and HardenVolumeOne like this.
  2. HardenVolumeOne

westbrook is closer to rondo than he is to a superstar, only top 5 players should be getting his contract

3. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Back in the mid 60s I learned to just read the first sentence of every paragraph. :)

4. realonemo

realonemo Member

Why would westbrook or harden approve of this ? Harden didn't bring him here to get traded and Russ does not want to be on his third team in 3 years.

5. sirjesse

sirjesse The Udoker has spoken!
    Supporting Member

I saw a crazy one out there in internet land of harden/Westbrook for Ben Simmons, Julius randle, and filler. At first I thought no way. But sometimes I wonder. That is a lot of youth to add to the mix. True culture reset turning the team back over to the new coach.

6. HardenVolumeOne

hardens trade value is higher than Simmons and Julius randle sucks

7. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Best situation for Westbrook/Knicks (perfect for each other) and Rockets. Do it in a heartbeat.

Sign off on it Harden.

8. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Julius randle would be a great fit if we intend to get bigger.

9. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Here's the relevant part from the Begley article that OP's article is based off of:

Something else to keep an eye on: some agents who represent top point guard free agents believe the Knicks would poke around on a potential Russell Westbrook trade if Houston makes him available. It’s worth noting that Westbrook, per sources, saw New York as a welcome landing spot last summer when Oklahoma City was talking to teams about potential trades.

Westbrook’s work ethic and drive would have an impact on New York’s young players. But the deal -- just like a potential Paul trade -- would obviously have to make sense for New York. If they are going to take on Westbrook’s contract (three years remaining, third year is a player option, $132 million in total), you’d think that the Knicks would look for an additional asset from Houston.

D-rock likes this.
  10. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

The problem with a Russ trade is that Harden would never approve and so it won't happen. We have to start tweeting Russ on the allure of being a superstar in New York so that he himself gets hyped on the idea and pursuades Harden to let him go. Honestly just give me Mitch Rob and salary cap savings and I'm happy.

11. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

12. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Exactly. All these fan/talking heads wet dreams ignore this part. It would be exchanging Westbrook for a basket of other problems, without the upside (don't forget how well Westbrook was playing earlier this year).

13. ThatboyPhuong

ThatboyPhuong Member

Please stop with this WB trade talk, its getting ridiculous. Did we all forget what russ did before the bubble? Are we going to act like he didn't just recover from covid plus a sprain quad. Give him a break.

14. blackistan

blackistan Member

I would love for this to happen but I don't see any team out there taking on his contract

15. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

What did you say? :)

Deckard likes this.
  16. Le$$

Le$$ Member

17. today

today Contributing Member

I'll take any deal!