1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. Gdaliya

Gdaliya Member

Something intersting
    https://www.hln.be/nieuws/binnenlan...iet-noodzakelijk-immuun-tegen-virus~a56a80ca/
    Herman Goossens a renowned belgian microbiologist casts doubts about the coronavirus immunity idea.
    According to him it looks like not every person that was infected had developed enough antibodies to be immune.
    They also mention some reaserch that was done about it in Italy and Spain but i didn't find any information about that.

CCity Zero, daywalker02 and malakas like this.
  2. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

thought this was a good point

it's a thread so click on it to read the rest

Nook, malakas, ThatBoyNick and 5 others like this.
  3. Buck Turgidson

Yep, we got screwed out of a proper crawfish/crab boil last weekend.

malakas and daywalker02 like this.
  4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The One that flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

malakas and robbie380 like this.
  5. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

US case plateau is correlating with yet another stall in test capacity. What a disgrace.

malakas and CCity Zero like this.
  6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

7. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Surprised this isn't what EVERYONE is talking about. Death? Death isn't the biggest problem here.

I care about my overall health. I eat right. I go (or went) to the gym 4 days a week. I don't smoke. And now you have politicians making decisions based on a 2pt spectrum of "healthy" or "dead".

malakas likes this.
  8. HTM

HTM Member

I would think for someone who finds flying scary space travel would be that X1000.

mikol13, malakas, ThatBoyNick and 3 others like this.
  9. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I made a bag of Viet Cajun crawfish a couple of weeks ago. Crawfish prices are really good because no one is having boils.

10. Reeko

Reeko Member

A few hundred conservative activists, some waving flags supporting President Donald Trump, demonstrated on the steps of the Texas Capitol building on Saturday to call for an end to social restrictions aimed at curbing the spread of the coronavirus.

The protest also attracted so-called anti-vaxxers, who propagate disproven conspiracy theories about the alleged dangers of vaccines.

One such protester, who attended the rally with her 7-year-old daughter, told The New York Times she's "not worried about catching the virus" and added that if she or her family did, "I feel that we're healthy enough to fight it."

She held a sign reading, "Make Texas great again! Please open everything!" and her daughter held one reading, "Bill Gates can keep his poison — I'm homeschooled! No mandatory vaccines!!"

The protest in Austin, which wasn't any bigger than the typical protests about other issues during the legislative season, came despite Republican Gov. Greg Abbott's announcement Friday that he plans to start easing such restrictions next week.

The rally was one of several that small-government proponents and Trump supporters have held or plan to hold in states around the country. Similar protests have occured this week and were planned for the weekend in cities across the country, including in Lansing, Indianapolis, Columbus, and Salt Lake City.

Hundreds of protesters descended on Michigan's state Capitol last Wednesday for a demonstration, called #OperationGridlock, to protest the state's strict stay-home order. Many of the protesters were armed and carried pro-Trump signs, Confederate flags, and signs calling Gov. Gretchen Whitmer a Nazi.

Trump took to Twitter this week to urge supporters to "LIBERATE" states led by Democratic governors.

In addition to the planned easing of some restrictions next week, Abbott announced Friday that more relaxed rules would come before the end of April. Texas will begin lifting some restrictions on retailers, will reopen state parks and will allow doctors to resume elective surgeries. He said more restrictions would be lifted April 27.

But many at the Texas Capitol sought an immediate unraveling of restrictions and chanted "Let us work!" in a state where more than a million people have filed for unemployment since the crisis began.

The Texas protest was organized by Owen Shroyer, a host of Infowars, which is a part of a company owned by conspiracy theorist and radio host Alex Jones. Shroyer also broadcast a small protest earlier this week outside the governor's mansion in Texas.

Jones joined protesters on the Capitol steps on Saturday and was quickly surrounded by his fans. He is being sued in Austin for using his show to promote the false conspiracy theory that the 2012 Sandy Hook massacre was a hoax.

Texas has had more than 18,200 confirmed cases of COVID-19 , the disease caused by the coronavirus, and at least 453 related deaths. Texas ranks last in the U.S. in coronavirus testing per capita, according to an analysis by The Associated Press of data collected by The COVID Tracking Project.

malakas and daywalker02 like this.
  11. likestohypeguy

Confirmation bias is a big thing going around. You can use anything to confirm anything you want. Fans of me didn't need to see me in a space ship to already believe what's true. But if you're talking about people that are looking for a reason to believe all the BS that's been said because they're going to believe it no matter what, it's going to be hard to sway them. And swaying them will have nothing to do with me being an astronaut. If you don't live in your strengths, you'll die in your weaknesses. Do first and most what you're good at, and bring others along who are good at your weaknesses. #AnxietyTroopers #Imaginer #SpaceDreams #BeWell

#6451 likestohypeguy, Apr 19, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2020
    HTM and daywalker02 like this.
  12. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Yes, these are all good points. There's a lot more than just mortality to be concerned about.

malakas and Mazulis like this.
  13. Buck Turgidson

Right? It's one of those things that's way more fun with a bunch of people yet I'm tempted to do it for 2.

malakas likes this.
  14. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Viet Cajun crawfish/shrimp ... one of the things I'm missing most during this damn COVID-19. :mad:

malakas likes this.
  15. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Yup I’ve been pointing out that issue of the positive rate. Also, blind spots would be detected quickly by hospitalizations and death rates.

malakas likes this.
  16. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

There is more at the link, but I thought this excerpt was interesting to note.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...ersial-covid-19-strategy-is-proving-effective

Sweden Says Controversial Covid-19 Strategy Is Proving Effective

Pomeroy pointed to some Swedish characteristics that may be helping the country deal with the current crisis. More than half of Swedish households are single-person, making social distancing easier to carry out. More people work from home than anywhere else in Europe, and everyone has access to fast Internet, which helps large chunks of the workforce stay productive away from the office.

And while many other countries have introduced strict laws, including hefty fines if people are caught breaching newly minted social-distancing laws, Swedes appear to be following such guidelines without the need for legislation. Trips from Stockholm to Gotland -- a popular vacation destination -- dropped by 96% over the Easter weekend, according to data from the country’s largest mobile operator, Telia Company. And online service Citymapper’s statistics indicate an almost 75% drop in mobility in the capital.

Sweden also recently pushed back against the notion that there’s little to no social distancing going on.

“We don’t have a radically different view,” Foreign Minister Ann Linde said in an interview with Radio Sweden. “The government has made a series of decisions that affect the whole society. It’s a myth that life goes on as normal in Sweden.”

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I was told Sweden had the highest degree of emancipation, meaning half their decisons made, were made by women in a position of charge.

I respect that.

18. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Can't say I'm a major fan of him lobbing bombs like this out there without any numbers behind them. Seems It would seem only a very small portion of people might have issues like the ones he laid out. I personally know 2 people that have dealt with the temporary loss of taste and smell and they reported no other neurological issues. Can he point to others that have?

19. Buck Turgidson

To be fair, we won't know the extent of those issues - lung damage, liver damage, etc... - for many years.

CCity Zero likes this.
  20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

https://www.livescience.com/coronavirus-wuhan-lab-complicated-origins.html

Bats can have up to 400+ of corona type strains....... Only 7 types are dangerous to a human.