1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Butler will be Moreys main target this summer, and he feels fairly confident it will happen

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, Feb 25, 2019.

1. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Nobody's paying JB $35 million a year for ages 30-34. If we send out $26 million in salaries in Gordon, Tucker and Nene, we can take back 25% more in salary as long as we stay under the apron. That would be a first year salary of $32.5 million, which should be more than enough.

2. YOLO

YOLO Member

have you seen the teams with space this summer. and many of them will strike out as usual. but JB is going to get atleast one max contract offer fairly easily. whether he turns those down is another story

malakas likes this.
  3. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I guess if Shumpert is willing to be signed and traded to Philly at a starting salary around $9m, we could make it happen by sending him and Gordon to Philly for a Jimmy Butler who is opted in to his $20m contract.

The thing is, Philly would be under the cap if Butler walks to a team with cap space, so after re-signing Harris they would actually have to value Gordon and Shumpert as rotation pieces. Otherwise they can go after people in the open market with cap space. Might have to throw in a pick to make it worth their while.

Somehow I don't believe Butler would forego almost $15m in a single season when he can just sign for the max with any of a few teams. Unlike with Paul, I think there are teams out there willing to max Butler out. I don't think that option existed for Paul.

4. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

but even at that payrate we'd have $125M in just 4 players and that's assuming capela hits no incentives

5. BALLhog 247 365

I’m still waiting for Markieff Morris to sign with the rockets

6. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

They have a shot but will missed the target. Seriously, we don't have cap space to sign him. Is he going to accept tax payer MLE? Unless we are trading Gordon and/or Tucker and/or CP3.

7. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

The black JB?

8. foggy94

foggy94 Member

I fully expect Morey to try hard for this. It would take Butler wanting a change of scenery, he's already complained about them not running enough pick and roll for him (something we do a **** load of) and I've heard reporters say they think he leaves, I'm pretty sure either Simmons or Zach Lowe said they think that on one of their podcasts. Maybe an early playoff exit does it. As much as I think his whole 'I'm such a fierce competitor!' shtick is cringe-worthy, that's where I can see the appeal for him wanting to play with CP and James.

It would have to be the opt-in and trade route like CP did with the Clippers last summer. As others have mentioned a S+T hard caps us, and while we could potentially do something convoluted like a double sign and trade where we resign Shumpert to a midtier deal and salary match with Shump and Gordon, we almost certainly wouldnt be able to stay under the hard cap after doing so.

So there's more big ifs to make it happen. Is anybody really going to throw Butler a 5 year max if he's fled from two teams in one season? His reputation could eaily lead to a cool market, but we know Morey would take the risk. Maybe another wink wink deal where he opts in to a player option then we give him a 4 year max in 2020, which might even be the best deal on the table (or under the table) for JB.

joshuaao and amaru like this.
  9. CCorn

CCorn Member

Is Tilman allowed to trade restaurants?

Kim likes this.
  10. TheSource

TheSource Member

Assuming Butler will want the max that means Gordon and Capela will have to be traded..... no thanks

Deckard likes this.
  11. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

They only way it would work is if we do it the same way we did with CP3. Get JB to opt in on his contract at 20 million, with a wink-wink deal that we give him the full max after next season. In terms of of matching salaries, we would only need Gordon and Nene.

Handles and foggy94 like this.
  12. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Ryan Anderson's poison pill contract had more value

13. BeBreezy

BeBreezy Member

Ew I really can't stand Jimmy.

14. Pluplue

Pluplue Member

Lmao don't want that dude's problems here. He b****ing about Tomball not being Houston and he seems to bring a negative vibe everywhere he goes. We need someone who's gonna listen to what Harden and Paul have to say.

15. Mathloom

Supporting Member

It's actually $123m at that pay rate. With Clark, Hart and optimistically House on minimum, we'd be at $127.2m for 7 players.

To get 8 more players on the minimum, we'd be right around $141m. It's Morey's dream - pay the best players, everyone else minimum, avoid middle of the pack salaries.

Capela/Hart
    Clark
    Harden
    Butler/House
    Paul

Could work. But from what I understand there's a hard cap apron issue which I don't understand too well.

JoeBarelyCares likes this.
  16. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

Keep in mind this year word was our 4 first package didn’t include Tucker and supposedly That was the dealbreaker.

17. BigBum

BigBum Member

Morey is not going to give him 4 year 167 million. Tilman is not going to approve the deal either. $70 million overpaid plus tax.

It is BYC, he can't be traded.

18. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Different situation. In Philly's case, Butler has the power to just walk. I doubt if this happens we would be giving up more than a first rounder, if that.

19. s3ts

s3ts Member

I'm just trying to figure out where this infatuation with JB is coming from.

20. lionaire

lionaire Member

I trust @cyberx and his sources. Thanks for the intel.

I know we had a JB tease earlier in the season and were let down. This very well could be like the Melo situation where we end up getting him eventually. Gonna take some gymnastics by Morey though.