1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jame Harden's Historic Season in 2018-19!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Shaq2Yao, Apr 10, 2019.

1. Shaq2Yao

Shaq2Yao Member

James Harden's 2018-19 season is a historic season! Probably the best offensive season of all time! Harden's 36.1 PPG is only behind Wilt and Jordan, but he did it with much better efficiency. Among the top 10 PPG seasons, Harden's 2019 ranks #1 in TS%, eFG%, and assists. He did this in #1 in least minutes, and #2 in least field goal attempts.

Harden's points per 100 possessions is the BEST of all time! His 48.2 mark destroyed Jordan's previous record 46.4 by 1.8 points.

Harden is also the first player in NBA history with 35+ points and 6+ assists season. Previously the closest was Wilt's 1963-64 season 36.9 points 5.0 assists.

We are just witness greatness happening right in front of our eyes!

[​IMG]
    http://bkref.com/tiny/RKwqD

[​IMG]
    http://bkref.com/tiny/ZYQ10

[​IMG]
    http://bkref.com/tiny/rpBkP

D-rock, AroundTheWorld, Riz and 6 others like this.
  2. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

He also led the league in complaints from his own fan base.

Air Canada likes this.
  3. Shaq2Yao

Shaq2Yao Member

I still cannot believe Harden won't win MVP with such a historic season. The media should be stripped with their voting power with such blatant bias.

D-rock and AroundTheWorld like this.
  4. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

I witnessed

5. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

No he didn't. why are you like this? stop it.

6. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Thank you for an MVP season, James Harden!

D-rock and don grahamleone like this.
  7. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

[​IMG]

There is no shortage of completely unnecessary Harden complaints around here. And every time I see it I ask myself....

Why are y’all like this? Stop it.

8. windpuppy

windpuppy Member

Harden looks like an intelligent player who will continue to improve his game going into his 30s, and I think he is committed to Houston because his legacy will be best built here instead of chasing unguaranteed success elsewhere. He is also durable like hell, and I think his game will age very well.

That trade in 2012 summer was the best thing ever happened to this franchise outside of those 2 rings, and I am grateful for that.

D-rock likes this.
  9. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Incredible. My jaw has been dropped more times than I can count this year. Thank you James.

D-rock and pippendagimp like this.
  10. RetroRockets

RetroRockets Member

The NBA is the only league where how you look and what shoe company you are signed too afftects how you win mvp of that said league. If Harden was still with Nike, Harden would have 2 mvps at the miniminum

11. Riz

Riz Contributing Member

The people who don't support Harden for MVP this season have been living in a parallel universe where Giannis is the one putting up Harden numbers. Either that or they've gone blind from the all the hating. Can we also appreciate how he continues to improve his game? LIke introducing and being one of the best this season in floaters after Spurs series? This is after he already won an MVP. I need some of his motivation in my life.

D-rock likes this.
  12. Shaq2Yao

Shaq2Yao Member

It is shocking that Harden have improved so much this season compared to his last MVP season. The numbers are astonishing. He is +5.7 in PPG. That alone should get him into most improved players conversation. Advanced stats all huge gains: +0.8 in PERs, +0.8 in BPM, and +1.6 in VORP. His usage rate shot up from 36.1% to 40.5%, while his efficiency (eFG%, TS%) remains unchanged.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

The publicly available advanced metrics haven't really shown huge improvement. If anything, it is incremental. Let's not get carried away with PPG and think that equates to how good a player is.

By the win shares metric, it's down a bit from last year. There is a small improvement in PER and BPM. Keep in mind that BPM (by the nature of the way the model is constructed) can get out of whack for players putting up outlier stats -- Westbrook two seasons ago had a BPM of +15.6, which almost certainly overrated his true impact.

VORP essentially extends BPM by crediting playing time, so those aren't really distinct stats:

Some other metrics that are out there:
    Real Plus Minus (RPM) is up +6.71 last year and +7.51 this year.
    Player Impact Plus Minus (PIPM) is +5.91 last year and +5.56 this year.
    Player Impact Estimate (PIE) is 19.4 last year and 20.1 this year.

Giannis actually has a better case for Most Improved Player than Harden (Harden was at an MVP level last year, so that's not a knock on him):

PER: 27.3 to 30.9
    WS/48: .207 to .294
    BPM: +5.8 to +10.8
    RPM: +4.23 to +6.65
    PIPM: +3.99 to +7.5
    PIE: 18.6 to 21.8