1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Help buying sports cards

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by BigSherv, Jan 2, 2014.

1. AirBud#10

AirBud#10 Member

BCCG is basically the crappy version of BGS. It's Beckett's cheaper grading option, but the grades don't mean nearly as much. A BCCG 10 could grade as low as a BGS 8 (maybe even lower since cards can get damaged pretty easily in BCCG cases), if a card is graded less than a 9 by BCCG there is something seriously wrong with it.

2. BigSherv

BigSherv Contributing Member

Thanks guys I read up a lot on bgs psa sga bvs and bggs. Bggs seems to be as crappy as those fly by night ones so I stay away. Pretty much just bgs, psa and sga.

I am in a quest to find a graded Calvin rookie but since it is technically vintage it is not easy without paying an arm and a leg. My sons loves the idea of him and what we had to overcome. We watched Planes and at the end he looked at me and said dusty is just like Calvin Murphy. I just smiled because I knew he understood to never let doubters make you think you can't fulfill your dreams.

3. emoreland

emoreland Contributing Member

Thanks AirBud.....that would explain why the Olajuwon rookies that I saw where only 85.00 even though they were 10's.

AirBud...are you still a pretty big collector?

4. Nook

Nook Member

I agree with this. It is no longer the early 90's, if you collect it needs to be because you just really enjoy it, you will not make any money from it.

The market for cards has really fallen because there are so many. If you want to collect as an investment, it will cost you a lot of money, because they only part of the collectibles market that is still strong is the collection of RARE items. For example very rare, premium cards and more so, game worn jerseys, game worn shoes, etc.

5. chrisjent

chrisjent Member

OP, I was once employed as grader at Beckett prior to a career change years ago. Feel free to get in touch with any questions re: your search for graded cards. You can leave you e-mail address in my profile. Cheers.

6. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I recommend the Mazda RX-8.

7. AirBud#10

AirBud#10 Member

I've been getting rid of a lot of stuff lately and trying to just keep stuff that I think will go up in value. Durant, Harden, Anthony Davis, and Hakeem are the only guys i'm holding onto right now.

8. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Yep. Most cards were mass produced and designed to be collected, which makes them less valuable. More are in existence, and more are well maintained. I have hundreds of cards but they aren't likely to ever be worth anything. Figure I'll just hand them down, until someone just doesn't care.

9. emoreland

emoreland Contributing Member

I still have alot of cards but I came out ahead on them back in the day but I would have to say the best thing I have is the 96/97 chrome basketball set with a kobe psa 10, Iverson psa 10, and jordan psa 10. The rest of the rookies in that set are psa 9.

10. le081488

le081488 Member

grave digging but the boom has been huge.

hope you still have those chrome sets.