1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Nolan Ryan's 5th No Hitter

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by BobFinn*, Feb 23, 2004.

1. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

Astros vs Dodgers 1981 on ESPN Classic tonight at 9pm eastern time. Great memories!

[​IMG]

2. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

I probably would but Texas and Kansas are hooping it up at 8:00 as well.

In realted news: Nolan Ryan is expected to hold a press confrence tommorrow announcing his signing with the Astros. :)

3. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

I watched that game on the tube in LA with a devoted Dodger dogger. He was as crushed as the LA-LAs were!

4. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I had tickets. Unfortunately, I had to give them away due to my brother-in-law's first of FOUR marriages.

5. PhiSlammaJamma

Hard to believe that a Nationally Telvised game, back in the day when nothing was televised, turned into a no hitter. Thing of beauty.

6. codell

codell Contributing Member

Bobrek or BobFinn or Behad,

Have you guys ever heard of a book called "The Greatest Game Ever Played"???

7. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i know you're not asking me....but yes, i've heard of it. i own it. one of my favorites.

8. codell

Ummmm, I wasnt asking you.

J/K Max ;)

9. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

I haven't seen it yet...Don't spoil it for me!

10. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

Yes, I read it last year. Wonderful account of that game. As I have said many times, I still get upset just thinking about it.

11. Behad

[​IMG]

Written from a Mets fan standpoint, but still has lots of good information about individual Astros players, coaches, and management, including a detailed, inning-by-inning account of the epic Game 6, including what was going on in the respective dugouts. Most interesting is the Mets' mortal fear of Mike Scott, a theme repeated over and over. I highly recommend this book to anyone who's interested in personal anecdotes and reflections about the 1986 Astros-Mets NLCS from those who were involved. Written in 1987, the memories were still fresh in their minds.

12. codell

Yup, thats the book.

I really didnt become a Stros fan till 87. I read that back in 88 or 89. Made me feel like I had been at that game.

I remember one of the chapters was called "The dread Scott case". Like you said, thats where they talked about how Scott would be pitching game 7 and that the Mets would have mentally lost that game before it started.

13. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

86 was really the year i fell in love with pro sports, in general. the astros in the NLCS...the rockets in the Finals.

the funny thing is how those games used to all be on during the day time. i remember watching NBA Finals games while sitting in English class in 6th grade! coming home from school, even as late as 1989, and watching pistons-bulls eastern conf. championship games.

14. Behad

I was a truly devoted Astros fan then (I still am, but now my kid's sports take up a lot of time). I saw every pitch of every inning of every game of that NLCS. Mike Scott would have dominated game 7.

15. wrath_of_khan

wrath_of_khan Contributing Member

Just adding my little book review.

I also own the book (and wasn't asked), and it's one of my faves as well.

Strongly recommend it, but it's hard to find these days as it's out of print.

16. wrath_of_khan

wrath_of_khan Contributing Member

the great thing about the book is that it reveals how much Scott had totally psyched out the Mets. One of the reasons they took Game 6 so seriously is that they had no confidence that they could beat Scott in Game 7. Davey Johnson managed Game 6 like there was no tomorrow.

17. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Speaking of books, anyone who hasn't already read, should read Ball Four by Jim Bouton. It was essentially his diary of the 1969 season in which he eventually was traded to the Astros. It was the first "tell-all" sports book and discussed a lot of taboo subjects at the time.

18. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

That's a great book.

Another one is "Nice Guys Finish Last" Written by Leo Durocher (it's out of print)

He came out of retirement to manage the Astros in 1972. The main reason he took the job was to be able to manage the "next" Willie Mays, Cesar Cedeno. A player who could do it all.

Durocher said Cesar's "me no play, me have tummy ache (or headache) was the complete opposite of Willie Mays, but Cedeno did have Mays' talent.

Jerry Reuss -"who thought he was better than Sandy Koufax", and a few other players. The chapters are short but they reveal an awful lot about the modern day player.

Leo Durocher's rookie year he was Babe Ruth's roomate on the Yankees.

19. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

I didn't watch it, did he get a no-hitter...;)