1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dotel's dominance as a reliever

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Buck Turgidson, Feb 6, 2004.

1. Buck Turgidson

Interesting stats collated by Jason Stark: http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=stark_jayson&id=1727200

Among all NL relievers since the 2000 season, Dotel ranks:
    2nd - ERA
    2nd - baserunners/9 IP
    3rd - K/9 IP

Among NL setup men since the 2000 season, Dotel ranks:
    1st - hits/9 IP
    1st - K:BB ratio

His numbers are noticably better than Wagner's in all categories, pitching in as many, if not more, crucial game situations. Just found this very innurestin'.

2. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

In the big games in September and hopefully the playoffs this upcoming year, I'd have more confidence in him than Wagner anyway.

3. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

I'm rooting for big games in September AND OCTOBER and for OD. I'd rather BW were closing, but I'll back Dotel all the way.

Biggest problem? Dotel starts the season slowly (by his and closer standards). I hope all confidence isn't lost by him/in him before Mother's day!

4. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

I loved Wags and all, but I didn't feel bad seeing him go after the comments he made during the season and right afterwords. If the guy would have shut his mouth he just may have been able to be a part of something special, but since the management "didn't have what it takes" to put a winner together I hope he has fun in the city of brotherly love.

5. Milos

Milos Member

The precedence for this has already been set. Mariano was John Wetteland's caddy for two years in New York. While doing so, he developed a reputation similar to Dotel's as a setup man. We all know what happened once he became "The Man" in NY.
    Dotel will do the same.

I'm more intereseted in what we will do with the sudden surplus of pitchers. CHernandez, JRob, Duckworth, and Buckholtz will be great in AAA, but none of them has anything left to prove there (except maybe Buckholtz). Assuming we keep one to replace Rocket next year, the rest should be used now, while they have value on the market (especially JRob and Duckworth).

I would keep Hernandez and Buckholtz, while using the other two to pick up a veteran lefty for the pen.

Buck...any thoughts.

6. PhiSlammaJamma

Amazing how bad he was as a starter and how good he was as a reliever. Just a completely different world.

7. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

Dotel, Wagner, and many other relievers are able to survive on just throwing gas - a starter has to have at least one more good pitch, preferably two.

8. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Those stats are reasuring.

9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Dotel is SCARY good, once he gets in a rhythym.

Also, since he posseses TWO devastating pitches (not like Wagner), he has the capability to work more than one inning... ala Eric Gagne.

10. stubbyc

stubbyc Member

I believe Bucholz will take Clemens' spot in the rotation in 2005. JRob will probably be traded for a speedy CF prospect to a team that desperately needs pitching.

Duckworth will be handled the same way Dotel was when he came to Houston. They may try him out as a starter, but he will probably evolve into a dominating reliever with his stuff.

If Hernandez proves himself at AAA this year coming off of injury then it is very possible that we trade Miller for prospects at the end of the season. Otherwise Hernandez is the odd man out of the rotation.

2005 Rotation
    Oswalt
    Pettitte
    Redding
    Bucholz
    Hernandez
    or
    Oswalt
    Miller
    Pettitte
    Redding
    Bucholz

11. deadlybulb

deadlybulb Contributing Member

He also has the lowest opponent batting average of any pitcher since 2000... 1 point lower that Billy Wags.

I saw that on Sports Center last night

12. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

Dotel Batting Average Against: Career-.213, 2003-.172

Wagner Batting Average Against: Career-.186, 2003-.169

Darn close either way. Dotel had the early career starter's numbers, while Wags had the horrible 2000 campaign.

13. deadlybulb

deadlybulb Contributing Member

The sports center spot was about Wagner and the high expectations for the Phillies this season. I thought it was interesting that he and Dotel were at the top of the list in most of those numbers.

14. stubbyc

stubbyc Member

In the last 3 years, Dotel has been a better reliever than Wagner. He should have no problem saving games. The only problem is that we no longer have that 7-8-9 end of game combination.

Hopefully, Duckworth can follow in Dotel's footsteps (failed starter with good stuff, great reliever). Overall the bullpen looks decent.

Cl- Dotel
    Setup- Lidge
    Setup- Miceli
    Setup- Duckworth
    Situational- Stone (Ground Ball)
    Situational- Gallo (Lefties)
    Long Relief- Saarloos

Other possibilities: Veres, Robertson, Ramirez, Backe, Fernandez.