1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hey Tilman, here's an example of "Whatever It Takes"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mathloom, Aug 3, 2019.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Les was cheap for a billion years and quickly they forget
    Who’s our Draymond Green equivalent?
    Oh we don’t have one

REEKO_HTOWN likes this.
  2. tinman

Supporting Member

Let’s not even factor that in

They are opening a ocean view billion dollar stadium and the fans there aren’t going to pay for a Hollic lineup of Zhou Qi and moochie Norris and Gary Trent

3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Didn't you hear? Eric Gordon is twice the player Draymond is!

tinman likes this.
  4. tinman

Supporting Member

Do people not see the whole picture anymore?

A billion dollar stadium ain’t some Les Alexander hockey stadium called the Toyota center
    It’s a billion dollar stadium with suites for super rich people . It’s Les Alexander’s wet dream but it’s privately funded which Les Alexander would never do cause he’s a cheap owner and forced the city of Houston to pay for it or he’ll move it to Louisville

All these newbs talk about stuff they don’t know the history or situation

Les or Tilman could never do this cause they aren’t rich enough

Les wanted the money two billion of it.

Steve Balmer wipes his butt with two billion

5. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

This thread confuses me. Was the intent of the thread to continue the "Tilman is cheap" gospel or to call out that a team should spend $100 million on a player that has clearly shown he's one a decline even at the age of 29? If it's the former, then okay I'll move on. If it's the latter, well, I guess overpaying 1 year for Chris Paul wasn't a good enough example?

hakeem94 and tinman like this.
  6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

It is just a matter of time till Tilman is in the news again.

steddinotayto likes this.
  7. steddinotayto

I suppose. It's just that I've never seen so many people watch another man's wallet before. @tinman please redirect these guys to that thread I made about Les, with articles citing how much of an ass he was the first few years AFTER the championships (e.g. the true start of his regime) were won.

hakeem94 and tinman like this.
  8. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

This is the dumbest thing I've read in a long time.

Our GM is 2nd best in the league at getting wins out of a dollar. The most likely scenario is that spending more means more wins. There are no guarantees, ever.

If you don't like blame the owner posts, feel free to start the f out of these threads.

9. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Another post whining about criticism of Tilman? Even I'm amazed by the positive reaction to my thread.

Sorry you're tired of Rockets fans being critical of Rockets problems. There are good and bad things about the Rockets and we talk about both. How crazy!

HP3 likes this.
  10. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

You’re confusing correlation with causation here brother. Morey is good at getting value per dollar BECAUSE he didn’t maximize total spend.

Any GM, after having a year where they spend above the salary cap, is going to see that metric drop, because the value per dollar metric is maximized by being able to correct mistakes as soon as possible.

I like to think Morey would be even better if he were able to spend more money per year, but this state isn’t predictive of that. I just think Morey’s smart and can figure it out.

11. steddinotayto

When was the last time Morey overpaid for a role player? Ryan Anderson? Outside of that disaster, Morey has kept it pretty consistent across both ownerships on how much he'll spend on non-star players. When it comes time to pay for All-Star talent Morey (with ownership's green light) he has done so. If he had a Draymond Green on the roster who here thinks Morey wouldn't have given him a deal similar to what Golden State just paid?

12. Quinncy

Quinncy Member

--
    Well then you buy the team.

13. legacygt777

legacygt777 Member

Spending more doesn't necessarily mean more wins. OKC, Heat, Celtics etc all spent more than the rockets and aren't better than the rockets. It applies to all sports.

Astros weren't even a top 10 spending team in 2017. Yanks, Red Sox, Dogers all spent way more and the astros kicked all their asses. It's who and how you spend that's important.

You do know we got another MVP on our team, right? lol

14. legacygt777

legacygt777 Member

Because Tilman is a "sleazy salesman", who did the rockets NOT get because Tilman wasn't willing to pay? Who was the person that would send the rockets over the top and beat the warriors and then the Raptors?

#94 legacygt777, Aug 6, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
  15. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

You do know that this team has had a huge hole at the 3/4 spot the past 2 years right ?

You do know that they haven't spent the majority of the MLE in either year right ?

You do know that every game in the Rockets Warriors series this past playoffs was decided by 6 points or fewer ? First time in NBA history that's happened …. You think maybe using that MLE might have narrowed that 6 point gap?

When you are that close , you do all you can to put your team over the top …. This aint the time to pinch pennies. Save that for when you are mediocre or worse.

Little Bit, mastan and RichieBanks like this.
  16. legacygt777

legacygt777 Member

So who were they supposed to get that would beat the warriors? Who couldn't they afford because Tillman was cheap?

17. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

You can start with Ariza - telling him from the get go he wouldn't be back because of financial reasons.

There were players in FA both this year and last that they could have targeted with the MLE and chose not to.

Lets see where they are to start the season - if they go into the year as is with one of the 3 guys on Exhibit 10 contracts making the roster or if they fill that final spot with a real NBA talent at a position of need.

TheFreak and mastan like this.
  18. Mathloom

Supporting Member

That is why I said "likely" and that there are no guarantees.

If you are going to pick from the 30 GM's which one is likely to win more if given more room, then the wins per dollar metric is heavy support in Morey's favor. Would be absurd to ignore that data even while holding true that correlation is not causation.

It's called taking a risk.

19. Mathloom

Supporting Member

How would we know what deals were possible and didn't happen?

20. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Ok.