1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[HATERS GO HOME] OFFICIAL A WIN IS A WIN THREAD

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Os Trigonum, Oct 30, 2019.

1. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Lao Tzu in the HOUSE!!!

hakeem94 likes this.
  2. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

giphy-1.gif

:p:p

Der Rabbi, hakeem94 and justtxyank like this.
  3. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-at-play/cute-words-curmudgeons/killjoys-and-spoilsports

Killjoys and Spoilsports
    [​IMG]

It’s not all grouch and grump: we delineate between the various kinds of curmudgeons among us. One sort is the person who enjoys ruining others’ good time: the killjoy or the spoilsport.

A killjoy is, as our Unabridged Dictionary puts it:

and a spoilsport is, as you'd expect, one who ruins merriment, fun, or sport.

Both killjoy and spoilsport are representatives of a unique type of word that’s known as a cutthroat, or a cutthroat compound. They are nouns that are created using a transitive verb and a noun, where the meaning is derived from the verb’s action on its following noun. A killjoy is someone who kills joy; a spoilsport is someone who spoils sport. Cutthroat compounds cover a wide range of people and thing, from scarecrows to pickpockets. Many of them are archaic-sounding because of their structure, and possibly because they had their heyday in the 1600s. (Killjoy and spoilsport both showed up in written prose at the end of the 1700s—late bloomers for sure, though cutthroats have continued to be coined to this day.) The cutthroat model (verb + object) hasn’t been as productive in English as the backstabber model (noun + verb + -er), and backstabbers appear more in prose today than cutthroats do.

You can find a compendious list of cutthroats compiled by “rogue linguist” Brianne Hughes at her site Encyclopedia Briannica.

hakeem94 likes this.
  4. bro2044

bro2044 Member

Rockets are finding a way to win down the stretch, and I do like that fight. Should've beaten Milwaukee too, man just a couple of more shots in a horrid 4th.

Last night was somehow my least favorite and favorite game of the season so far lol. I'd never use it is as a blueprint to winning success, but I'm totally going to rewatch the 4th lol.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  5. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

bookmarked for the future reference

Os Trigonum likes this.
  6. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

i doubt it, it seems the astros loss got the best of him

7. sholaemmanuel

sholaemmanuel Member

Sometimes, I'm lost for words at some of these posts. What do we normally clamored for in sports lingo? The saying is 'win the game you supposed to win' The Rockets did that tonight albeit, an offensive bloodbath. I would be mad if the Rockets had lose the game not because I think it's a bad lose but because this kind of lose may bite at the end; but we won. What's the fuss then? I would rather we win than lose. Take the Clippers that everyone on the internet drool about, including some the clutchfans, lose to the Jazz last night by a mile. Should the Clippers hang their head on the lose or should the Jazz exalt herself for the win? perhaps, not. The Clippers may or may not look at the lose as bad at the end and likewise the Jazz might see the win as good. Why then should the Rockets not take this win in stride for when it will count as good win? A win is win no matter how the win came about. The last time I check, the Wizards are still an NBA team who are capable of beating any NBA team. The fact that we came on top after the offensive bloodbath should mean something. Would I prefer the Rockets limit the Wizards to a 79 points and a win? Of course, but it didn't happen that way. So, I will not think less of this win than if the Rockets have blown out the Wizards. My take away, the Rockets will be an offensive Juggernaut this season once everything start to click and the defense will eventually catches up with the offense. It's just a matter of time. Guys, let's give this team some time to work out the kinks on the defensive side. Our defense will match up with our offense in time. I remember some cried about Harden loosing his touch on offense in the last three games but now that he dropped 59 and 1/2 points on the Wizards, what say you now. I say 59 and 1/2 points because the final free throw by the Beard was missed on purpose, So I counted that as 1/2 a point, get it? My point is lets rack up the win now no matter how the win come about, when the team starts to gel and work seamlessly together -- which I know they will in time -- these close game wins will become an after thought. Guys, our offense is okay and our defense will be too.

#87 sholaemmanuel, Oct 31, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
    hakeem94 likes this.