1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Here's why small ball sucks in the playoffs.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Siu0410, Feb 7, 2020.

1. Siu0410

Siu0410 Member

2016-2017 Warriors would like to tell you otherwise.
    Below are the MPG + Production of their bigs in the playoffs.

[​IMG]

Before anybody tells us we don’t have great shooters in Curry, Klay, Durant, Donkey.
    It‘s a good time to be optimistic, we have 2 MVPs + elite defenders in RoCo and PJ.

We are NOT stuck at 9th seed, 14th pick for years with Kevin Martin as our best player anymore.

2. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Your thread title is misleading and does not match up with the intent of your post. Well to me anyways.

3. arabrocket

arabrocket Member

Wtf is this thread ?

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I knew someone would post this - and he actually counters his own point, our shooters are not elite, we are a streaky 3pt shooting team.

Not a single 40+% 3pt shooter.

DD

Highlyrated and snowconeman22 like this.
  5. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Siu0410 has sort of spoken.

6. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Covington, Harden, Eric, PJ and House can be counted on to hit a three. This is silly. 40% or not, these guys can shoot 45% for a stretch of games and the spacing has never been this good. Just enjoy this DD, it's going to be a fun ride that probably won't end in a championship (but 29/30 teams have the same fate so let's watch this mad experiment because we weren't winning as is).

7. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

read the sig...

8. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I love Michael Jordan too.

kjayp likes this.
  9. DaDakota

Yeah, I hear ya, but for me, it is ring or bust, I know that only one wins it, my goal for the team is just to be a contender - and I don't believe we are anymore - nor were we before the trade either - we were 2 years ago - just been getting further down that rabbit hole.

I understand going all in on Harden, his window is now, same for Russ, just would have preferred they get a 6'10" guy that can shoot the 3ball and play post D - a Mehmet Okur type.....

But whatever, it tis what it tis - will cheer for the team - but deep down, I think it is fools gold.

DD

Highlyrated and treyk3 like this.
  10. treyk3

treyk3 Member

I agree that we haven't been a real contender for two years, but we were a contender because our defense matched our offense. Defense in the interior is a fallacy that teams are chasing for no reason. Rudy Gobert may be the best rim protector in the NBA since Hakeem but his team hasn't sniffed the WCF. Our defense hasn't been as good as it was that year since we lost Ariza and LMM. It's a little worse so far this season than last. Capela has been there through it all.

The Rockets got Bruno Caboclo, and I hope he becomes your new infatuation. If he sniffs the rotation, you are in for a treat because that means he finally blossomed into the player that he can be. He is listed at 6-9 but video shows him closer to 6-11 and has a 7-7 wingspan (he looks taller than KD in his game from April 2019 vs the Warriors). He can shoot but hasn't done so this year.

11. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

Yo tambien

12. DaDakota

I was on the Bruno train years ago...when he was first with us......and wanted him called up from the G-league....so yeah, I hope he becomes that guy.

DD

13. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Same here, I think he's ready. I think he was hidden in Memphis because they have so much talent at the 4/5. Bruno just no longer had a role due to his short contract and the fact that they committed so much draft capital to the 4/5 in JJJ and Brandon Clarke along with trading for and signing Jonas long term.

D-rock and hakeem94 like this.
  14. JHarden713

JHarden713 Member

Fair point, but at the same time, everyone can shoot except for Russ. Gsw had Iggy n Green on the floor, when they ran their small lineup, who aren't great shooters, especially Green, people dared him to shoot most of the time. Thats not the case with us

diehardrockets and hakeem94 like this.
  15. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

The exact reason I turned sigs off long ago.

RayRay10 likes this.
  16. D-rock

D-rock Member

Keep being you.

DeBeards likes this.
  17. elmotsang

elmotsang Member

I still suggest to sign a previous all star center or power forward for backup. Last year,Marc gasol grabs some important rebounds to secure the win

18. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

That's exactly how I see it , a mad experiment ....

Before last nights game , I was very salty .... and have moved to cautious optimism. This may just work.

It worked for one game against the best team in the NBA and Harden had a very pedestrian night. You'd think if Harden struggles like that , this team would have no chance to win but this style so perfectly suits Westbrook that they have a shot even when Harden's off , you really cant double both of them effectively without giving up easy buckets and if Westbrook is attacking the rim like that .... its going to be a long night for the opposition.

A playoff match up still has me concerned as the Lakers really didn't pound it inside like I thought they should have. This would be a hell of a playoff series .... And of course the Rockets were playing 5 on 8 as usual against the Lakers. That phantom foul on Covington , I thought no way they don't overturn that and 3-4 other questionable calls ... all going the Lakers way.

Remlap, D-rock, RayRay10 and 2 others like this.
  19. AXG

AXG Member

It worked well for Golden State a five year stretch, not just one. Their "death" lineup was all perimeter players.

D-rock likes this.
  20. Hard_foul

Hard_foul Member

I love your positive energy

D-rock likes this.