1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[From GARM with love] China v. GM Daryl Morey’s personal views

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by B-Bob, Oct 6, 2019.

1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

No need. We have vocal activists here who wont be imprisoned for speaking out. But if they do chose to, we appreciate the solidarity.

2. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Those guys seem pretty familiar, don't they?

Just look back at the whole NFL Kneeling saga and you'll see their reaction is exactly the same as Trump and conservative's reaction here.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  3. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

If that happened I would never watch another Chinese black lives matter game again.

calurker, Blatz, RayRay10 and 2 others like this.
  4. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

As we're ruled by dollars, this is a logical extension of cancel culture. Don't let it's defenders fool you.

We'll slowly turn into social media robots with our souls dying inside for real liberalism.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  5. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

That's a fake account. Fertitta's twitter is @tilmanjfertitta and he capitalizes his name in the display name.

Edit: disregard. That's his Instagram account not his twitter account. Looks like he did actually like those comments.

FranchiseBlade and malakas like this.
  6. malakas

malakas Member

thanx for the information. That's a relief.

RayRay10 likes this.
  7. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

Welp, I had to edit the original post...Didn't realize that was Instagram...looks like he actually did like those posts on there. Sorry about that.

malakas likes this.
  8. malakas

malakas Member

a glimmer of hope just to crushed again.

Blatz and RayRay10 like this.
  9. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

I did go over to his Instagram and looked at those specific comments and he either took the like off of the comments or the original screenshot is a fake.

Most likely scenario is that whoever runs his social media platform started handing out likes like candy, someone got wind of it, and they took it down. Doubt that Fertitta had anything to do with it directly.

malakas likes this.
  10. fchowd0311

11. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Wrong move to ban Rockets for what Morey said. The Chinese govt. doesn't have a right to tell the Rockets organization how to manage its employees' political beliefs.

China is sensitive because Hong Kong Protestors have carried American flags, and seem to appreciate the American idea of vocal and public criticism of the govt. China already offered to give the protestors what they initially asked for yet the protests continue. If the Protests continue or succeed, it will set a bad example for the authoritarian style of government the Chinese hope to maintain. Their citizens see an outsider coming in and sticking his nose where it doesn't belong. But what Morey did was very American and exercising something we in America believe is crucial and it is widely accepted here.

China and posters who live in China don't understand that concept. That isn't how things are done there. However, the Rockets aren't a Chinese company. They operate most of the time in the United States.

Morey either did know or should have known that his tweet would not be welcome by China. I don't think he cared. I think since he is supportive of the Hong Kong protests, he didn't want to appear to be supporting doing businesses with govt. run organizations, businesses, etc.

The Rockets don't like losing money so they aren't happy with Morey. So the Rockets need to make a choice. Do they support American ideals and freedoms, or do they sell those for the price of Chinese money going to their organization?

This should really just be a bump in the cultural differences on this international business road.

No Worries likes this.
  12. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Except the German citizens did not partake in the Holocaust. Nice try though. And a very predictable response.

cml750 likes this.
  13. fchowd0311

Maybe it actually was predictable to you. Possibly that could be due to you being a moderately bright dude who probably deduced my argument was a logical conclusion to your premise that an individual ought to not criticize human right violations outside our own country because it might upset citizens of that country.
    I'm afraid I don't grasp how that is relevant? Are you saying the Chinese citizens don't understand what is happening with the Uigher population? Well the Chinese citizens actually do know this occurs because the Chinese government officially acknowledges it. I'm perfectly fine with a American citizen being spammed by bots and brainwashed citizens of another country for him criticizing an autocratic regime. I'll fine to explaining to posters who have hardly posted here and show out of nowhere what exactly they are defending.

14. DeAleck

DeAleck Contributing Member

I think Yao should just go crazy too. He can tweet how much he hates LGBT, or he supports police brutality, or maybe all NBA players should shut up and dribble. Let's see if the NBA cancels him. Let's all go crazy.

15. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

Dang just peeked in the GARM. What a day to go without internet.

#35 Blatz, Oct 6, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
  16. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think that the Rockets need to be sensitive to Chinese culture when they are there. At the same time, they are an American company, and should be allowed to hold on to those values as well.

It would be nice if both sides could learn from this and move forward.

17. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

This tweet sums of this entire ordeal

18. calurker

calurker Contributing Member

The CCP regime is as much “Chinese culture” as Trumpism is an American institution, i.e., not at all. Though they do share the similarity of getting butt hurt when the rest of the world criticizes them and hijack the country to get back at their critics.

19. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Trying to be a little serious:
    I think the butt-hurt is ingrained. I've taken a handful of foreign policy classes over the years at different institutions with American academics, Chinese academics, and former diplomats (pre-Trump years). They were all unanimous in emphasizing the importance of China's past and how it impacts their national mindset. The great humiliations - years of being Japan's b**** and the British Empire's b****. It's a source of shame, anger, little man syndrome and all sorts of stuff...and it didn't happen to current Chinese, but I'm sure there are parallels that can be drawn to people who draw a lot of their current value from their ancestors. Anyhow, while I kind of understand this and thus their governments' valuing of order and security above all else, that need for control and winning and not being seen as treated as lesser has had a lot of ugly consequences.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  20. TheresTheDagger