1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ricky Gervais @ Golden Globes

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by omgTHEpotential, Jan 11, 2016.

1. whiskeyred

whiskeyred Contributing Member

Start with his original Office

2. omgTHEpotential

I second this @TheresTheDagger ... The US Office is goofy and funny, but the UK Office is awkward and funny. They're two different shows.

3. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

He's one of the few deeply conservative ultra religious comedians that are actually funny.

BigM likes this.
  4. CCorn

CCorn Member

This applies to the old guy that yells at chairs too.

5. Steve_Francis_rules

He's an outspoken atheist.

GRENDEL and donkeypunch like this.
  6. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

they are quite a bit different. By the end of the U.S. Office you actually cared about Michael because you could see that he actually cares about people in is own weird way. But in the U.K. Office you actually hate David Brent because he's such an A-hole. You never learn to care about him.

I'm pretty sure he was being sarcastic.

7. omgTHEpotential

Interesting, I actually cared a lot about David Brent, and less so about Michael Scott. I think because Brent is a bit more relatable as a character, whereas Michael is just too ridiculous and goofy at times and there just aren't many people like him, lol. But Brent, man a lot of people can relate to that desperation and constant failures at the same time. I think Brent has much more depth as a character than Michael, but Michael has made me laugh more often for sure.

8. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

I am not sure why anyone is high-fiving Gervais, outside of the obvious. It was sad and pathetic. A once hollywood elite, now shunned by a dying breed, makes a last ditch effort to find meaning to his career by torching his ex peers. He is a little too late to a show that has already ended.

REEKO_HTOWN likes this.
  9. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

I never found him to be a hollywood elite, nor do I think he ever cared about being one either. Just a dude sick and tired of being around the hollywood elite and speaking on it.

JumpMan and Yung-T like this.
  10. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

https://www.independent.co.uk/voice...ta-thunberg-isis-climate-change-a9272581.html

Ricky Gervais’s performance at last night’s Golden Globes was enough to make Gene Kelly turn in his grave. Once upon a time, Hollywood was synonymous with elegance and class but Gervais’ tirade of nasty and smutty jokes proved that tabloid culture has leaked its way into even the highest tier of entertainment. Call me a prude but a joke about Judi Dench “licking her ass” hardly screams high society.

If there’s a place for cheap humour, it’s at Friday night work drinks after one too many, an episode of South Park or in a best man’s risqué speech. It’s certainly not on the stage that birthed the #MeToo movement, one that should respect its power for mass influence.

More at link...lol

11. hooroo

hooroo Member

He started like a house on fire with the set up but the jokes fell flat once he started shilling Netflix.

12. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

13. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

He's a glorified neckbeard who b****es about religion and elitism. Nothing new.

14. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Not a fan of hard R, kid disdaining comedy styles. My grandfather had a lifelong bachelor friend like this and I just remember feeling sorry for him when I was five.

15. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Maybe your religious views have jaded your opinion on the man. Either way, cool story bro.

Sajan likes this.
  16. omgTHEpotential

I don't really remember Gervais being a part of Hollywood, much less Hollywood elite. He's produced a few movies, but I don't remember them being too succesful or anything.

17. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

All of his movies have flopped and he's revered himself to become an elitist edge lord. But please tell me his accomplishments outside of the BBC and without his orange headed buddy.

18. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I don't watch much TV (besides sports) and I don't watch any streaming, so I didn't get most of the jokes. But he made the entire room uncomfortable and that's good enough for me.

19. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Some of you are way too emotional. Ricky was doing a performance, he's always liked acting like a bit of a jackass on stage, thats part of the persona, thats not actually him. He's not just some angry guy trying to stick it to the elites and doesn't care about issues, but he also doesn't think anything in comedy is off limits. He's putting on a show, looks like he did a good job

GRENDEL, I am a Donut and Rashmon like this.
  20. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

That is pretty much Gervais point.