1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Are the Pelicans toast? We're watching Thunder at Pelicans -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

James Harden wearing a Blue Lives Matter mask????

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaBeard, Jul 16, 2020.

1. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

LOL at least 1/3d of the country don't know that punisher/blue lives matter logo

dc rock, pr0wler, HP3 and 1 other person like this.
  2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Like I said, my perception is probably skewed because I just know a lot of cops.

Nook likes this.
  3. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

LMAOOOO

4. Reeko

Reeko Member

It’s definitely higher than that. That mask is not mainstream at all. Something like a swastika everyone will and should be expected to know. This? Nah. Before last night, most of the people attacking Harden would’ve thought that mask was nothing more than a redesigned Punisher logo mask if they saw it in a store unless it had a description of what it’s intended to represent.

5. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Well, you just nailed it about the whole situation and further proved my point : he was clueless about this mask.

6. Reeko

Reeko Member

no I didn’t...your point was stupid

Many were clueless about the mask until last night. It’s not a mainstream thing. Get out of your weird little bubble thinking something like this is a thing everyone, or even the majority of people, knew about.

House Rockets, pr0wler and vlaurelio like this.
  7. vlaurelio

to come to think of it around 1/3 at the most know exactly for sure that logo was blue lives matter

and even less could tell with that mask because the blue color wasn't that pronounced

harold bingo and Reeko like this.
  8. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Totally with you on this. The online crowd is really overestimating how many people recognize this thing. Not only that, the logo is also not super apparent from the mask. Like, I'm sure there are a lot of people that would know what this flag means, but would never associate it with this mask. People are acting like the mask said "BLUE LIVES MATTER" across the front or something.

NotInMyHouse, HP3 and Reeko like this.
  9. SuraGotMadHops

The guy shouldn't have had to explain a damn thing about what mask he is wearing. There are people calling Harden a "dumbass" if he had intentionally wore a blue lives matter mask. Even it was on purpose, so the eff what?!!!

Fantasma Negro likes this.
  10. tochiee22

tochiee22 Contributing Member

I don’t think harden did it intentionally..

not everyone is up to date on today’s politics
    I didn’t even know that mask was or is a thing... I’m sure he didn’t know what it meant, cuz he doesn’t really care. Imp

11. vlaurelio

I blame Adidas for not customizing a mask for their premier endorser
    [​IMG]

DreamShook likes this.
  12. fchowd0311

I would say of he did it on purpose, I can see why some fans would be upset.

That isn't just a blue lives matter mask. It's a thin blue line mask with the skull and bones symbol. It personifies the militarization and warrior culture of law enforcement here when they are in charge of policing a domestic civilian population.

I'm glad Harden didn't know the implication. I would be upset if he did. Still a Rockets fan. Still root for them to win this year but it would be pretty upsetting if Harden advocates for the militarization of our domestic law enforcement.

Nook and durvasa like this.
  13. vlaurelio

does Harden even have a clothier?
    [​IMG]

14. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

I saw that photo of Harden on IG last night and liked the post without even giving it a second thought. I would never have picked up that the mask had any other meaning besides just a funky graphic. I'm sure Harden had no idea. I do wonder who gave it to him, though.

Nook, Clutch, BigMaloe and 6 others like this.
  15. vlaurelio

why would you even think that he's for that thought?

NotInMyHouse and BigShasta like this.
  16. fchowd0311

When I first saw the picture I was mostly certain it was just him not knowing what the symbol meant. I never claimed that I thought he knew what it was. I was stating a hypothetical to explain to someone why the symbol is offensive especially to Black people and that in the odd case that Harden did know what it meant, I can understand why fans would have been upset.

There is no rational reason to be upset at Harden over this.

Nook likes this.
  17. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

After reading your post, I read a bit more about the meaning of "thin blue line". You're right that there is good reason to consider it divisive, especially in this current climate. I had considered it only as a sentiment of solidarity with police officers who have been unfairly demonized. But it appears that it suggests something darker about the role of the police in controlling a population. Being myself ignorant of this, I certainly can't fault Harden for possibly being unaware of it.

King1, Nook, BigMaloe and 4 others like this.
  18. Reeko

Reeko Member

my initial reaction was “wow, Harden found a mask that can fully cover his beard”...I’m familiar with the thin blue line and all that, but I didn’t know about this particular mask being a thing...I’m not out here searching for every symbol that’s been co-opted or claimed by these “thin blue line” or “blue lives matter” people

Seriously, are we expecting somebody who’s not political or doesn’t have friends or family who advertise this “Thin Blue Line/“Blue Lives Matter” to automatically know what this mask represents?

pr0wler, harold bingo and vlaurelio like this.
  19. vlaurelio

these kind of people will never give Harden the benefit of the doubt

pr0wler and Reeko like this.
  20. fchowd0311

I wonder if someone trolled Harden.