1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Are the Pelicans toast? We're watching Thunder at Pelicans -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Democrats are proposing a more robust option.

$2k now to all Americans, another $1.5k that triggers in a few weeks based on income levels and then additional auto-triggers for $1k after that if the crisis continues.

2. Pringles

Pringles Member

What would help me personally is if they paused mortgage, loan, and utility payments? And hopefully, a law that will require landlords (commercial + residential) to not require to be paid rent money?

France and Italy have done something like that.

3. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

malakas likes this.
  4. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Some people value health over money. Either way, is a city-wide mandate like that enforceable? I have no idea. Obviously businesses that serve customers on site would have to close shop. But what about the ones that don't?

5. malakas

malakas Member

France puts a limit to the purchase of paracetamol.
    From tomorrow every client can buy one bottle if he is without symptoms and two bottles if he is sick.

6. malakas

malakas Member

It will happen in america too. Sooner or later.
    This will last more than 4 months. There is no other way.

Yung-T likes this.
  7. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I would definitely not be cool with the govt cutting my rental property income. But I wouldn't be irate.

8. malakas

malakas Member

New york is one of the biggest cities in the world and the most densely populated city in america.
    A completely different ballpark than most other areas.
    More extreme measures WILL have to be taken like they did in Wuhan.
    It is simply impossible to limit the spread otherwise in such densely populated cities.

9. malakas

malakas Member

they said on the news the peak in Italy is estimated on 25 March...25!
    More than a week from now?!? Omg!

Pringles likes this.
  10. GIGO

GIGO Member

Pringles likes this.
  11. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

That's considered a tax for "his people"

12. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I think at some point stopping the spread becomes impossible to do without damage that isn't sustainable.

13. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I know it’s tough man .

if you give direct stimulus... how much of that $ would go directly to landlords or property managers ? If you made a Law forcing “free rent” or freeze on payments (whatever channel) then that does kind of **** over landlords ..

So what’s a middle ground ? How can people come together ?

I like the idea of direct stimulus. Some landlords are going to be cool and differentiate themselves by telling people not to worry about rent or cutting the rate .... others will demand the full amount , and some tenants will pay some will try to take advantage of the situation and not pay (like are you really going to evict right now?)

it’s an opportunity for landlords and renters to exercise some common respect and restraint. If 1k is passed , landlords know that ppl have $ to pay rent ... and many will . But if you are out of work and have others that depend on you .. the 1k may not be enough .

like I said tough situation . I’m lucky I have savings and rent isn’t that high .... I’m also still getting paid . I’m lucky so far .

that being said , regardless of how you get through this , leases are usually a 1 year thing right ? If your landlord is a hard ass and your lease is finishing up then you have incentive to change places .

I’m saying that as much of a problem as corona is , it’s also an opportunity for good business to shine through

malakas and Pringles like this.
  14. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

Living in NYC here. Working from home. Streets are dead, it's nuts. I see more activity at 3:30 am on a Tuesday than I do right now (with the exception of grocery stores, which are poppin).

Nook, malakas, Pringles and 1 other person like this.
  15. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

With the numbers of deaths they have had I'd be really surprised if hundreds of thousands are not infected. they only have 31k official cases currently. A week seems very optimistic.

malakas and Yung-T like this.
  16. cheke64

cheke64 Member

ERs are busy with people that have small coughs.
    This virus is very tricky and mimics colds. Docs think patients just have pneumonia but little do they know that's just a symptom. It's just Russian roulette without the covid testing.

Hakeemtheking, malakas and Pringles like this.
  17. Pringles

Pringles Member

Yep I get it - I have rental properties too, and there's just no win win situation right now. Halting mortgage payments I feel like is literally the start of a bad domino effect for the economy especially in the financial sector.

Weird world we live in. Who would have thought a damn virus would have came in and shake our world. I'm still in denial right now.

Hakeemtheking and snowconeman22 like this.
  18. Pringles

Pringles Member

We've been in the situation for almost two weeks now, and we still don't have tests available.

What a load of crap.

19. Senator

Senator Member

A lot of people who actually follow global policies. This is the 4th global virus from China in the past 2 decades, people knew it was a matter of when, not if. The only reason you even know about it is because it's shaking up your precious economy.

20. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Love that fascism!

We might be headed down that path:

Currently:

1. National Emergency
    2. Shelter in place orders
    3. Texas Governor calling up the Texas National Guard

Future???

4. President declares martial law which places the population under the control of the military
    5. Checkpoints, papers....profit???