1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Webber.. Why not Sacramento?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SandB/Bill, May 29, 2001.

1. SandB/Bill

SandB/Bill Member

How do you guys get from Webbers interview that he would not stay in Sacramento? Come on.. You going to tell me that Houston, Orlando, New York would be any better off at winning a championship than Sacramento? The Kings played the Lakers better than any other team in the playoffs.. Webber said it best, after seeing SA get swept, hr thinks Sac could win a championship. Webber knows that the Lakers are just hot right now.. but he also knows that the Kings did not play near as well as they can when they played in the playoffs. As far as Indiana and Orlando.. kind of funny how Webb said "I heard", what does that mean? the media assuming? Is Houston going to waive the Dream? thats what it is going to take to sign Webber outright, and you can bet that Webber will not screw Sacramento over.. my money is on Webber staying in Sacramento. Sac was right in the running this year and will only get better.. They have the youngest team that made the playoffs and will have a hell of a good nuclius for years to come.

------------------

2. tacoma park legend

tacoma park legend Contributing Member

I think the whole "I want a championship" angle is overrated in importance in the final decision of a free agent. I think it comes down to a couple of things in regards to his decision. First would be money of course, second would be situation, and third would be friends(being able to relate to your teammates).

A factor overlooked by the press is the availability of strip clubs. Clear advantage Houston [​IMG].

------------------

3. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

I guess he's just a big city man. Hopefully, a 4th biggest city in the country man.

------------------
    The Protrolls.com message boards!

Protrolls.com!

And his ghost can be heard as you pass by that billabong: "All I fricking did was steal a bloody little sheep!"

4. 3pointer

3pointer Member

My stance is... what ever he does he does because it is convinient for him and he feels right about it........

------------------
    My blood is made of Rocket fuel !

5. Sane

Sane Member

I think he's leaving for one reason. This was a dream season, and, like me, doesn't see Sacramento improving their record.

I really doubt Christie will put in a better season, I really doubt their PG duo is ever gonna improve, and I really doubt Divac's ability to play another season.

What I see is a team that should put Jason Williams into intensive training this summer, Turkoglu inot semi-intensive training and build around Stojakovic, Turkoglu and Williams. They should try to get a high first round pick for Webber, or possibly two mid-range picks. Pick up a PF and a C.

You're a Sac fan. But can you honestly tell me that a team consisting of:

Dream (very possible)
    Webber
    Draft pick
    Mobley
    Francis

won't have a better shot than:

Divac
    Webber
    Stojakovic
    Christie
    Williams/Jackson

We have the advantage, and don't NEED to use sign and trade. But if it comes to that, we can offer a C, since Divac will prolly retire when/if Webber goes, and two mid-range draft picks to shore up the PF spot.

Personally, I don't see us picking him up. But I think he'd rather be in Houston than Sacramento.

The way I see it, Portland are gonna pick him up. But that's just an opinion.

------------------

6. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

He won't go to Portland. The team is pure cancer and has been for years. Also, demographically, it's a somewhat larger version of Sacramento. So I don't include the Jailblazers in the mix.

------------------

7. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

I could see a Wallace-Webber swap happening.

The reason Webber would probably think he has a better shot somewhere else than Sacramento is

1. Divac won't be around much longer and Pollard isn't enough to fill his shoes.

2. JWill has been a bust these past 2 seasons. Maybe he can turn it around, but he is not the pg of the future.

3. It's in the West.

Webber may opt to go to an inferior team in the East just because he thinks he would have a better shot to make it to the finals. In West, he may choose to go the Rocks if he believes Francis and Mobes have a brighter future than Predrag, JWill and Turkoglu.

------------------
    snap crackle pop

8. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

SandB/Bill you would have to be blind not to see Webber's mannerisms and reactions to staying in Sacramento, not just that interview but ALL SEASON LONG! Vlade Divac all but said he felt Webber was gone. Webber complained that the Kings weren't giving him quality, physical big men to help compete in the West, and everytime somebody asks him if he wants to stay in Sacramento he says "all I want to do is win a championship". I think he is gone myself.

By the way, I think Orlando with Webber is far and away superior to the Kings. He would be better off going to Orlando. And I think he likes Houston because they have go-to guys who can step up in big situations, something he was frustrated about from the Kings, especially in the LA series.

------------------
    "I'm not here to protect my reputation, I'm here to make my reputation! Mama Barkley didn't raise no chumps!" - Charles Barkley

[This message has been edited by RocksMillenium (edited May 29, 2001).]

9. BigDog

BigDog Member

Webber probably doesn't know where he's going. But if I had to guess, I'ld have to believe that he would stay put. He hasn't been in trouble with the law and that's the biggest thing from his parents' angle. He has to represent Maceo Webber and in Sac he's been a model citizen. Forget about all of the stuff of winning a championship, with pops, it's all about image. That will be the deciding factor for C Webb!

------------------

10. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

That's like saying "The Bills only lost that last Superbowl by 28 points"

I think that if Sacramento had pushed the Lakers to six or seven games, Webber might re-sign, but the consensus is that he is gonzo...

One thing is for certain...The Kings won't win ANYTHING with Jason Williams running the point...Dude better stick to dribbling a basketball on Nike commercials, because his shot selection and decision making is severely lacking...

------------------
    If you don't eat your meat, you can't have any pudding!!

11. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Actually, we cannot offer the 2 picks unless they are future picks, because the draft will be completed before teams start making offers at C-Webb. The only way we could do that is if we drafted for their needs, and gave those players to them. That is a little risky IMO, b/c we cannot be sure he is coming here.

------------------
    Now saw off...there's nothing to see here.

12. Houstone

Houstone Member

I think it would be best of Webber just stayed in Sac, for we can just keep Dreamer.

13. hitman21

hitman21 Member

Webber does not like it in Sacramento. He is a selfish player. What nucleus are you talking about? No D Stojakovic, who can't get a shot off against a decent defender. Or is it J. "thug" Williams who is a turnover machine and only shoots 3's in transition. Maybe it's Vlade, who's young legs should carry him halfway through another season. You're right, I don't see why C-Webb would ever leave Sac-town, they're loaded.

------------------
    the best is, the best there was, the best there ever will be.

14. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

According to bob kemp of Sporting news Radio, Webber will stay in sac if he decides to stay out west...a 50% chance

------------------
    You can put it on the BOARD.......YESSSSSSSSS!
    Chicago White Sox Announcer Ken Harrelson

15. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

I still think he will go East. He saw in the playoffs that he can't beat Shaq-Kobe even with a decent team around him.
    If he goes East he will be the best big man. In the West he is behing Shaq, Duncan and probably KG and talent wise is close th Sheed.

16. B-ball freak

B-ball freak Contributing Member

Bob Kemp Blows! He is way too opinionated. I hate the way he treats callers who make good points that are contrary to what he was saying. He makes me yell at the radio whenever I hear him. That is why his punk ass works the graveyard shift.

------------------

[This message has been edited by B-ball freak (edited May 30, 2001).]