1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Best place to buy fish?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Rileydog, May 12, 2020.

1. Buck Turgidson

Yes!

Airline seafood.

Central Market.

Just depends on what kind of seafood you're looking for.

2. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

3 locations in Houston area but found the one in a predominantly Korean neighborhood to be the best. Easily the best place I’ve found clams, muscles and other shellfish.

One on in Chinatown is essentially a converted Chinese grocery.

3. Buck Turgidson

4. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

if you want fresh live fish, only Asian markets got 'em

5. PhiSlammaJamma

I made a deal with a 1,710 lb Bluefin Tuna to sell off his kids to me. Threw him back near three Kings Island. And it's been all good. But Winter is coming.

6. Pipe

Pipe Contributing Member

Sorry for the slow reply I don't log on very often these days. If your looking for fresh fish from the gulf, try J&J Seafood on Woodvalley just off of Stella Link inside the loop. Doesn't look like much from the street, but the fish is fresh. I make ceviche fairly often and I have never gotten a bad snapper there. Their fried catfish is damn good as well.

This post is paying it forward. I first learned about J&J Seafood from Rocketman Tex on this board many years ago.

R0ckets03, Buck Turgidson and arkoe like this.
  7. Buck Turgidson

This is a terrible idea.

8. MystikArkitect

Since HEB has blown up the quality of their meat and fish has taken a nosedive. Avoid them. Ive heard the Fish Market near Kemah is good. I go to Pete's Fine Meats for meat now.

9. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

You could always ask a Vietnamese friend, that has a friend, that has a cousin, that has a dad that fishes the gulf and brings back fish to sell in his garage.

10. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

because....?

11. Buck Turgidson

Tilapia? Catfish? Carp?

Mmmm....so farm raised and delicious.

12. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Whereever they sell a ton of fish is a good bet because they cycle inventory. H mart I hear has a great seafood market like some posters mention. Also upscale grocers.

13. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

If that’s what you’re buying, that’ll be the case no matter where you get it. Difference being you can likely get it live at an Asian supermarket if that makes any difference to you.