1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[OFFICIAL] Tulsi Gabbard for President Thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Os Trigonum, Jan 11, 2019.

1. dmoneybangbang

Okay, so no saber rattling against Venezuela, so what’s the plan? Just let it play out?

I just think it’s real easy to take this “no more world police position”. Obama tried that and got roasted for ISIS.

2. zksb09

zksb09 Member

Take the suffocating sanctions off Venezuela. That will increase political stability greatly. At the end of the day, they are a sovereign nation. If this is really about "policing" the bad actors, countries like Saudi Arabia need to be policed first. To be clear, this isn't about policing bad actors, this is about narrow self interest. The effort to overthrow the Venezuelan government goes way back, before Maduro, to the time of Chavez, who nationalized the oil industry.

CometsWin and RayRay10 like this.
  3. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

From a purely practical standpoint, her religion seems like it would torpedo her campaign in a full US Presidential election, even if you only accept the least lurid versions of the story.

It kind of flies under the radar at this point, because Dems are into that whole multicultural thing, but Evangelicals would be screaming bloody murder over it in an actual Presidential campaign.

In short, I'm glad I'm not a fan because I believe she'd be torn to shreds if she were the Dem candidate. I'm not sure why she's getting any serious attention.

Rashmon likes this.
  4. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I suspect you are right on this.

5. ryan_98

ryan_98 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Perhaps hearing it from her will address this.

"Assad is a brutal dictator. In the vein of Saddam Hussein being a brutal dictator, in the vein of Gaddafi being a brutal dictator..."

6. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

I had an interesting chance to talk to an attorney from Hawaii who knows Tulsi personally and has on occasion sat next to her on flights back to Hawaii. The attorney also employs a couple of ex staff members or interns of Tulsi. As exhibited in the debates, Tulsi is very self confident and straight forward. What you see is who she is. It is sort of like SAnders. It drives Tulsi's political staff crazy as unlike most politicians she often shuns the safe non-committal answer to questions. None of the deer in the headlight look of some politicians who seem to be racking their brains for focus poll data before answering a question.

dachuda86, mick fry and Amiga like this.
  7. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

I would support tulsi fully.... trump and clinton both seem epstein compromised (mostly clinton on that but marlago?) and she is a great option. She would win if she ran.

8. mick fry

mick fry Member

I wouldnt say Trump was compromised rich and powerful people cross paths on occasion but I haven’t seen anything that would raise suspicion against him. With the pool to choose from it’s a process of elimination so I would pick Gabbard because of her service, seemingly love for her country and simply everyone else is bat **** crazy.

9. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Eh I can't prove Trump did anything like Clinton clearly did, lol 26 times, but he did ride the plane once and he had Epstein at his club recruiting women. I'm not comfortable with how Trump cowtows to Israel too, lending more credence to him being compromised. The big thing about Epstein is he was recording powerful people with minors and was tied to Mossad. So yeah, I'm just not sure about old Trumpy. (what is funny is people think Russia has dirt on him, but it's way more likely to be Israel)

I've long said I'm not a Trump supporter. I'd support him more if he'd get the hell out of Syria instead of using us as their personal army.

Tulsi on the other hand has everything right about foreign war policy so far, and she is my No. 1 pick. She's a great woman.

mick fry likes this.
  10. glynch

1) Dubya and Cheney's stupid war in Iraq led to ISIS.
    2) Our great allies the Saudis supplied much of the ideology and a lot of the weapons to ISIS.
    3) The US gave lots of weapons to largely non-existent "moderate" rebels who we along with the Saudis and our other great MidEast ally, Israel wanted to overthrow. These "moderates" often defected to ISIS or turned over their weapons to ISIS.
    4) In short ISIS is largely a result of our "being the policeman to the world"

RayRay10, adoo and dachuda86 like this.
  11. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

You are somewhat correct but I feel like you give Obama too much of a pass. In the way you worded this...

12. mick fry

mick fry Member

I’m pretty sure Epstein helped Trump get his freak on but not with underaged girls, in the immortal words of Waylon “There's only two things in life that make it worth livin' That's guitars that tune good and firm feelin' women”. As for Israel I can’t agree.

13. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

They aint voting for her anyway.

mdrowe00 likes this.
  14. dmoneybangbang

Well indirectly. Gabbord would inherit the previous administration's issues and prior decision like how Obama inherited the war. It was Obama's decision to go through with the Iraq withdrawal which created a vacuum for ISIS to flourish and subsequently not directly take them out. It was Obama's decision to not support the Arab Springs uprising with US military, which led to several human rights situations and a migration into Europe.

Sometimes the prudent decision is military action even if its the unpopular choice. Gabbord's stance on Syria is interesting, given that Yemen/Saudi/Iran would be more clear cut.

15. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

The withdrawal was from the Status of Forces agreement signed by the previous adminstration in 2007. Obama requested to the new Iraqi regime at the time that combat troops are still needed. Iraq declined. They have soverignty. Going against their soverignty would be a second invasion of Iraq in a span of a decade.

The vacuum from ISIS started from the civil war that was created from the removal of the Baath party from the invasion of Iraq and the toppling of Sadam's regime.

Blaming Obama for the formation of ISIS is like blaming the clean up crew for the BP oil s.

Also the entire premise of "we pulled out too early" seems pretty flimsy in that we were already there for more than a decade. How many years of a flimsy American propped regime in Iraq with American combat troops as security would it take for no vacuum to be created for an entity like ISIS not to show up?

No Worries likes this.
  16. dmoneybangbang

I’m just explaining cause and effect, not necessarily blaming anyone.

Obama’s actions caused certain effects in the region and I don’t agree with BP clean up analogy in the least.

It would have been wildly unpopular for Obama to support the Arab Springs and swat away ISIS using the US military. Instead we got a wildly unpopular migration into Europe, a murderous dictator in Syria being propped up Russians/Iranians, Arab Spring gets brutally put down, and an escalation of the proxy war between Saudi/Israel and Iran.

Is it all that simple? Of course not, but “not using force” has its own consequences. Not to mention... how many millions were killed in genocide in Africa over the last 3 decades? I wish we had a better system for handling murderous dictators and rebuilding those countries.

17. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

We can't prove it... it's just odd he'd let a reported "billionaire" guy like that recruit people. Am I right in hearing he eventually kicked him out for this stuff? I can't remember where I saw that and if it's true. I do know that we don't know if he helped Trump get his freak on. He wouldn't need that help if he wasn't trying to get something that's taboo. So who knows. I just know that Trump is using us in Syria for Israel. Or it would seem. It's a lot of conjecture but I'd like to see a president stop being such a fredo when it comes to Israel.

18. ryan_98

ryan_98 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

She's taking 2 weeks off from the campaign trail, while the rest of the candidates continue, to do her part.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/...andering-tulsi-gabbard-is-serving-our-country

No Worries, dachuda86 and mick fry like this.
  19. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Her recent interview with Joe Rogan was good. Certainly don't agree on everything but she is probably the most libertarian of anyone in the Democrats+Trump bunch.

20. glynch

It is a last ditch attempt to claim some good came out of the Iraq debacle to claim that we could have prevented ISIS if we were still in a forever war there like Aftghanistan, where we will withdraw with no victory. The Taliban live there and are the largest group and will obviously outlast us. Similarly in Iraq once we destroyed their stable society for lies and reasons to be debated forever.