1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. Senator

Senator Member

Wow, people are getting ton of money. Really need to institute UBI and let people come back when they're ready - as of now the system rewards people for living beyond their means and punishes those who save. Also should punish people who have kids while on unemployment.

tochiee22 likes this.
  2. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

According to Bill Gates, we are...at best case...16 months away from a vaccine. So, hang in there and keep the tee-pee stocked. Good luck (said in a sarcastic voice like in the movie “Taken”).

daywalker02 likes this.
  3. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

I think there is much variation in the processing rate of unemployment benefits throughout states. Antiquated programming systems plus the fact that the whole thing was not designed for a massive wave (but instead for small amount of applications geared towards getting people back to work) make it a difficult program to administer effectively in current conditions. Many people who are in the most need are still waiting for their payments to come in.

I don't see how savers are punished anymore by Covid aid packages than before. And while the UE benefits are big, they're still temporary. I'm glad they exist bc I don't know if this PPP will ever come through. I can handle the hit, and my people can too, but it's good to know they'll be financially okay either way.

Lastly, I don't understand the timeline of punishing women who have kids while on unemployment. In this hypothetical scenario, she gets pregnant, 8 months later gets laid off, files for unemployment (which is supposed to be paid for by premiums paid by employers) then has a baby, then gets fined? Does the husband need to convince the wife to have an 8-month abortion to avoid this fine? Should I lay off all pregnant women so that I could recoup my unemployment taxes to Texas and the Feds? I don't think you've noodled this "punish people who have kids while on UE" all the way through.

Deckard likes this.
  4. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

5. YOLO

YOLO Member

6. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is good news showing that the disease fatality is lower because we’re finding the infection is more widespread. Esther’s tweet though is the kind of irresponsible and frankly ignorant rhetoric that makes it hard to fight this and will make it hard to fight future outbreaks. 50,000 + Americans have died in only about two months along with tens of thousands around the World and people are still dying. Claiming that the models were wrong and we were lied to completely misses the point of why were finding out more info like the disease is more wide spread now because we’re learning more constantly about it. Also yes it’s not as fatal as originally thought but as those tens of thousands of deaths attest it isn’t benign either. Further a lot of what we’re finding out now about this isn’t all good. Just because the mortality rate might not be as high as originally thought doesn’t mean there aren’t other long term complications.

Nook and ElPigto like this.
  7. YOLO

YOLO Member

As we learn more and more from this with actual data, rather than just projections like originally done, things should be adjusted accordingly rather than just operating as if there isn't credible information that wasn't true months ago to go off of. There was just a lot of guessing going on and its become a widespread issue as time has gone by. But as we gather more and more information this shouldn't be the case

8. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Edited for mispost

#6768 LosPollosHermanos, Apr 25, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2020
    robbie380 likes this.
  9. YOLO

YOLO Member

nah im good. don't get offended when there's information out there that doesn't agree with your own. purpose is to have as much as possible

10. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

**** my bad man, I thought I was replying to commodore (that’s what that last reference was). Apologies yo—Edited post.

I think that the stats you posted are reassuring(I hope that’s how things are) but I’m wondering how different it would be if social distancing was not in place. Which I have gone from denying the effectiveness of to believing. It’s in the best interest of the virus to mutate to a version that lives on in people, basically if it kills the host it can’t spread enough. Hoping that ends up happening and we build immunity (like real life vaccine)

YOLO likes this.
  11. YOLO

YOLO Member

all good

12. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Good news coming from those antibody tests. Hope we can improve the test accuracy and get them more widely out to the public ASAP.

But good lord, people like "esther" are counterproductive. Tweets like that mean she either doesn't understand science and science journalism, or she doesn't want to. This is a difficult, complicated, constantly evolving situation. But yeah, let's go back to our bang-the-media hobby horse.

We haven't been "lied to." Those reports on these newer anitbody tests are everywhere in the major outlets. What we have, (even now, even with a couple of studies in a couple of states), is incomplete data. Take her political BS to D&D pls. (*spits*) Yuck. Need a pallet cleanser after that one.

Nook, KingCheetah and Deckard like this.
  13. YOLO

YOLO Member

Just posting information that’s coming across that I’m seeing. Wasn’t mean to be political. At least that’s not what I intended here. I guess the link to the study itself would have been better haha

14. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

It's a nice theory, but much caution in reading too much into it is needed given significant differences in access to tests between states. There is also not a whole lot of difference in the scheme of thing between Neb (11%) and Rhode Island (14%) but one is near the bottom (43th) and the other near to the top (2nd) in population density ranking.

Commodore likes this.
  15. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

someone help me with the thinking here...

"For the test Miami researchers are using, about 10% of the results could turn out to be wrong, inaccurately indicating that a person has had the disease, according to a study conducted during the early outbreak in Wuhan, China."​

With maybe 10% false positive, how is any result that isn't significantly above 10% useful?

"Kobetz said that the team didn’t plan to do further validation on the tests, which have been endorsed by the CDC, and would instead be adjusting statistically for the proportions of false results."

“We trust our randomization and study selection,” she said. “We can say with 95% or so confidence that our estimate is correct.”​

But it seems they are using some stats... would be nice if they release the data and their stats method.

Nook likes this.
  16. DreamRoxCoogFan

People who left the house yesterday or today: how has Houston been doing with maintaining social distancing? I heard from friends that there was a big rush at some stores yesterday but haven't seen much coverage about if people are still staying home and apart from each other

17. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

That's Princess Esther to you buddy.

[6 people are talking about this]

Deckard and B-Bob like this.
  18. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Yeah, it does seem like reporting a 10% signal in a population, plus or minus... 10%, is an inconclusive measurement.

robbie380 and KingCheetah like this.
  19. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

It's good news that it's more widespread than thought. While that makes the case mortality rates lower, it's still concerning at how severe the bad cases can get. The seasonal flu doesn't seem to worry hospitals like coronavirus has.

My personal feelings is the elderly and vulnerable should continue to stay at home. Most people can go back to normal with current social distancing and hygienic practices in place. The at risk demographic can resume normal activities only if they have tested positive for antibodies.

YOLO likes this.
  20. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

Hakeemtheking and KingCheetah like this.