1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Crucial audition on tap for Henson

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Rockets34Legend, Feb 11, 2004.

1. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

wow..how did i forget about that??

2. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

SENSE OF URGENCY

I wonder what else they had for sell.

3. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

4. DrewP

DrewP Contributing Member

''I don't think since Brett Favre have you had a guy with this kind of raw talent available in a trade situation,'' Texans general manager Charley Casserly said."

"I dont think I've seen a guy hyped up this much by a GM since.... well, never."

-Drew

5. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/2415464

Henson compared with best in draft

INDIANAPOLIS -- Teams interested in Drew Henson got a chance to do some comparative shopping on Sunday when the quarterbacks in this year's draft worked out at the RCA Dome during the scouting combine.

Texans general manager Charley Casserly has his quarterback of the future in David Carr, but Casserly was more than an interested bystander at Sunday's showcase.

As the executive trying to trade Henson, Casserly knew quarterback-hungry teams were eager to compare Henson's workout in Houston with the combine showings of top prospects such as Eli Manning, Ben Roethlisberger and Philip Rivers. The draft is April 24-25 in New York.

Casserly left the RCA Dome on Sunday feeling more confident than ever that interest in Henson would remain high.

"My feeling is that (Henson's workout) was better than any of the quarterbacks who worked out (Sunday)," said Casserly. "His arm was stronger, his movement was better, and his accuracy was better than any quarterback who threw. Period.

"I don't see why he won't be a Pro Bowl quarterback in the NFL. It won't happen overnight. It's going to take a year to get going. If he's with a good football team, I would think he'd be highly productive."

He reiterated that a number of teams are not only interested in Henson but also are agreeable to the Texans' trade parameters: a second-round pick in 2005 or a conditional third-round pick in 2005 that could rise as high as a first-rounder based on Henson's rookie performance. But the GM declined to say exactly how many teams had agreed.

"More than a couple, and I'll leave it at that," he said.

It doesn't appear Dallas will be a major player. Owner Jerry Jones said his team was focusing on finding a backup for Quincy Carter, who helped the Cowboys win 10 games and return to the playoffs last season.

"He's certainly an outstanding prospect," Jones said of Henson. "We all recognize the uniqueness of his situation, the uniqueness of Houston's position. I have some experience with the Cowboys in working with a baseball-playing quarterback, some experience in working with trying to solve the issue of the rookie pool ... being able to work through that with Chad Hutchinson and got something done.

"But again, we're going down that road of trying to get more solid at quarterback. (Henson's) a young guy. ... I've gotten used to these 10 wins. Those five-win seasons didn't feel very good."

Casserly confirmed that Miami is out of the running after acquiring Philadelphia quarterback A.J. Feeley for a second-round pick in 2005. As for the challenge of hammering out a contract under last year's rookie pool allotment of $238,000, Casserly said the hurdle was not insurmountable.

"It's a negotiation," Casserly said. "The agent has every right to propose his terms. The team has every right to propose their terms. Just because one side proposes terms doesn't mean the deal is going to be done at those terms. Sometimes, the terms you might be looking for, if you don't get them, what do you do at that point in time? You're in a negotiation.

"It comes down to how many years are going to be guaranteed versus what the expectation of what the player is versus the expectation of where the player would be drafted. It is my belief that he would not get out of the second round of this year's draft. We would take him in the second round and never look back."

"In my talks with other teams, all of them felt that he would go in the second round of this year's draft. Talking to teams, they seem to be reluctant to take him in the first (round) because he's been out awhile. I've got no reluctance about taking him in the second round at all. He has first-round talent, but you can't dismiss the fact the guy hasn't played in three years."