1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Harden 2018 / 2019 - GOAT Offensive Season?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by coyotetex, Dec 26, 2018.

1. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

LOL so thanks for admitting theres no active player who can realistically be better than harden

Blurr#7 and clutchdabear like this.
  2. csj

csj Member

Sounds about right for you. Thanks for the "simple question".

Since when did you ask about active players?

3. topfive

topfive CF OG

You have to be a moron to fail to understand the meaning of the word "conversation."

We're discussing the greatest offensive seasons of all time. We've got Jordan as the current greatest, and Harden in the midst of a season that may place him ahead of Jordan statistically. Hence the conversation. Until the season is over, including Harden in that conversation is legit.

And there's nothing troll-ier than someone calling anyone who disagrees with his questionable assertion a moron, then in the next post accusing others of insults and name-calling.

#23 topfive, Dec 26, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2018
  4. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

cause its relevant right

can't think of even 1 single active player? hmmm

5. csj

csj Member

No, we're not. No one here is discussing ANY greatest offensive seasons of all time. What's being discussed is the anger people feel when someone disagrees with the claim that Harden's current season is the greatest of all time.

No, we don't. No argument has been made for that, and statistically it's Wilt, over and over.

No, Harden is on pace to match ONE of Jordan's seasons, not Jordan's best season.

Well, that's not the reason for the conversation nor is that the conversation. If the conversation is could Harden match one of the lesser seasons of a player that hasn't had the best season of all time, well sure.

Agreed, thanks for making my point.

6. csj

csj Member

I can think of plenty, but that wasn't the question. I answered the question that was asked.

Thanks for proving that you did not intend to ask a "simple question", you intended to troll.

7. topfive

topfive CF OG

Lol. You're funny when you get all defensive.

clutchdabear likes this.
  8. csj

csj Member

And you're hilarious when you are wrong on every single point you make.

9. topfive

topfive CF OG

Better slow down there, genius, you'll waste your yearly allotment of 10 ClutchFans posts.

10. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

This is a very astute point you bring up.

Please, from the data provided (ie, the top 25 'points per game' seasons), tell me which player has the highest points per field goal attempt?

clutchdabear, coyotetex and topfive like this.
  11. csj

csj Member

It's a shame with all your practice that you can't do better than this.

12. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Love Harden, but you should use possessions not shots, which includes turnovers. To be fair.

groovemachine likes this.
  13. topfive

topfive CF OG

OP and first reply:

[​IMG]

14. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

No seaming to it, Consider it sewn ( must stay healthy)

Btw, Max Kellerman thinks James Harden is the 7th best player this season

#34 Roc Paint, Dec 26, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2018
    coyotetex likes this.
  15. csj

csj Member

Is "highest points per field goal attempt" the definition of GOAT Offensive Season? How much moving of goal posts is needed before the OP is proven right?

It should also be noted that many of these players did not attempt 3 point shots, many because that shot didn't exist at the time. Even Jordan was a reluctant 3-point shooter, the other players here earned their PPFGA the old fashioned way. PPFGA is a terrible tool to compare historical performance for this reason.

The OP's argument is that Harden is better than Wilt because his PPFGA extrapolates to a higher scoring average when adjusted to Wilt's usage. I have pointed out that the OP's own data disproves that...because it does. You cannot assume that PPFGA stays the same at higher usage rates.

Harden's PPFGA is impressive at his usage but not unprecedented even according to the OP's own data. Therefore, Harden's current season is not the GOAT based on PPFGA or any other commonly accept measure of offensive performance. Wilt sets the standard for offensive performance, that's not even a question.

16. csj

csj Member

Another childish poster. This does seem like the kind of information you'd be an expert in.

17. ricky-retardo

ricky-retardo Contributing Member

If he keeps up this pace it would be unprecedented. 1.49 per FGA has never been done before.

clutchdabear, topfive and Roc Paint like this.
  18. topfive

topfive CF OG

Talk about moving the goalposts. Now only guys who scored "the old fashioned way" have legitimacy?

Wilt took the overwhelming majority of his shots from within 10 feet of the basket against players who were mostly at least half a foot shorter than him, a clear advantage unavailable to Jordan and Harden. Not to take anything away from Wilt, because he took what was available at the time. And who cares if Jordan was a "reluctant 3-point shooter" -- the 3-point shot was was there if he chose to take it.

Trying to factor in arbitrary limits to this discussion is utterly pointless.

P.S. If it seems like you're under siege in this thread, that's only because everyone thinks you're wrong.

19. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

This is a very astute point you bring up.

Please, from the data provided (ie, the top 25 'points per game' seasons), tell me which player has the highest points per field goal attempt?
    I dunno, but it really sounds like you're moving the goal posts from the point of the thread?

The thread is predicated on Harden having the GOAT offensive season based on his number of field goal attempts needed to score the points he is scoring. Your argument that a moron should be able to read the data is interesting.

20. csj

csj Member

This is known as a straw man. I never questioned legitimacy.

I am also not moving the goal posts here, I'm simply explaining why PPFGA is not a good historical measure.

You won't be taken seriously using such intentionally dishonest arguments.

Are you now questioning Wilt's legitimacy?

I agree, and I'm not trying to do so. There is one accepted measure of offensive greatness, that's PPG. Wilt owns it, and you are trying to factor in weakness of defenders to discredit Wilt's accomplishments.

Everyone who posts disagreeing with me perhaps. When I see a post worth respecting, it will be the first.