1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How About This For An Idea...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Almu, May 31, 2001.

1. Almu

Almu Contributing Member

We all hear about Webber and the hype surrounding him. But what about this:

What about signing both Dikembe Mutombo AND Antonio Davis as free agents for about 3 years each? I don't know exactly about cap numbers and the like but my thinking goes like this. We could let go of some players to max out our cap room and then sign both of them for 3 years and about 10 million per a piece.

Again, I don't know if this is possible or if these players will "fit the new rules next year" but I am just throwing out a possibility. If this is possible, I think this move is better than just signing Webber. Both of these players will greatly enhance our rebounding and interior toughness. We are talking 35 points 30 rebounds per night between them...we hope.

Yea, they are older than what we want ideally. But, Mutombo keeps himself in great shape and Antonio is only a 3 year thing even at 32 or 33?

I don't know. Just an idea and if its possible to do this, then we can use the first pick for that SF that might be available (Jefferson?) and that would give us good up front strenghth to challenge the big boys. The rest of the picks could be packaged or whatever. Damn, this is just all very hypothetical, right? [​IMG]

With Francis and Mobley at the guard position, we could give alot of teams alot of problems.

So, am I nuts? Am I drunk? Lack of sleep? Too much NYC pollution? [​IMG]

Comments?

------------------
    Sleepless in the Bronx

2. Band Geek Mobster

All of the above.

[​IMG]

------------------
    I don't want to waste my time
    And become a casualty of society.
    I'll never fall in line
    Become a victim of your conformity and back down.

3. tacoma park legend

tacoma park legend Contributing Member

I think 35 points between AD and Mutombo is wishful thinking.

------------------

[This message has been edited by tacoma park legend (edited May 31, 2001).]

4. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Antonio Davis averaged 16 ppg on the Raptors last season and Mutombo averaged 12...

I don't really think that average would go down, because neither of these guys got points in the normal flow of offense... most of it was off of good passes or on second chance put-backs. Well, every once in a while, Dikembe posts up, but not enough to effect his scoring average much.

But I don't really see how we could afford to sign both of these guys...

------------------
    What is daylight savings time? And if we are saving so much of it, who's got it all?
    - Mike Warnke

5. verse

verse Contributing Member

ok, one more time...

what makes people actually think that antonio davis is going anywhere?

1) good coach in lenny wilkins
    2) vince carter
    3) in the east playing post
    4) good young nucleus in toronto
    5) not 1 word of him being unhappy in toronto

someone please fill me in, cause i'm lost on all this antonio talk for the rox.

6. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

verse, maybe because he wants his kids to go to school in America and doesn't want to lose half his income to Canadian taxes.

------------------
    Bingbong was set up, led to an untimely death in the prime of his life for no other reason than pure malice. Things like that do not go unavenged. Sometimes it spills out onto the field of play.

7. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

oh, and living someplace where it is warm 9 months of the year is a bonus, too.

------------------
    Bingbong was set up, led to an untimely death in the prime of his life for no other reason than pure malice. Things like that do not go unavenged. Sometimes it spills out onto the field of play.

8. Toast

Toast Member

Mutombo has expressed interest in returning to Philly. Bummer. I wouldn't mind having him on the Rockets.

------------------
    Founding Father of the
    Refs Suck Club

9. MManal

MManal Member

Its great in theory and would be better than signing Webber, but this just will not work on the salary cap. Forget the fact that 10 mil wont sign Mutombo (you seem to be forgetting that his agent is David Falk, and the Sixers would easily outbid that to keep him in Philly). Lets say hypothetically that Mutombo and Davis were willing to sign here for the 10 mil a piece you speak of..... That means the Rockets would need to have 20 mil in available cap room after renouncing their free agents (Hakeem, Shandon, Mo). Also, the Rockets plan on letting Carlos Rogers walk as they will not pick up his option so we'll count that in. Lets suppose Moochie would be kept b/c he would only count about 680K unsigned.

That would leave the Rockets with a grand total of about 16 mil in cap room which is about 4 mil shy of 20 mil. The main point you are overlooking is that Mutombo will likely end up making about the same as Chris Webber since C-Webb can only max at 12.6 mil due to yrs of service. Thus, if the Rockets could somehow sign Mutombo and Davis, they could also sign Webber and Davis. As you can see both scenarios are really far fetched.

------------------
    Check out the Best Source for Draft Info

Draftsource.net

10. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

verse,

the thing about Canada that I said in another thread, and what SamCassell said is one thing, Davis just opted to become a free agent is another, and Davis has expressed going to Orlando, where his family lives, and he has said this for months. And Orlando has the money to pay him if he decided to go to Orlando. Everything you said in your post can be said about Orlando, except you replace Vince Carter with Tracy McGrady and a healthy Grant Hill. I think Orlando would be BETTER with Antonio Davis then Toronto would be with Antonio Davis.
    ------------------
    "I'm not here to protect my reputation, I'm here to make my reputation! Mama Barkley didn't raise no chumps!" - Charles Barkley

[This message has been edited by RocksMillenium (edited May 31, 2001).]

11. verse

verse Contributing Member

thank you, cause i was TRULY lost on this one.

that said, why would we be a better option than orlando? or is this just wishful thinking?