1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans first fa signing

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by CriscoKidd, Mar 3, 2004.

1. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

Maybe a little pricey, but a good run blocker who should bolster the texans line.

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/football/8096402.htm

Dolphins lose Todd Wade to Texans

By ARMANDO SALGUERO AND JASON COLE

asalguero@herald.com & jcole@herald.com

Todd Wade is no longer a Miami Dolphin.

The unrestricted free agent right tackle today agreed to terms with the Houston Texans, leaving the Dolphins with only one starting player off the 2003 offensive line. On the first day of free agency, Wade agreed to a five-year contract with $25 million that includes a $10 million signing bonus, according to NFL sources.

Wade had been negotiating with the Dolphins in recent days but the talks failed when Miami declined to pay such a high signing bonus.

Wade, a 1999 second round pick, started all 16 games at right tackle last season. He started all 63 games he played in his Dolphins career, missing only one start in 2001.

The Dolphins cut right guard Todd Perry and center Tim Ruddy and allowed left guard Jamie Nails to enter free agency because they had little designs on keeping him. With the loss of Wade, only Wade Smith remains from the 2003 starting offensive line.

2. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

I was just about to post this too. Good thing I decided to hit refresh to see if someone else beat me to it.

3. Nomar

Nomar Member

He's good.

I'm happy with that signing, and I bet Carr is too.

4. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

Great Pick up, very young and in the prime of his career. Roberie Smith of the Titans may be on the way. He is 6"4 310 lbs. He is a beast and if he signs, we can take Chris Gamble instead of defensive lineman. Both Smith and Wade visted the Texans today.

5. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

Why the hell haven't we waived Charlie Clemons yet. This dud is horrible and makes alot of money.

6. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Roberie Smith and Todd Wade would be an awesome offseason. It'd be really great if they could get a Grant Wistrom or Damien Woody.

7. codell

codell Contributing Member

I guess Greg Randall is gone.

Hmmmmm.

Really wish Wade played LT so we could get Pitts over to his natural LG spot.

8. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

Mebbe this means we use the 10 pick to get the best available, which could mean Roy or Mike Williams, or maybe even Winslow.

9. Buck Turgidson

No doubt. If I'm the Texans & thinking about trading up in the draft, it's for Gallery, not Taylor.

10. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

I was thinking the same thing earlier today, especially if we are able to sign Smith. Although I wouldn't mind trading down to around 15, pick up an extra 3rd pick, and take either Chris Gamble or DeAngelo Hall, although some sources are reporting that Casserly will also make a move for FA CB Antoine Winfiled.

11. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Wow good pickup. Glad to see the good moves are being done.

12. H-Town Info

H-Town Info Member

also i heard 610 that theres a report in tenn. that robaire smith is going to sign with texans also but it will put off maybe until tomorrow or friday. if this is true, my god we have drastically improve our d line. i guess the texans will look for secondary help in sean taylor or chris gamble. they could go for the best player available which could mean trading up to get gallery (unlikely but he has boselli potential), sean taylor which i really want for this team or roy williams to give david carr more weapons to choose with johnson, bradford, gaffney. if we did get williams, we have so many options to use. we have 2 great receivers (williams and johnson) and 2 complements of speed and possession (bradford and gaffney), pass catching TEs (miller and dont forget joppru), davis and hollings in the backfield which is good and much improve o-line.

13. meh

meh Contributing Member

Well, signing Smith and Wade certainly goes along with Casserly's strategy of signing for needs, and drafting for talent. With the two lines shored up, it seems we can just pick the best player available in the draft. Especially if we get Winfield also.

Too bad there doesn't seem to be an awesome linebacker in the draft. It's definitely what the Texans would love at this point.

14. Summer Song Giver

Maybe we could get NE to bite on their two first rounders for #10 and draft Will Smith and best available corner. Another guy who I thinks fits the 3-4 well is marquise hill from lsu and the NE picks would be right in range for him. We could draft him and Will Smith if he's there or a corner. So many options, who knows what ill happen and I'm enjoying watching the Texans brass build this team.

15. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

I can't say enough about Casserly and the fantastic job he is doing building our football team. This guy has been masterfull since the first day Mr. McNair brought him down to Houston. Thank's again Bob,

-Tex Trenches

16. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I couldn't agree more. The expansion draft went better than could be expected (with the exception of Boselli), the first 2 drafts were damn near perfect. Even the whole Drew Henson thing is working out.

Anyone in the league who doesn't think this is going to be a top tier team in the next few years is simply crazy. The best thing is, it won't be a team built for just one run. It will be a team with good contracts that will be able to stay together for awhile. I firmly believe that they get closer to .500 this year, if not 9-7. This can all be attributed to Mr. Casserly and Mr. McNair. What a class organization. Bud who?