1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19/Coronavirus NBA Thread

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Maromi, Mar 2, 2020.

1. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

They won't get any punishment. The NBA needs them to win. Also, if they all get it they will all recover in time and won't get reinfected during the NBA Covid-19 Championship Tournament. The only way they'd miss time is if someone snitches on them breaking quarantine.

2. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

You are assuming that none of they would get seriously ill. It's true that young healthy people are not as susceptible to serious symptoms. But there's no guarantee. Lots of young people died of the disease. The false sense of security among young people is quite scary tbh.

daywalker02 and JumpMan like this.
  3. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

4. JW86

JW86 Member

I could still see none of this happening.

TexasTofu and IBTL like this.
  5. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

6. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

Some Agents Expect Owners To Seek Bigger Share Of BRI Due To COVID-19

Some agents expect the NBA to opt out of the current collective bargaining agreement by using the force majeure provision due to the economic impact of the pandemic.

“I’m telling all my clients to opt in,” another agent said. “Although they won’t tear up the CBA if we actually have basketball this summer, they will want to make changes to BRI based on the overall losses.”

The NBA owners went from receiving 43 percent of revenues to anywhere between 49 and 51 percent of revenues with the 2011 lockout.

The NBA extended its current CBA with minimal changes in 2016 and runs through 23-24 with a mutual opt-out after 22-23.

Teams Expected To Carry Fewer Players In 20-21 To Save Money

The NBA could have fewer total players in 20-21 with teams looking to save money with a lower salary cap and a decrease in revenues.

Most teams will only carry 14 players, according to The Athletic, which is one short of the maximum of 15 allowed. Some teams may carry only 13 players in order to save additional money.

“Before this year, you knew what that crop of ’21 is going to be,” one prominent agent, speaking on background, told The Athletic. “It’s going to be even more crowded, because you’re going to have a significantly higher number of players (this summer) doing 1+1s (two-year deals with a player option for the second season). … I’m very lucky that I’m not going nuts going into this free agency. It’s going to be a bloodbath. We don’t know what the cap is going to be, but if it stays the same, how many owners are going to go with more than 13 guys?”

8. Nook

Nook Member

"Hey Daryl, we should carry eight players and one coach. It will save a little money so I can pay down these damn loans. Hell, why not just have James and Russell coach and we won't need to keep anyone on the payroll on the coaching side."

daywalker02 and J.R. like this.
  9. magichat281

magichat281 Member

I wonder how they came up with ORL,FL.

10. amaru

amaru Member

I’m no insider but I have a cousin in the NBA. His father told us a lot of players are already down in Orlando and quite a few are positive for COVID.

Nook, IBTL and robbie380 like this.
  11. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

12. PhiSlammaJamma

Chris Paul has worked with the Disney Exec before thus making it an easy conversation, and then ESPN is in cahoots with Dinsey too. So it was super convenient. Not that anything is wrong with that, but I suspect they took the path of least resistance and ease because it was on the table first. Ironically though, it's looking like the worst possible choice next to their backup, Las Vegas, which was also idiotic, even if it works out. Putting two tourism destinations at the top of the list, not intelligent. You put this in North Dakota and bunker down.

13. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Although it would be great to see a salvage of the season, I just don't see it happening at this point. Same with MLB.

14. Sep11ie

Sep11ie Member

In cahoots? Disney owns ESPN. How is that "in cahoots with"?

15. YOLO

YOLO Member

lmao. you would think something like this would give someone a clue

[​IMG]

Sep11ie likes this.
  16. Major

Major Member

They picked Disney because their primary media partner owns it, there are a gazillion empty hotel rooms, and a bunch of arenas and infrastructure to host multiple games at once/etc. A place like North Dakota would be great for quarantining - but not for actually putting on an NBA season.

RudyTBag likes this.
  17. Nook

Nook Member

Yup.

The Suns have had a couple so far test positive and expect more. The league will not disclose the team, but one good Western Conference team currently has four players out with COVID19.

amaru likes this.
  18. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Jokic just tested positive for the corona

19. TilmanFinancialWindfall

Damn...now Denver is going to win the NBA Finals since their best player won't have to worry about testing positive during the playoff

20. noize

noize Contributing Member

Went from optimistic to pessimistic.

TexasTofu likes this.