1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Evaluation and data collection could be different.

For example, France didn't include deaths in nursing homes in the first 1 or 2 months and suddenly had a number explosion because they added several thousands of deaths that occurred weeks ago from said nursing homes.

France only collected numbers from hospitals.

I am convinced some countries are withholding numbers until they feel comfortable to announce them at a later point.

malakas likes this.
  2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

De Guzman. :p

FrontRunner likes this.
  3. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

anti body tests coming back very high. gotta open everything back up.

4. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Thats old school don **** right there. You take care of the little people and they will have your back.

RayRay10, Andre0087, arkoe and 2 others like this.
  5. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

6. Gdaliya

Gdaliya Member

I agree with you, the bigger question for me is which countries do count deaths outside of the hospitals?

Here is a point about that from Belgium and how it will impact the tourism industry( personally i don't see myself going abroad anytime soon but who knows?)
    https://www.hln.be/nieuws/binnenlan...ordt-een-probleem-voor-ons-toerisme~a4f49b02/
    "We are told by the tourism sector that we are being labeled as 'high risk country'. its bad for our image and will have bad impcat on incoming tourism to the country".

malakas and daywalker02 like this.
  7. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

It may be too early to tell, but it looks like Texas really dodged a bullet. The Harris County/Houston curve looks amazing too. The peak looks like it was a week ago or so. I know that we weren't testing as much, but I think part of it was there just weren't as many people sick. We only had ~10% positivity rate. The private clinic testing site near my house is basically empty every day I drive past it (in North Harris County).

I guess a couple things:

1. We just didn't have as many imported cases from over seas
    2. Despite the Rodeo going on too long, we didn't have events like Spring Break or Mari Gras that caused outbreaks like in Florida and Louisiana.
    3. People tend to live more spread out. Despite having 4 of the largest 10 cities in the US, we don't have huge population density. People are more likely to live in a single family home, plus even our apartment complexes tend to be different. In Houston, even if you live in an apartment, you are very likely to have your own front door and not share a front door/lobby/elevator like you do in New York.
    4. The trend sort of shows that perhaps weather does matter. We've had a hot Spring in Texas, especially in the Houston area. Could this have greatly helped? Is this why Southern hemisphere countries have done pretty well? Its been their summer...might we see an uptick in places like Australia?

Hakeemtheking and snowconeman22 like this.
  8. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I honestly think that this virus has been here for over 6 months and most of us had it and thought it was a cold. My 2 year old had pneumonia in January and I know two other people who had pneumonia early this year as well. This was really weird to me then because who gets pneumonia at that age? But it makes sense in retrospect. And I think that will be the overall gauge when it's all over and a good sample size is tested. We all have had it.

However, I don't think we should take a cavalier attitude about this because most of us have parents or grandparents who -are- high risk and this thing can still kill them. Honestly, it's all better safe than sorry. Don't rush it.

mikol13 and R0ckets03 like this.
  9. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

A 34 year old ESPN reporter died of pneumonia in December.

I wonder if that was COVID19.

pahiyas and Nook like this.
  10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Belgium has the highest mortality rate per capita.

They evaluate every death in nursing homes.

It is also a pity that they destroyed 6 million FFp2 masks from the Swine flu era.

11. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Probably a fair chance it was covid induced

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...off-stage-4-non-hodgkins-lymphoma/4488129002/

Shortly after his passing, Aschoff's fiancée Katy Berteau posted on his Twitter account the cause of death was attributed to hemophagocytic lymphohistiocytosis (HLH), an unregulated over-action of the immune system. He initially entered the hospital with an advanced case of pneumonia.

On Wednesday evening, Berteau took to Aschoff's Twitter to reveal that doctors found Stage 4 non-Hodgkin's lymphoma in his lungs after his death.

"Both pneumonia and non-Hodgkins lymphoma can trigger HLH in the body and that is seemingly what happened with Edward," Berteau wrote as part of an emotional nine-tweet thread. "All of this combined is what led to his very rapid decline those last few days, and ultimately his passing."

12. jchu14

jchu14 Contributing Member

I've been trying to figure out how the new information (if true) of the anti-body being present in more people than expected should impact policy.

I am interested in your reasoning why you think this information (5-10% of the population have/had been infected) makes it better to open everything back up now.

13. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Not an expert, but if more people have had it than expected....it is a lot less deadly (though still deadly) than death/reported cases indicate. Also, it likely means that we are likely well past the peak in cases than just a little if at all. Granted, I don't think everything should be opened without restrictions as I expect US will need to keep some restrictions up until cases are low enough and adequate testing is available to help contain future outbreaks.

14. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

This seems reasonable
    https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/06/...gion=BELOW_MAIN_CONTENT&context=storyline_faq
    A recent American Enterprise Institute report by Scott Gottlieb, Caitlin Rivers, Mark B. McClellan, Lauren Silvis and Crystal Watson staked out some goal posts.
    • Hospitals in the state must be able to safely treat all patients requiring hospitalization, without resorting to crisis standards of care.
    • A state needs to be able to at least test everyone who has symptoms.
    • The state is able to conduct monitoring of confirmed cases and contacts.
    • There must be a sustained reduction in cases for at least 14 days

No Worries and malakas like this.
  15. Gdaliya

Gdaliya Member

Yes , paying the price for counting everything.
    I don't know if it would be something that people will look on before they choose their vacation destination.

I'm not an expert about masks , any reason to destory masks?(i might be wrong here but they do have an expiration date?).

daywalker02 likes this.
  16. Major

Major Member

Well, now we've moved from "what's the harm?" to "potential actual harm?" Not peer reviewed/etc, but...

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/21/health/hydroxychloroquine-veterans-study/index.html

Study finds no benefit, higher death rate in patients taking hydroxychloroquine for Covid-19

Coronavirus patients taking hydroxychloroquine, a treatment touted by President Trump, were no less likely to need mechanical ventilation and had higher deaths rates compared to those who did not take the drug, according to a study of hundreds of patients at US Veterans Health Administration medical centers.

The study, which reviewed veterans' medical charts, was posted Tuesday on medrxiv.org, a pre-print server, meaning it was not peer reviewed or published in a medical journal. The research was funded by the National Institutes of Health and the University of Virginia.

In the study of 368 patients, 97 patients who took hydroxychloroquine had a 27.8% death rate. The 158 patients who did not take the drug had an 11.4% death rate.
    "An association of increased overall mortality was identified in patients treated with hydroxychloroquine alone. These findings highlight the importance of awaiting the results of ongoing prospective, randomized, controlled studies before widespread adoption of these drugs," wrote the authors, who work at the Columbia VA Health Care System in South Carolina, the University of South Carolina and the University of Virginia.

Researchers also looked at whether taking hydroxychloroquine or a combination of hydroxychloroquine and the antibiotic azithromycin, had an effect on whether a patient needed to go on a ventilator.

"In this study, we found no evidence that use of hydroxychloroquine, either with or without azithromycin, reduced the risk of mechanical ventilation in patients hospitalized with Covid-19," the authors wrote.

17. malakas

malakas Member

I am following closely Iceland and UAE who have tested the most people of their country to see the true mortality rate - or at least as closer ot the truth as can be without REAL antibody tests.
    It seems both are similar and it will end up being around 1%.

18. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Georgia is opening back up without enough testing. The confederate states will always be a special bunch.

19. malakas

malakas Member

Right now we know that France and Belgium count hospital + elderly homes and the not overwhelmed countries- who bother.
    For example here we do - considering there are only like 2-5 deaths each day and the hospitals are emptier- than normal.

I won't be surprised if i.e Finland, Denmark, Austria etc count every death - home deaths, hospital deaths and elderly home deaths.

Spain has begun to count but at this point there are like too many deaths already that happened before they begun counting.

We know that the UK doesn't even count elderly homes ( the estimation is + 2000 at least deaths just from that alone)
    and we also know that Germany doesn't test the already dead.

Italy after the worst is over will probably revise their numbers to account for the home + elderly home deaths because the public will demand it.

20. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

It means
    1. the virus is more widespread than we previously thought
    2. the mortality rate is FAR FAR lower than we thought
    3. the new discovered immune population with slow the spread

I saw in the news 30% of people living in apartments didn't pay their rent for April. That is a bad bad situation for them. We are much worse off than it seems on the surface economically.