1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Wade Miller Slims Down

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Rockets10, Feb 23, 2004.

1. Rockets10

Rockets10 Contributing Member

There is an article in the Chronicle today about Miller and his prospects for the new season if he can stay injury free. The article is fine, but it mentions one thing that worries me a bit. At the end it mentions that Miller has come into camp having lost a significant amount of weight. Now I could be making a big deal out of nothing, but with all the talk of steroids going around it worries me.

Many sports writers and players have commented about players that are suddenly coming into camps in the last 2 years much slimmer than before. They have never named names, but insinuated that it is due to the players being on steroids before and then coming back off them due to a fear of getting caught. If this is the case, this would seem to be eerily similar to Miller's situation. I hope this isn't true, but it definitely could be given Miller's extraordinary size and power in the past. Let's hope there isn't a drop-off in his performance, and it's just a case of him taking it easy on the weights due to his shoulder problem.

Perhaps I am being paranoid, but one never knows nowadays . . .

A link to the article:
    http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/2416805

2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Wade was big and all, but I never considered him to be big because of steroids.

He just always looked like he had some baby fat on him, and perhaps he decided to lose that... and with his purported commitment to Clemens' vigourous workout regimine, it looks like he's serious about it.

But, I guess you have to suspect everything... even if it is a simple case of a guy losing some weight (and not lying about it... like some people). Besides, if he was cheating before, he should be exposed now so he doesn't get a big contract based on unatural results.

I've yet to find a person who either didn't show up to camp "in shape", or if they look bigger, they decided to "add some muscle." (when most people can obviously tell its fat... Like when Hidalgo got out of shape after 2000, people said he tried to live up to the contract by lifting all these weights and putting on muscle... I just think he got tremendously overweight, and slow).

The thing I'm more worried about is Wade's chewing tobbaco habit. The guy always looks like he's dipping. He was dipping when he arrived at camp and talked to reporters, and you even saw the fat lower lip when he was warming up...

Its a disgusting habit.... but I understand its very hard to break as well.

3. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Don't steroids build muscle? That would mean you would come back heavier. All Wade did was lose about 10 pounds. Now, with all the shiz hitting the fan lately on steroids, I don't think as many players are using right now.

4. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

wow that's some reaching bro.

5. Rockets10

Yes it's possibly a reach, but I'm obviously not the only one. Just look at the front page of the New York Post today that has a picture of a slimmed down Giambi and says it is potentially because he could be off 'roids now. Given that the Chronicle made a similar statement about a slimmer Miller, considering the circumstances, it is logical to think the same thoughts as everyone else. Everybody in the media is making the exact same comment I did about any ball players that are coming into camp having lost weight. Is there any proof yet? No, but that is the rumor going around everywhere so I'm not reaching too far . . .

6. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

So you are alleging that Miller was on steriods and is now off them because he lost some weight.

Check out those roided forearms, the veins are just bursting through his epedermis. His sleeve is tearing from that bulging bicep.
    [​IMG]

7. Summer Song Giver

Let's see how Bags looks in camp
    99% sure he's a juicer

8. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Anyone think that the steroid craze could seriously effect future HOF nominations and votes? I know that if it were found out that Bagwell has been using 'roids for any significant amount of time, I wouldn't want him to make the HOF. Ditto for Barry Bonds (although I doubt he has been doing it for much longer than 3-4 years, and he was still very very good even before then). Players have had serious personal problems in the past and still made the HOF...I wonder how the voters will react to all of this.

9. wrath_of_khan

wrath_of_khan Contributing Member

OK, this 'roid paranoia overlooks the most important part of the article.

Wade had two nagging injuries last year that he kept secret.

That's huge. One of the biggest concerns about this season was Wade's dropoff in performance last year. If it's just a matter of him being healthy and returning to form with, say, 16 wins and a 3.5 ERA, that's pretty damn good for a #4 pitcher.

To me, the biggest news here is that there was a physical explanation for Wade's off-year and that he had the guts to play through the pain.

10. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

I don't think so. Players like Bonds, McGwire, and Sosa started hitting more HR's in the twillight of their careers while Bagwell's has steadily gone down. Bagwell's career is following the normal trend while their's is abnormal and very suspicious.

11. rudager

rudager Member

Would steroids even help a pitcher that much? I mean, these guys like Billy Wagner who are 5'10'' and throw 100 mph are freaks of nature to begin with. You can take all the steroids you want, but if you're not born with the arm, you're not going to improve your velocity. Wade's power is a gift, not the result of a supplement.

12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I was thinking that too... but then I realized that it might not be the "arms" that are getting bulked up by steriods.

What about their legs?

You've seen Wagner's... that's where he gets most of his power from. Even though Wade IS still probably innocent, building more muscle in a pitcher's legs is a way to generate more power, and would probably be helped by steriods.

13. rudager

rudager Member

Yeah, I thought about that, but I'm not so sure big legs add to velocity. I think it's more about health. Roy O has groin problems because he's small, throws hard, and isn't very stout in the legs.

Legs are important as far as mechanics and maximizing one's velocity through proper motion, but how do thick legs add to speed? I doubt Wade (or any other power pitcher) throws any harder than he did pre-majors--despite the obvious physical changes.

I think strong legs (and arms, etc.) just add to durability, like Clemens. The arm is the thing, I believe. Maybe I'm underestimating the power garnered from big legs, though?

14. Rockets10

I am not saying that he definitely is or was on steroids, just something to consider with all that is going on. There have been comments made during the offseason on ESPN.com and CNNSI.com about at least one prominent NL pitcher coming back having lost lots of weight. They didnt name names and I in fact don't think its Miller, but obviously there have been pitchers on the stuff.
    I really hope I am wrong, but I also don't think one can discount the issue outright.

15. stubbyc

stubbyc Member

Wagner throws hard because of nearly perfect mechanics, not necissarily because of muscle. (Although it is part of it)

Wade throws hard, but tops out around 96. He is most of the time around 93-94 and has good offspeed stuff. He really has a good mix of power and offspeed pitches, he just needs to stay healthy.

16. stubbyc

stubbyc Member

Spelling is wrong, but I can't edit.

17. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

Roids make it easier for the muscles to recover more quickly after a hard worked game or practice.

18. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

Contributing to the tip jar fixes that.