1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

6 High School Players Eligible for NFL Draft

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Rockets34Legend, Mar 5, 2004.

1. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1751956

NEW YORK -- Six high school players and one from junior college have applied for the NFL draft as a result of the court ruling that allowed Maurice Clarett to enter the April 24-25 player selection.

The NFL released the final list of nine players who requested early eligibility after the ruling on Clarett, the running back who played as a freshman at Ohio State but was suspended for last season. March 1 was the deadline for applying, with the players given 72 hours to pull out.

In addition to Clarett and wide receiver Mike Williams of Southern California, there were seven others on the final list, including one from a junior college. Williams, who played two seasons in college, is expected to be a first-round pick while Clarett is thought to be a potential second- or third-rounder.

But most scouts and league officials think the jump is far too great for most underclassmen and high school players.

None of the high school players is among the top 25 college prospects by position, according to Tom Lemming, editor of Prep Football Report.

The seven who applied are Ronnie McCrae, a defensive back from Pasadena City College in California; Joe Banks, a running back from New Directions Academy High School in Baltimore; quarterback John Belisle of Capac Community High School in Capac, Mich.; defensive tackle Earl Fields of Appling County High School in Baxley, Ga.; wide receiver Joe Lee of Gates High School in Tacoma, Wash.; running back Ethan Mitchell of Flowers High School, in Springdale, Md.; and Ken Petitt of Redford High School in Detroit.

2. bamaslammer

bamaslammer Contributing Member

Ridiculous. From comparing players while covering the Falcons to prep players, there is no comparison. They are making a huge mistake.

3. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout Contributing Member

Whats reallly bad is that if/when these guys dont get drafted the football careers are basically over since they loose NCAA eligibility.

4. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I disagree. Good for these guys. Even if they don't get drafter (which I doubt), they have NFL Europe. Anybody who is calling these kids idiots certainly aren't thinking about what they would do in the situation. Imaginee a McGahee like accident happening to you, except you're not that good, or the injury is even worse.

5. meh

meh Contributing Member

If NFL Europe would turn into NFL equivalents of minor leagues, then it's not too big a problem. Besides, considering all the crap that's been surrounding college sports lately, it might not be a bad idea to have these kids make the jump.

Personally, I'm in a wait-and-see mode. If these kids just flame out, I'm sure the trend will stop quickly unless you have a freak. Like a Moses Malone for football. In which case, why not?

If these kids can succeed, then there really wouldn' t be a problem, unless you're worrying about overall level of play in the NFL, ala the NBA right now.

6. JamesC

JamesC Member

I heard on 610 sports that a guy from Houston was declaring too.
    John and Lance said he's from an Episcopal high school.

7. tozai

tozai Member

None of these guys were even on Rivals. That means they're not even top 500 players in the nation, meaning they probably were not even D1 offered. Just seeking attention.

8. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I'm still trying to figure this one out. I'm surprised no one started a thread. I think this is some kind of early April Fools joke by John and Lance. The guy is supposedly 5-10 170. They keep saying he averaged 5 yards a carry....with 2 carries.

Anybody else hear them talking about him this week?

9. tozai

tozai Member

It's a JOKE.