1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Biased commentary

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JW86, Sep 5, 2020.

1. madbomber

madbomber Rox4Life! #FreeJVG

There is a media biased for sure . That said , the “quicker than gossip comment “ was pretty stupid funny .

D-rock likes this.
  2. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Contributing Member

Jones definitely gets off on LeBron, but I find his main issue is when he tries to be dramatic and just ends up sounding foolish and uninformed. He was doing it a lot in game 7 of the OKC series, making the game out to be a referendum on the entire Rockets franchise or something. Doris Burke makes me want to puke, though. She's just an outright hater.

D-rock, RocketsFan247 and hakeem94 like this.
  3. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

I didn't have a problem with them last night. I felt jones kept bringing up hardens offensives woes from game 7 but that was really it. Mark Jackson while annoying with his catch phrases did provide more analysis when it came to the rockets energy and effort defensively.

I would rather have Jones and Jackson over Harlan/Miller and Webber for sure.

My favorite team in the bubble has been Spero Dedes and SVG followed by Breen/JVG/Jackson

4. T for 3

T for 3 Member

I felt like Mark Jones was very complementary of Harden last night. I like Mark Jones. They are definitely surprised by a D'antoni team being a #1 defensive team. (so am I, though)

hakeem94 and durvasa like this.
  5. Juxtaposed Jolt

Is OP 12?

6. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I'd take both of them over Chris Webber. He talks a ton yet says nothing.

Rock Block likes this.
  7. Rock Block

Rock Block Sorta here sometimes
    Supporting Member

Last night Jones (I kept calling him Mark Davis for some reason) absolutely sounded surprised when we would get a good sized lead and yes he had to clean himself up at a commercial break because he would have a verbal orgasm ANYTIME LeBron made a “play”. He sounded genuinely disappointed with how the game turned out.

8. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Homerism is a disease, like bubonic plague.

9. tmacman

tmacman Member

Mark Jones is SUPER corny and all of his catchphrases sound like pickup lines a baby boomer would try to use at a bar in a college town.

hakeem94 and Sajan like this.
  10. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

harlan doesn't get basketball in the same way breen does and that makes him a guy who brings up "narratives" all the time, but other than that he's a great announcer (no matter the sport) and doesn't seem to play favorites. unfortunately he comes with a side of reggie miller.

i like svg almost as much as jvg. his only problem is he will keep talking while something amazing just happened on the court whereas other people know to stop and talk about the play. you know the main announcer is dying to jump in. he almost talked over the whole toronto game-winner. like dude, this is the final play of the game, cut that comment short.

hakeem94 likes this.
  11. nacho bidness

nacho bidness Member

They didn't get as excited about our good runs and plays like they did theirs but compared to what we've been hearing on these broadcasts lately it was actually a huge improvement. I'll take this over just flat out hating on us all game. If we win this series, which I think we will and easily at that, it will go a long way toward curbing the hate.

hakeem94 likes this.
  12. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

I agree on Mark Jones.

Not sure it is all.of them though?
    Doris is fine
    Webber is fine (perhaps even biased towards Harden/ rockets)
    JVG is biased towards Rockets
    Miller is fine
    Mark Jackson is fine

They are allowed to say negative things. Someone like Bill Worrall is not an example of an objective commentator!!

13. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

14. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

This is why I listen to the rockets radio feed.

15. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Jackson made one comment that didn't sit well with me. Something about the Rockets "disrespecting" the big men of the Lakers with their "micro lineup." I probably have some of that wrong, but that's as near as I can remember. How in the hell can a team "disrespect" the other team by playing their system, whatever it is? I thought that was a ludicrous thing to say and it sounded like a bit of bias. Otherwise, compared to the OKC series, game one was refreshing.

Rocket River likes this.
  16. TimDuncanDonaut

The Lebron dunk reaction was a bit much. I was like "Mark, you ok bud?"
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I check the score and we were still leading. The momentum didn't go their way after the chase down. Russ got fired up, made a statement 3 and Harden nose bleed dunk the ball.

hakeem94 likes this.
  17. RocketsFan247

RocketsFan247 Member

One thing I find funny about a currently developing sub-plot is that if we win out, then small ball > bully ball and therefore should be copied throughout the league.

Would love to see someone conjure up a small ball team under the current salary cap, excluding Houston, and run that simulation against the best in the league. Damien and CJ embarrassingly flamed out. What other combination of star duos or small ball teams can be as much of a threat or greater than what we've assembled?

I don't think it's as easily reproducible. Our team was specifically concocted with years of planning and trial & error. We have the best 1on1 player in the history of the game who also is girth-y and lengthy. We have thicc but quick guards and forwards who can switch at almost all positions. This is a statement, but who would you rather have that could be built for our system to guard Lebron other than EG? The only other person I can think of is Jason Kidd from the Mavs - someone who's quick but thicc. We have a unique team which I don't think can be reproduced as easily as media suggests or fears would happen.

hakeem94 likes this.
  18. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I didn't think Jones was bad as any other TNT announcer panning the rockets.

Dough Dough and basic ass Reggie Miller are on another level though.

They've become the needle scratching the record player with their non stop shrill homerism.

At least Jones was open to be educated by Marc Jackson, on "how the Lakers can overcome this lineup". Obvious bone for him and all the casual LA fans wondering if room service pissed into Bron's Gatorade. LMAO

19. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I listen to Christian radio talk shows during the games.

#BlessedCommentary

20. RocketsFan247

RocketsFan247 Member

The biggest argument for getting rid of the MVP award is that it would allow media members to go full ham on what they actually think on live broadcast. Instead, they have to deliver a moderate tone which rubs off as disingenuous and everybody can smell it.