1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets GREAT Photographer Bill Baptist slurs Kamala on Facebook

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Xerobull, Aug 14, 2020.

1. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Who knew X was a bank robber?

RayRay10 and Ubiquitin like this.
  2. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Unfortunately the photographer doesn't belong to the players union and doesn't have a contract for handling these types of issues.

Not all employees are equal.

Bottom line, outside of age, sex, etc discrimination - you can be fired for anything. You can be fired for saying you like the color purple. People don't understand the 1st amendment and free speech - it doesn't extend beyond the gov't. A private employer can fire you for pretty much any whim they choose as most states are at-will.

3. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I don't think anyone is questioning the right of the employer to fire him. I know I'm not. I'm questioning whether this punishment is a societal good. If a player did not have legal protection against punishment for doing something like this, what would a fair punishment be?

RayRay10 likes this.
  4. mick fry

mick fry Member

Exactly my point and I’m not saying the guy shouldn’t have been reprimanded but it’s always the double standard I have the problem with. These guys are less concerned about what was said and more concerned about to whom it was said.

5. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I suspect if he had posted a meme with Trump and Melania and said something like "Trump and his hoe" he would have been fired.

6. Nook

Nook Member

Someone get that hoe a pumpkin spice latte!

7. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

[​IMG]

RayRay10 and jiggyfly like this.
  8. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

#JoHo

9. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Couldn't he at least posted it as HoeJoe and then he could have claimed it was a Howard Johnson ad?

RayRay10, jiggyfly, tinman and 2 others like this.
  10. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Good riddance to bad rubbish.

RayRay10 likes this.
  11. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

#HoJo

RayRay10 and Nook like this.
  12. Beezy

Beezy Member

Right-to-work doin’ some work.

13. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The definition of "cancel culture" seems to be people calling out someone for being an *******. Doesn't really seem like a problem to me.

RayRay10, DVauthrin and Ubiquitin like this.
  14. durvasa

We can't know for sure, but I suspect he would at worst have been suspended for a few games as lip service if it became a story, and I think it likely would be conservatives who would have had to make it a story. Am I being too cynical?

RayRay10 likes this.
  15. durvasa

No, I don't agree. It is insisting that a company fire him for being an ******* outside of work, and more generally pressuring organizations or individuals of perceived stature who associate with him to cut ties as punishment. Calling him out or even choosing to disassociate from him is not itself the issue -- that is a personal choice. It's putting pressure on others to do so.

RayRay10, FranchiseBlade and JumpMan like this.
  16. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

The problem is that he is not being punished. This isn't a player fighting or cursing out a fan resulting in a fine / suspension.

The NBA isn't trying to punish this guy, they are protecting themselves. Punishing a player is a very different concept meant to address behavior. In the case of the photographer the NBA isn't trying to correct his behavior. They are just cutting a liability.

RayRay10 and DVauthrin like this.
  17. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

@dachuda86 @mick fry another poster beat me to it, but you should both be addressed. Tell us your real names and let us submit it to your employer. According to your logic, if she is in fact a hoe your boss will naturally understand

RayRay10 likes this.
  18. durvasa

Of course this is for punishment. That is the entire point. A number of people see he did a bad thing. They demand the NBA takes action against him as punishment. The NBA responds to protect its interests. If no one felt he needed to be punished, the NBA would not need to act.

The difference in opinion here is what qualifies as fair punishment for something like this.

RayRay10 likes this.
  19. foh

foh Member

Maybe "hoe" is a sensitive word on both sides of the isle, which would invalidate my argument of this being a tribal/political thing.

We really need an NBA photographer to call Melania a hoe in a public post to figure this out.

right-to-work is important and there should be discrimination laws protecting one's political association/expression. Too bad for Baptist guy to also cross the line of decency in his political speech/repost.

A good example of why echo chambers are bad and why Qanon crap is proliferating - people just stop thinking.

This makes me think that Harden should get a wife and a baby like Greek freak if he wants a chance at another MVP award. He associates with hoes too much for NBA's liking.

RayRay10 likes this.
  20. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Whatever you want to portray it as, the NBA is not punishing Baptist. They are terminating their relationship with him. There's a difference.

It does not matter what is appropriate or not. That's not how business works. You are trying to compare different things here. The players are not the employees of the NBA, they are the product. They are the content that create the value. The photographer is merely a contractor who provides a service. Naturally the players are going to be able to get away with a lot more for numerous reasons.

RayRay10, T_Man and DVauthrin like this.