1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What should be done about players demanding to be traded?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by celebrevida, Jan 29, 2019.

1. celebrevida

celebrevida Member

While you can't punish someone criminally for violating a contract, you can go after them in civil court and sue for damages. Also you could write into the contract terms that aggrieved the party can enforce on its own.

In the case of the NBA for instance, you can make it so that a player who decides to sit out unless traded has his contract immediately voided (so no more pay) and is banned from the league for life.

Jayzers_100 and deb4rockets like this.
  2. celebrevida

celebrevida Member

That depends. If I say that I am retiring in a year but still show up and do my job no differently until leaving, then sure.

But if I am already mentally checked out and stopped doing my job well then that is certainly in bad faith. Kawhi Leonard did that by literally not showing up to work and certainly AD could do similarly if he isn't traded.

3. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Very true. That would teach em.......LOL. Seriously though, you and I both know that will never happen. It should though, and then none of this monkey business and "I'll show you who has the power" kind of stuff will continue, and teams won't get jerked around.

4. faraza84

faraza84 Member

Maybe in the next cba they can make a clause that if players demands a trade they risk forfeiting their max deal (can only sign for half max and half the years ex 4 years at 30 per year player could at max only get 2 years at 15 million per year) and maybe some other provisions. They can’t stop it but they have to be able to make people honor their contracts.

Jayzers_100 likes this.