1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sous vide question - ribeye

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Haymitch, Jan 11, 2020.

1. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Yes, this too, hahah, makes cleaning a lot easier for sure

FrontRunner likes this.
  2. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

That sounds incredible, hoping to try it soon!

3. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

A Mexican friends family just butchered a pig and cut strips of it and placed them directly on the coals with just some salt and those were some of the best tacos Ive ever had. Im sure the great salsa, being drunk, the freshness of the pork had something to do with it, but man the crispiness of the sear and juiciness of the meat were incredible.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  4. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Wow, I don't think being drunk mattered, just thinking about trying something like that and I'm starving (even after lunch, haha) .

5. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I'll be going this direction from now on as well. Bought an enamled cast iron insert for my Weber propane grill; it replaces one of the grates over one of the burners.

Fun fact: I got the propane grill on EXTREME clearance like 6 months ago, but have not yet had the 3-4 hours to put it together! Taking Friday off just so I can assemble the damn thing (and clean out garage). Fun times, being a parent!

6. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Being drunk makes everything taste better. Thats just scientifical factuals.

Buck Turgidson and CCity Zero like this.
  7. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Haha, yes, this is true too

8. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Ah nice, that should work perfectly. I need to eventually get a new grill... Mine works for now but is about ready to be replaced.

9. Pipe

Pipe Contributing Member

Lodge makes a 14" pizza pan that I use on my grill to get both a smoky flavor and an excellent sear. The pizza pan is easier to handle than a skillet and there is no handle to mess with, but the pan has enough of a lip that you can use the rendered fat from your ribeye to grill up some mushrooms while the steak rests. Delish!

I haven't used the cast iron solely to sear a steak cooked sous vide. If I were to try it, I think I might just put the skillet on top of a charcoal chimney starter to get it really hot and not worry about the smoky flavor.

FrontRunner and CCity Zero like this.
  10. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Thanks for the heads up on this, I'll definitely have to try that out, I need to eventually go back to something like that like that (being able to use charcoal etc). So right now for my grill outside it's just propane grill (not too exciting) and using the skillets, I normally get them crazy hot with the lid closed then open it up, add a little butter and sear them as fast as possible. But the pizza pan idea sounds great especially with different grill set ups

11. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

I"ve never done this but am intrigued. I will have to look into this method...

12. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Ok, so while I didn't cook it, I think I had it at a restaurant. We went to Taste of Texas last week for a buddy's bday. Haven't been in years and one of the fun things to do is hand pick your steak. Well they are all vacuum sealed now, and I immediately thought of this. Well, I ordered my T-bone ($54) medium rare and while it was cooked that way, it didn't have the char I like from grilling over wood grills. Not what I expected from a place like that, and I'm going to have to take a hard pass at this...

13. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Hmm interesting, so when I do it I undercook one level so I can sear it a bit longer in case so I can get a nice sear/crust on it (especially if I'm doing a lot at once), I've also found leaner cuts work the best. Unfortunately in my experience the t-bones/ribeyes etc all seem to taste better to me with more conventional methods due to the fat. But if you do use a sous vide right you can make even a sirloin come out amazing at home. Chicken also comes out perfect

14. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member