1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Whats Up With Winfield?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by mateo, Mar 5, 2004.

1. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

First they say he is signing with the Jets, while the Texans are calling his cell phone and trying to talk him out of it.

Next thing you know, he steps away from the table and is now looking to interview with the Vikings and Texans.

http://www.nypost.com/sports/jets/jets.htm

2. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

I guess you answered your own question.

My uncle's cousin heard from a friend of a neighbor who had a dog that was once owned by a Jets season ticket owner that Winfield is really intent on playing for the texans.

3. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

Is that the same dog who said that Clemens was going to sign with the Astros?

4. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

I thought the first one was a dalgy?

I suppose to make up for my lame uncomical responses I should post something of interest.

http://www.nj.com/sports/ledger/index.ssf?/base/sports-1/107847121873000.xml

Late last night, Buffalo Bills free-agent cornerback Antoine Winfield backed out of a six-year, $30 million deal with the Jets that included a $10 million signing bonus and $18 million over the first three seasons, leaving the club scrambling to fill the void at the position.

Winfield's agent, Richard Katz, was believed to be in favor of Winfield signing the deal. But the player wanted to make other visits, in part because the Minnesota Vikings convinced Winfield he was the top cornerback in free agency and needed to explore the market rather than sign with the first team he visited.

The Jets were so convinced they had a deal with Winfield in place that they were prepared to schedule a press conference for today announcing the signing.

But the Vikings, who are reportedly more than $30 million under the salary cap, were relentless. Coach Mike Tice called Winfield on his cell phone -- as did quarterback Daunte Culpepper, receiver Randy Moss and safety Corey Chavous -- to convince Winfield to at least come to Minnesota for a visit.

In fact, Tice, a Long Island native, arranged for a private plane to be sent to a small airport in Farmingdale, Long Island, to pick up Winfield last night and take him to Minnesota.

Also to be considered: New Vikings defensive coordinator Ted Cottrell, the former Jets defensive coordinator, coached Winfield his first two years in the NFL with the Bills.

The Texans and Dolphins are also interested in Winfield, who is considered by many to be the top cornerback prospect in free agency.

The Jets may now turn their attention to 49ers cornerback Ahmed Plummer. They've also shown interest in Cardinals cornerback David Barrett and the Eagles' Troy Vincent.

Signing a shutdown cornerback is the Jets' top priority in free agency and they targeted Winfield from the start. He visited with the Jets on Wednesday, the first day of free agency, and the club was determined not to let him board a scheduled flight to Minnesota yesterday morning. After being shown around the Jets' facility at Hofstra University and meeting with coaches, Winfield and Katz were driven by limo to New York City for dinner.

The two sides engaged in serious negotiations throughout the night, with the Jets putting on the hard sell. Winfield and Katz remained in New York yesterday afternoon and hammered out the deal. The proposed contract was similar to the six-year, $33.6 million deal signed by free-agent cornerback Shawn Springs on Wednesday with the Redskins that included a $10 million signing bonus.

But Winfield apparently feels he can get more from the Vikings, or perhaps someone else.
    Winfield, 26, is a superior cover corner and an excellent tackler despite his diminutive size (5-9, 180 pounds). He's the type of player who can blanket one side of the field.

New Jets defensive coordinator Donnie Henderson wants to play a gambling, blitz-happy scheme that relies on man-to-man coverage and Winfield would be a perfect fit. Selected 23rd overall out of Ohio State in 1999, Winfield played his entire career with the Bills and last season became the first cornerback in club history to lead the team in tackles.

Critics say he's not a big-play guy -- only one interception in the past 37 games -- but opponents rarely throw to his side. He has 409 career tackles, one sack and 60 passes defensed in his career.

5. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

If Tice is trying to convince him to sign in Minnesota because of the things to do there and the night life then there is no way they can compete with the Texans.

6. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

I have to totally agree because there isnt anything to do in Minneapolis. Houston has a much better night life.

7. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

They do have a Rick's there. ;)

8. Summer Song Giver

He's signed with Minny
    link

9. pariah

pariah Contributing Member

Rats.

10. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

:rolleyes:

If a player's decision on which team he will sign with is based on which city has the best nightlife, I don't want him playing on my team (see Steve Francis)

11. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Let me put my foot in my mouth. I can't believe he picked the Vikes over the Texans. Ahmad Plummer just re-signed with SF so all the good corners are off the market.