1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The B-List free-agent who could make a difference.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Ottomaton, May 27, 2001.

1. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Ok, he's listed at 6-10, (probably 6-9).
    Also, he only has about 1/3 of a season of real playing time. Ok, I'll even give you the fact that his numbers are inflated by playing for a bad team.

But, have you seen the numbers that Nazr Mohamed put up for Atlanta in the final 30ish games?

12.3 points
    9 rebounds and
    1 block
    48% fg
    in only 25 MPG.

He's a quck hustle type guy and a plugger who plays good defense and would look great as a backup C/PF in a Rockets uni.

[This message has been edited by Ottomaton (edited May 27, 2001).]

2. SteveFrancis3

SteveFrancis3 Contributing Member

Yes, I agree. We should definitely pursue Mohammed. Immediately after Ratliff got injured and he got traded he began to play very good basketball. He worked hard and has greatly improved his offensive game. He's like a Cato who has decided to put his potential to use.

------------------

3. Houstone

Houstone Member

I would not want Nazr Mohamed in a rockets uni.

4. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

Well he has said that Dream is his idol.

He is also from Nigeria.

He was a hell of a college player, hope he can pick his pro career up now.

------------------
    Never Underestimate the Heart of a Champion

5. Colby

Colby Member

Why not just bring back Othello?

------------------
    "Chucky who? I thought we were talking about basketball?" Charles Barkley

6. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

how much would nazr be asking for? $1-$2 million a year?

------------------

7. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Atlanta is shopping Wright...they will not lose Mohammed. They see him as integral to their future building, with Ratliff.

------------------
    "You sanctimonious philistines, who scoff at me!"

8. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

rimbaud, what's the word on the street concerning their pick?

------------------
    You're a fine woman, why don't you mock that draft up

9. Bay Rock

Bay Rock Member

rimbaud - "Atlanta is shopping Wright...they will not lose Mohammed. They see him as integral to their future building, with Ratliff."
    -------------------------------------------

Really!!! Any idea what it would take to get Wright. I really like the numbers he put up this year 12/7.5 and at $4.5, he's not cost prohibitive.

Would Rudy and CD pursue Wright? The Wiz for Wright would work Cap wise.

------------------

10. rocketdude

rocketdude Contributing Member

i like wright to every time i looked at his numbers in the papper he would have about 18 points and 12 rebounds. how tall is he? and can he play center that is the place we are weak at if we lose dream

------------------

11. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Wright is listed as 6'11" and 235lbs, played in 71 games and averaged 12.4 points and 7.5 rebounds.He is a backup center.I don't think he is more than 6'10",and is not the answer for us at the 5,but if we can get him for Walt Williams I would do it in a heartbeat.

------------------

12. napster

napster Member

Let's see big man with potential for the Wiz?

C'mon...Walt Williams = Stiff.

------------------

13. Beck

Beck Contributing Member

Is it possible that teams may want to take Walt because he is a free agent at year's end and thus gives them about 5 million of cap space next summer?

14. ROCKETBOOSTER

ROCKETBOOSTER Member

Rimbaud, nice observation. If thats true then the Rockets should take more than a peek through any window of opportunity that allows them to acquire Lorenz Wright. He would be , without a doubt , the best rebounder on the present Rockets, and perhaps the best Rocket rebounder since Charles Barkley.

Man, if we could acquire this guy, and keep it simple by resigning Taylor, and maybe sign Horry, we would be a rolling.

------------------

[This message has been edited by ROCKETBOOSTER (edited May 30, 2001).]

15. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Achebe,

There really has not been much word aboutthe pick...other than they do not really want it and would like to trade down.

I guess they think that since that pick is ideal for a 4 or 5 (which they do not need), they can still get what they want later on. They could definitely be a target for the Rockets, but it will be interesting to see what other teams offer. The Hawks want vets, not high lottery picks.

As far as Wright...the team (and city) basically does not like him. His numbers improved from last year, but they still think he is a lazy underachiever -- like Cato...but better.

Word is he will be actively shopped for a 1/2 starter or maybe future 3 starter.

------------------
    "You sanctimonious philistines, who scoff at me!"

16. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

I remember that game when we came back from 22 pts against Atl and Wright had like 16pts and 17boards.

------------------
    President of the Steve Francis, Jamal Crawford,Larry Hughes, and Charles Woodson fan club.

17. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

And I remember that game when Kelvin Cato had 20 points 13 rebounds and 12 blocks, but that doesn't mean I want him on my team -- Its all about being ready to play with heart every night. Cato doesn't have it, and it seems as though Lorenzen might not either (though I don't know for sure)

------------------

18. carlit0

carlit0 Member

Just get Marc Jackson...

------------------
    "Instinctly u recognize things,now take advantage of what u just recognized!".. Hakeem..

19. Bay Rock

Bay Rock Member

"rimbaud - Word is he will be actively shopped for a 1/2 starter or maybe future 3 starter.

-------------------------------------------
    What about a 1/2 starter or maybe a current 3 starter? Sounds like the Wiz to me. [​IMG]

------------------