1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[WOJ] Capela out 4-6 weeks - Clint Capela Thumb Injury thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Deuce, Jan 14, 2019.

1. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

lol

Austin Rivers: "Hey Tristan, James told me the last time he went through a period of dominance like this was with your baby mama"

Because, y'know, it's Austin Rivers.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  2. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

[​IMG]

Rocket River

3. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I grew up in Houston and have a bunch of relatives scattered across the city and the area's suburbs, and in East Texas (Quitman, Longview, Marshall, Tyler and the country around there) and I've heard it used often enough. Now a days we have one grown kid living across town in Austin who's making a killing as a software developer, and the other now lives in Dallas after graduating, living with his significant other. It feels like we have relatives almost everywhere in Texas now. He went to UTD majoring in arts and technology and is getting into animation. I gave the kid before he set off to college in Dallas a wooden sign I ran across at an estate sale that reads, "I would rather be dead than live in Dallas!" Longtime Houstonians can relate to the feeling. I appreciate irony, thank god. Anyway, here's an example of how I might have used the expression as a kid:

"What's it like outside this afternoon?"
    "It's hot as all get out, Mom. I came in to put my shoes on."
    "Then it must be hot as blazes out there!"

(Growing up, fire ants didn't exist in Houston. I would get out of school at the end of May and not wear shoes all Summer, unless I was forced to. The damn fire ants have had a terrible impact on our environment, not the least by making it necessary to wear shoes all the time. Our kids never knew what it was like, that great feeling of running barefoot across a thick lawn of St. Augustine. Either there are fire ants, or you're walking across a bunch of chemicals to kill the awful creatures, may they soon become extinct. There are fire ants across the state and horny toads are probably endangered and not often seen these days. I haven't seen one out and about in ages, except in the Big Bend area, where you're far more likely to run into a rattlesnake, which are dangerous as all get out.)

#363 Deckard, Jan 15, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
    Os Trigonum likes this.
  4. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Might as well sign Lamar Odom too. He can still hit some 3s right? :)

Rocket River likes this.
  5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

She has her own all star team

Rocket River

Easy likes this.
  6. Louka

Louka Contributing Member

No worries, I'm collecting all the bad juju right now for a Full Counter later in the season.

7. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Hmmm, my friend also spent summers with her Dad in Canton, which is SE of Dallas. Maybe she got the expression from there, in the country. I grew up around here in Sagemont and Pearland and never heard that. But, like you, we never wore shoes in summer and I can relate to the Dallas sign...LOL.

#367 deb4rockets, Jan 15, 2019
    Deckard likes this.
  8. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

you da real mvp

9. Senator

Senator Member

Harden's window needs to be maximized. Homers need to realize no one cares about late first rounders. No one wants to give Houston a marquee 3rd star. They'll have to use them to fill needs, and an alternate big man to Capela is one. Nene should be retired. Kanter is valuable, not undersized and a high efficiency big man. 1 big man and a bunch of small forwards will take you through the playoffs if you're playing GS every round, otherwise you need dependability.
    A late first rounder and Knight (who is a negative) is a great deal for him. I like EG defensively but he's expendable because of Rivers... as a supposed scorer, he is very inefficient and doesn't guarantee you anything.

10. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

I'm still hoping that Morey will trade Eric Gordon for a 1st rounder, then offer 3 1st rounders and Capela for Anthony Davis. Capela being out will allow the Pels to start trying for Zion right now.

11. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Kanter is simply unplayable against GS and you're willing to trade Gordon and a first round pick for him? And then give Kanter a 3yr/$60M contract this summer? EGo is playable against Golden State both defensively and offensively (scored 19ppg on 15 shots per in the series). Kanter would be a 15mpg backup to Capela, while getting paid significantly more than him. Seems like a poor waste of resources, not to mention there's no way we'd go that deep into the luxury for a backup center that can't defend.

Even if EGo were expendable, which I think he totally is, we'd be better off trying to trade him for a talent upgrade on both ends of the floor, not a situational big that we routinely abuse. Kanter doesn't even fit into our gameplan. He demands lots of touches in the post, can't switch on the perimeter, and doesn't shoot threes.

ramotadab likes this.
  12. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

I've been very ill as of late,but I stand by the Ears in my sig, regardless of what goes down. So, here's your feverish, open share of the evening. Again, just what's communicated to me. Just to be clear, @cyberx has it on lock. Always. I just get the chatter...lately, more interested in the locker room f^&kery lol :)

The contenders out East want to make moves due to culture/chemistry around minutes. In other words, "Hey Wilson" will never be a stranger to Htown until we #decreasethedrop. Western teams will help eachother out, but with things wide open, contenders aren't doing any favors for eachother.

Nothing new on this, in the sense that I've mentioned KyleOQ before as a "Rockets' fan," my guys say been a regular discussion...now with Clint out for extended time, perhaps more traction. He's solid and would protect the rim, not as good as Clint, but he's not afraid of anyone. FYI

Things were looking well until the injury bug. Thank goodness for the schedule, but my damn.
    Look for the dwindlers to help facilitate, but from the Ears of my daily intake, the Rockets are obviously going for reinforcements. The harder targets will be out West because, allegedly, West GMs don't want to deal with DM.

Our two Western allies: Sac and Memphis (and PHX because that organization is BirdBox).

Like the deadline where Morey had Taj and Dougie Buckets in his pocket before Presti, I expect something similar if it's minor. A wing and a backup big. Philly is looking to make another move to compete with Toronto, but it sounds like addition by subtraction and the fear of losing Ben.
    BeanDip is happening: Terry/Jalen and Daddy are available. Twin for the right price.
    Miami's locker room...yuck. I know the salary is bad, but I love Hassan. And, we were so, so close to having JJ as another bruiser.
    New York is playing too: Kanter wants out. Teams are doing due diligence (you knew that). Interesting fact: Has mentioned how he'd have great stats with Harden....actually would be a pretty pick and roll/pop.

Don't lose track on Marvin and Willy

AND: The Melo "drama" will have a peaceful end that benefits both parties. Ne has promised me that it's going to be a respectful outcome. Also, Melo still wants to play and has been more of a hermit because of the psychological stress.

Edit: Almost forgot: Don't be so quick to dismiss DH. He and James have become "bros" (brought into the Tuck/Beard clique)....there's a loophole apparently. BUT, in Morey style, he's also a crazy good asset. This one is most confusing to me...he's a great player. More as I hear. ***No confirmations of anything here. Again, it was a "hold tight" comment. *** Cyber knows more.

Edit#2: Parsons Fandom isn't just something to laugh at. Some of his Florida boys are part of his social media flood to gain attention to get another chance. His Rockets love isn't a secret apparently in the locker room, and while it ended poorly, James has a good relationship with 99 percent of players. Sorry Dray, Marcus, Steve" I made one notable shot in an 18 year career" Kerr...James doesn't F with you. :)

Love Ya'll. Be Healthy. Laugh. Smile.

Codman

#372 Codman, Jan 15, 2019
  13. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

always fun to read Cod. Hope your health picks back up soon.

BigShasta likes this.
  14. Senator

Senator Member

What big man do you see being a better fit? Most big men are unplayable against GS, that's what happens when teams collude
    Even Steven Adams is useless against them
    Young athletic talent like Cauley stein is not available
    And all star level players can not be had for late first rounders that will never have a shot at the lottery

You have to get the most out of Harden's window, he will be 30 starting next season
    I see the allure of versatile wing men but they don't come easy or cheap
    if the wolves wanted to trade covington, the rockets would have to offer atleast 2 1sts
    The assets just aren't there and morey plays russian roulette leaving his success rate very low

15. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

First things first. Get well @Codman!!!

And thank you for taking the time to chime in on the events. As always "story time with @Codman" is prime reading. :)

I am watching Memphis right now. They have a tough schedule and are quickly losing ground in the West. JaMychael Green is an expiring. They might want to get something for him. Remember, they just "gave up" 2 second round picks for Holiday.

16. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Howdy, howdy - - thanks for the edification; state your health is boffo and that will be the biggest Thank You.

17. BeardedWonder

BeardedWonder Member

Any of the BeanDip's mentioned would be a nice boost at the moment.

18. YOLO

YOLO Member

For those that are acting like the sky is falling and the rockets are going to be in danger of missing the playoffs with the 15 games CC is projected to miss.

Lebron James is going to miss a minimum of 13 games before his reported return, and the Lakers still haven't fallen out of the playoff picture in this time span. Take that into consideration if you feel the need to overreact

19. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Hate Parsons for what he did and how he is but I could dig letting him try to make it up to us

20. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

sds rep

Louka likes this.