1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who is Morey's fallback star acquisition?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by topfive, Jun 28, 2019.

1. RocketTheory

RocketTheory Member

I thought we was gonna grab Bol Bol

2. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I’m hearing (pretend insider) that the Rockets have their eyes on a GSW player.....

Yes, Jimmer Fredette.

We need more guards!!

3. MourningWood

MourningWood Contributing Member

CC + EG + multiple future 1sts for Beal

4. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

I mean I guess we could use our little money to sign a bunch of long shots. And pray.

I think we have seen over the years, Beverley’s are the exception off the minimumish scrap heap.

I really have zero problem standing pat and using the mle. But I also believe upgrading from Gordon to Butler while replacing CC with a cheaper rim running center gives us a higher ceiling.

kjayp likes this.
  5. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

6. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

I'm just not sold on Butler... you know how I am on attitude or perceived attitude... and Butler is a huge question mark imo...
    Giving up 2 starters + future picks is even more questionable given our lack of assets and depth... imo...
    I mean if its Harden, Butler, CP3 and Matt Maloneys to fill out the rotation... I've seen that movie already... lol
    Now if we were able to lock down Looney or somebody for the mle... it might make the Butler deal more palatable...

The other big concern to factor in is MDA's reluctance to play young talent through growing pains... Is pouring multiple rotation players + picks into a single guy going to result in an even shorter rotation? Whatever picks we add to get Butler are picks we dont use to trade for midlevel/ guys that MDA might actually be willing to play...

I get that its a star driven league... but paying retail for stars reaches a point of diminishing returns...

7. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Vince Carter

8. dmoneybangbang

Nah. You aren’t accounting for the fact there are 29 other teams looking to improve using the same pool of players.

9. dmoneybangbang

Portland seems interested.

10. dmoneybangbang

No the expression is you “find the Chandler Parsons but you don’t pay for them”.

Didn’t Morley find Austin Rivers to outplay his context? Danielle House?

Maybe Gary Clark Jr will outplay his 3 year $3.7 million contract? If we get Butler or Love, Morley will have to fill out the roster with vets and diamonds in the rough.

kjayp and D-rock like this.
  11. D-rock

D-rock Member

Aaron Gordon is fallback star acquisition.

I hope.

Bearius Jones likes this.
  12. kjayp

Thats the expression - i knew it was something to do with not overpaying for the Chandler Parsons of the world...

I cant give Murray credit for 'finding' Austin Rivers... known commodity and him being bought out was the only reason we were able to get him... same with Faried...

House I give him credit for... and moreso if he hadnt screwed around trying to leverage a long term deal - only to cave and convert him anyway.... and then MDA got all gunshy on the kid...

Maybe Clark will outplay... I like him fine...

I'm not vehemently opposed to Butler... I just think its a helluva gamble - beyond what people are acknowledging... health, attitude and chemistry are the risks... and "Morley will have to fill out the roster with vets and diamonds in the rough" has never been a concern... but after last years offseason acquisitions I've come to appreciate the fact that even Murray can deliver below expectations...

13. kjayp

oh but I am accounting for the other 29 teams - thats why I'm more about maybe trading or trying to lock up a couple midlevel guys early - rather than focusing on superstars... The higher you go up the talent ladder, the more intense the competition becomes... if we were a middle of the pack team - sure wth swing for the bleachers... but when you're as close as we've been we dont need a whole lot... dont swing for the bleachers, strike out and then only bring in a James Ennis... lol

14. topfive

topfive CF OG

Clark played pretty well for a rookie, at least half the time. Maybe he's ready to step up to a permanent rotation spot this year. I love how unflappable he is; he just needs to be more consistent.

15. dmoneybangbang

Fair enough. Big picture, finding diamonds in the rough draft, finding vets that fit, finding ring chasers, whatever, we have done a good job of filling in the gaps. We probably haven't done as good of a job of finding players in the draft as our 1st and 2nd picks become lower and lower the better we got.

Also forgot Hartenstein who is on a similar contract as Clark.

kjayp and topfive like this.
  16. dmoneybangbang

But other teams are swinging for the fences..... Utah got Conley... Portland would like to get Love after making a good trade for Bazemore.

Ariza didn't want to come back, otherwise he wouldnt have signed for $15 million. Luc didnt play so we dodged a bullet there. Frankly, at least we had Jame Ennis with how injured and depleted we were the first half of the year. Rivers, House, and Fariad were nice additions to the lineup.

kjayp likes this.
  17. dmoneybangbang

This. I really like Clark and Hartenstein too as they could become bench/role players.

18. BasketMAD

BasketMAD Member

lol this is a loaded free agency offseason. Stop shamelessly defending him.

19. BasketMAD

BasketMAD Member

If Danny Ainge lands Kemba and Capela, he's definitely still the best executive followed by Masai. When Danny wants a star, he pursues them and succeeds. When he loses a star, he finds another one pretty quickly. Whether it's because of the financial management or lack of salesmanship, Morey has failed time and time again in these pursuits.

20. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Tilman will pivot to salary cutting, blaming Morey for not finding anyone worth signing as a pretext.