1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2019 Texans Training Camp / Preseason

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Jul 21, 2019.

1. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

2. xaos

xaos Member

Are we good yet?

3. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

Its hot as **** out there is the main thing you need to know and if you want a seat you need to be in line when they open the gates an hour before it starts. I used to go every year, but its just too hot and I just don't have the interest in being out in extreme heat anymore.

macho GRANDE likes this.
  4. stevel

stevel Contributing Member

You realize that Rankin was a LT at Miss State right? It clearly didn’t work, but I understand trying Rankin at LT since he did miss camp and he has collegiate experience at LT. The only guy they moved to a new position was Davenport, and technically it wasn’t a new position, he just flipped sides. Some guys can flip sides some can’t. It was clearly a tough for Davenport

I work in the sports performance field, one of the things I’ve learned in recent years is athletes have a dominant motor eye (your peripheral vision will be better on one side than the other) and they have a directional movement preference (you will move better one way than the other). For some athletes the differences are small, for others it’s more pronounced. Guys that can flip sides easily more than likely have subtle differences in eye dominance and movement preferences. Guys that have trouble changing sides more than likely have a stronger distinction between eyes and sides. I’m guessing Davenport is left eye, left directed, which would explain why the right T position was tough for him

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

#45 J.R., Jul 27, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2019
  6. J.R.

J.R. Member

Fulgore likes this.
  7. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

No problem playing Rankin at LT. Problem was throwing him in mid-game in Week 1 after missing all of training camp and preseason. Bigger problem with moving the one guy who has experience and spent all of training camp, practices and preseason protecting DW4’s blindside to RT.

Henderson goes down so ideally you play his backup (Lamm) and hope he can hold his own. Instead you throw a rookie in at LT and move your LT to RT Positions they haven’t had much, if any, NFL experience at.

8. raining threes

If Davenport didn't suck so bad at both LT and RT then you would have a point.

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

#49 J.R., Jul 27, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2019
    stevel likes this.
  10. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Lol a lot of vague talk. Due to the past i see it being wise not to trust what Houston media says about how good the Texans are. Outside NFL experts look at the Texans can call it like they see it. I'm waiting on those evaluations. Good thing is Watson at QB always gives the team a fighting chance.

11. stevel

stevel Contributing Member

Got ya, misunderstood you a bit

12. gucci888

No worries. I liked the Rankin pick at the time and thought there was a chance he could pan out at LT. Missing all of training camp and preseason really set him back but think the coaching staff completely screwed the pooch with him. He was pretty much set up to fail from the start IMO.

13. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

I have no clue who is going to start week 1 on the OLine except maybe Martin and thats always iffy with his injury history.

14. raining threes

After Henderson got hurt where would you have played Rankin?

Davenport was sucking so bad at LT he got Henderson hurt, so I can see why they chose to give Rankin a try at LT. Didn't work out.

I can also see why they are starting Howard out at LG while he gets used to the speed of the NFL.

15. gucci888

Ideally, I wouldn’t have played him at all. If the staff didn’t think he was ready to start Week 1 in Foxboro at LT, not sure why he would be ready few snaps into the game. Hindsight is 20/20 but I probably would’ve put in Mancz at OG and slide Kelemente to RT where he’s played before.

Would’ve been perfectly fine if they did what they did (Rankin at LT, Davenport at RT) in Week 2 after a week of practice and preparation. But he clearly wasn’t ready which is understandable given all the time he missed.

#55 gucci888, Jul 28, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2019
  16. J.R.

J.R. Member

17. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

This is the thread where every twitter "reporter" goes off for every damn player. Based on those guys, every guy in camp is a HOFer.

18. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

19. solid

solid Contributing Member

What is wrong with Martin?

20. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member