1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Question: is it possible to have the virus in your hair or on your forehead, then sweat it into your eyes/nose?

2. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I agree with this post. I'm also very skeptical of the PRC numbers but I don't believe that they are wildly different. I can believe that the PRC deliberately hid numbers of infected and death. I also believe they probably undercounted by attributing what were COVID deaths to other causes. The steps they took, which were far beyond anything being done in the US, I can believe did have a very strong positive effect on controlling the virus. If they don't actually have the disease under control it will become obvious very soon.

3. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Sorry it's only a video, but they are conducting antibody testing in Cali

https://www.ktvu.com/video/672109?f...VoXw28V9959fCUc7KQF7GOlYJ0qNVeQ8cMWEwQMYdsFw8

Stanford studies coronavirus' early spread in California, looks at herd immunity potential
    Researchers at Stanford University are trying to determine if the novel coronavirus may have been circulating in California as early as last fall and whether that is playing a role in the relative slow spread in the state.

B-Bob and Mazulis like this.
  4. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't know but this is something I wonder about too. As I've been running and biking I pretty much always get sweat in my eyes. I often have to stop and wipe my face or my eyes will sting and I'll be running blind. I saw a thing warning that you need more social distance when exercising especially running or riding behind someone because the virus can be spread farther in the wake created.

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Well, they do not have nurses wear garbage bags but I can assure you that nurses are not allowed to wear their bought masks and have to share with everyone else too, get scolded at times.

In many countries in Europe shortage of equipment is evident.

#5845 daywalker02, Apr 9, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
    malakas likes this.
  6. HTM

HTM Member

My roommate thinks he had it in January. Had a fever and went to a pcp and got tested for the flu but was negative. Could be something to this having spread more widely and earlier then we thought.

RayRay10 likes this.
  7. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Wrong thread, belongs in D&D, I think.

8. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I've been having dry throat with asthma-like scratchiness in my lungs for more than 3 weeks now. Friends and colleagues I've been in contact haven't mentioned anything though. Who knows wtf is around in California.

Those Staples gatherings for Kobe late Jan probably didn't help things, but didn't seem to harm either.

daywalker02 likes this.
  9. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

I am guessing not very likely unless you are Patrick Ewing.

10. Major

Major Member

The question here would be why it didn't overwhelm hospitals somewhere along the way. If it was spreading in California for months, at some point, you'd have had an Italy or NYC situation there, right? Even if doctors didn't know what it was, people still would have been having lots of trouble breathing and coming in and needing ventilators, no?

Mazulis, ArtV and robbie380 like this.
  11. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Yup that's why we need the antibody testing and I'm glad to see they are conducting a pretty large study.

12. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

This should be interesting, but other studies from China and examples in Japan seem to point to being able to be re-infected even after recovery. But in some of these cases there was doubt whether the people that were "released" were really "recovered". Fauci said a few days ago that there may be some immunity for those who have recovered, but he thought the immunity for those infected in the last month or two would only last until fall/winter in most cases. This virus is freaky.

malakas likes this.
  13. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Yes I saw a note about that and the researchers used the term "reactivation" of the virus in those people "reinfected". I thought that was an interesting word choice and I'm curious what develops from this.

Mazulis and malakas like this.
  14. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

15. Gdaliya

Gdaliya Member

16. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Seems the virus would spread farther simply from breathing harder.

Sweat gets in my eyes from merely bring hot. A headband might be my next purchase.

17. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

18. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

https://www.bccourier.com/these-are-the-first-lessons-of-the-heinsberg-study/

The Bonn virologist Hendrik Streeck released the first interim results of the field study on Thursday “Covid – 19 Case-Cluster-Study “ in the community Gangelt in the district of Heinsberg. The district in North Rhine-Westphalia was one of the first in which the Coronavirus spread.

These are the first, but already representative interim results:

• at 15 Percent of the examined Gangelts residents were found to be infected
    • The likelihood of dying from the disease lies in gear at 0, 37 percent
    • For comparison: According to the Johns Hopkins University, the lethality in Germany is currently 1, 98 Percent – five times higher.
    On the pilot study, which was about the Dunke According to Hendrik Streeck, about 1000 residents took part in finding out the virus' s number and transmission routes. The study was based on questionnaires, throat swabs and blood tests (for testing antibodies that indicate immunity). The data had been collected in the past ten days. The interim results of the representative study now presented are based on evaluations of previously 509 people.

Virologist Hendrik Streeck considers an beginning relaxation of the strict conditions possible in the wake of the coronavirus pandemic. Because most people were “so active and disciplined”, it was now possible to go into a “phase two”: a withdrawal of conditions while ensuring the hygiene measures. “We have learned how to behave properly in terms of hygiene,” said Streeck.

Background on the corona virus:

• Coronavirus dark figure: Why statisticians of 222. 000 Going out infected in Germany
    • Useful or Not? Respirators in the fact check
    • The big FAQ about the pandemic: All important questions and answers about the coronavirus
    • Make mouthguard yourself: Instructions for making one Respiratory mask
    • Loosening of bans on coronavirus: This is how Germany can succeed in the exit strategy.
    • Follow the events related to the corona virus in Berlin in a separate live blog
    The Bonn infection protection expert Martin Exner underlined the importance of hygiene measures in the fight against the corona virus. The virus could also survive in areas over a long period of time. In order to trigger a corona infection, the virus had to get into the mucous membranes – for example through the mouth or eyes. It is therefore important that the population learns to deal with the risks appropriately.

Thoroughly washing hands with soap detaches the viruses well and can “inactivate” them, said the director of the institute for hygiene and public health. It sounds banal, but it is important to train such hygiene measures.

Also Gunther Hartmann, Professor of Clinical Chemistry and Pharmacology at the University of Bonn , reported that after initial cautious assessments, it can be assumed that the severity of the disease could be reduced through hygiene measures. “The number of pathogens affects the severity of the disease in the case of initial infections.”

District Administrator Pusch: “We have numbers that encourage us”
    The District Administrator of the Heinsberg District, Stephan Pusch , thanked the scientists and the people in Gangelt. 80 Percentage of residents contacted would have agreed to participate – a high number. “It is sensational that you already have results today,” he said.

Pusch emphasized that the curve of new infections would flatten out in a circle. “We have numbers that give courage.” Currently, in Heinsberg 60 to 70 percent of intensive care beds occupied. There is no overloading of the health system.

But he does not want to say yet that one is “over the mountain”. “We were still lucky in misfortune. We slipped past a catastrophe, ”said Pusch, referring to the fact that early measures had been taken to contain the corona virus. In retrospect, that was correct.

First infection on 25. February detected
    The coronavirus was first seen in North Rhine-Westphalia on 25. February in a couple from the district of Heinsberg. After that, the district had developed into one of the areas most severely affected by the epidemic in Germany.

Prime Minister Armin Laschet convened a twelve-member panel of experts at the beginning of April, which developed criteria and standards for measures to contain the pandemic and to open up social and public life. So far, all measures are only up to and including 19. April was imposed. ( with dpa / Reuters)

19. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Gurgled warm water and salt several times a day. I've discovered that this is the recommended home treatment in many cultures around the world, including some western physicians.

20. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I guess to me it seems clear that it has to be much more widespread due to the extremely infectious nature of this virus. It is still very dangerous to at risk demographics and likely 10x more deadly than the flu overall, but maybe shutting everything down isn't the right course to take going forward like the German doctor said in the interview above.

saitou likes this.