1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Butler will be Moreys main target this summer, and he feels fairly confident it will happen

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, Feb 25, 2019.

1. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Looks like $15.6m of Anderson,a deal is guarenteed. Here's the numbers:

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/miami-heat/cap/

You are correct that Miami could flip Richardson for assets but what's Philly getting in return? I was already including Richardson to Philly.

If you're losing Herro, Richardson plus whatever it takes to dump the remaining salary, what does Miami have left? And they'd be hardcapped?

Like I said, it's certainly possibly but it would hurt.

The other obvious question is "Why would Butler do that?" .

2. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

Lol just the other day you said expect Jimmy Butler to Houston and know you saYing it probably won't happen damn

3. HoustonCRT

HoustonCRT Member

You hate to see it

amaru likes this.
  4. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

If thats the case major fail on Morey part especially with all those reports that Rockets so confident and believe they are in the lead

5. Vivi

Vivi Member

I 100% agree with you but Riley is the same guy who gave a max to a 30 years old Bosh just because he was pissed Lebron left and didn't want to look like a loser.

B-Bob likes this.
  6. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

That’s not saying anything

7. zksb09

zksb09 Member

I've always assumed that the reason the Rockets were so confident on this was Harden's closeness to Butler and his wanting to come to Houston. Like with CP3. Any other reason for confidence wouldn't really be justified I think. Of course, I am speculating, along with everyone else...

SWTsig and Vivi like this.
  8. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

By that logic, he might as well sign for the minimum, since all that matters is "winning" and he would thus be giving his new team the best opportunity to be flexible around him.

As with most of these things, it's a balance of many considerations. It's quite possible that he wants to win, but doesn't want to give up a guaranteed $140 million for $20 million.

Not saying he won't pick Miami, I just wouldn't use "why wouldn't he opt in" as evidence. Also, FWIW, it would've been far easier for Butler to get to Miami via an "opt in" deal as well. Right now, the Heat are undoubtedly canvassing the league to see if there's a taker for Dragic, Whiteside, or Olynyk to match Jimmy's $32M figure in Year 1... would be far easier for Jimmy to get to Miami if he opted in and all they had to match was $20M.

Not opting in, IMO, was 100% about guaranteed money and nothing to do with any specific destination.

9. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Yeah, they are cutting into their team hard core. I think they are MORE willing to do it now...than they were in October.

And yes, lets ask WHY WOULD BUTLER DO THAT? I don't know. It pisses me off that Miami is in the pole position.

We have to hope MOREY can point out all these issues to Butler in their meeting. How important is competing for a title to Butler? Cause right now, it looks more about LIFESTYLE.

amaru likes this.
  10. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

Butler doesn’t want to be in Houston. Dude wants that lifestyle. Foolish for us to be confident if it was just based on philly’s willingness to do a SnT

amaru and Stormy1234 like this.
  11. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Agreed here. But Riley finds a way.

amaru and joshuaao like this.
  12. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

He was not going to opt in because he wants his money and he wants it now. Right NOW.

13. sammy

Philly could still prefer a deal with Houston and that’s what you can tell Morey is working on. We have our picks and they don’t. It could be that simple for Philly to say hey we’ll get you to Houston over Miami

If they include J Rich, that could change things obviously. That’s not a playoff team or a low seed at best w JB going there

14. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

1) I think they include J Rich
    2) Philly MIGHT like Houston's deal *better.* But Butler says, take the Miami *lesser deal* or I walk to LAC.

amaru and Vivi like this.
  15. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

16. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Naaaaah. If we have Javale, Green and Smith on the same team I quit.

J Sizzle likes this.
  17. bmd

bmd Member

Really good info.

18. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

19. sammy

They still have a lot of cap maneuvering to do bc J Rich alone doesn’t get it done and they have no picks to attach to get rid of their bad contracts. The easier avenue is through Houston potentially and I wonder if most of the confidence was coming from two things:

76ers reluctancy to offer the full 5 year deal
    Easier avenue to find a suitable deal for 76ers over Miami

20. PatBev

PatBev Member

Bro DWade is the Kobe of LA and the Paul Pierce of Boston in Miami

Dude is crazy if he thinks he’ll get that same type of love from the Heat. Sure he’ll have a hype year of excitement from the fans but they’ll treat him like second class within a couple of seasons