1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who will be the 1st Astro to get traded? What would you do?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by redgoose, Jan 24, 2004.

1. Nashvegas

Nashvegas Contributing Member

Carl Crawford would be sweet in CF for the Astro's. Would Roberston and a prospect be enough to get him from the DRays?

I'm sure they need pitching.

2. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Carl Crawford - 2003 OBP = .309 :eek:
    Carl Crawford - 2003 - 102 Ks, 26 BBs :eek:
    Carl Crawford - 213 total games played, 13 as CF

Perhaps Crawford will grow into a better player since he is still very young, but until he gets that K to BB ratio straightened out and improves the OBP, he is not what the Astros need.

3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

but is 26 really that young for a position player?? he's probably been in the minors for at least 3 seasons or so.

4. bobrek

Crawford is 22. The other poster was referring to Roberts being 26.

5. The Fever

The Fever Member

As soon as Bagwell hangs it up, Berkman will be playing 1B. That will leave room for Dalgy (if he takes a paycut) and Lane if he is for real. Then we just need a speedy CF, as usual.

6. redgoose

redgoose Contributing Member

I'd trade Lane for Crawford straight up!

The only reason Crawford didn't play centerfield is the the D Rays already have so many fast players. Carl is only 22 and Lane is 27.

If you ask me Carl fills a bigger need for us than Lane does. Plus leadoff hitters are alot harder to come by than guys like Lane. They both play outfield. But Carl can steal 50 bases a year and get to those fly balls alot quicker than Lane. We already have the power on our team, we need the left handed bat and speed to balance it out.

People say his pitch selection is awful, but i'm willing to bet at age 22, Lane's wasn't the greatest either.

7. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

uh, i misunderstood! thanks!!

8. ricerocket

ricerocket Member

We probably can trade a young pitcher for a speedy center fielder.

I just would like them to dump Bradley for Pudge....

9. bobrek

Since you asked:

Lane - 22 - BBs 38 - Ks 46 - 283 ABs
    Lane - 23 - BBs 62 - Ks 91 - 511 ABs
    Lane - 24 - BBs 61 - Ks 98 - 526 ABs
    Lane - 25 - BBs 41 - Ks 102 - 495 ABs (majors and minors)
    Lane - 26 - BBs 30 - Ks 28 - 275 ABs (majors and minors)

10. Buck Turgidson

Since it's apparent that the 'Stros will need a new leadoff guy next season, why the desire to trade for a guy (Crawford) who's only real weakness is his ability as a leadoff guy? It is very, very difficult to steal first base. Odds are no better than 50-50 that he ever gains the eye to be a good, much less great, leadoff guy. Right now he's a lefty Mike Cameron without the Gold Glove defense.

Also, since the D-Rays have a ridiculous abundance of OF'ers (Baldelli, Crawford, Delmon Young, Damian Rolls, Josh Hamilton, that's just on the 40-man roster), why the hell would they trade for another (Lane)? They need young pitching, something the 'Stros have a bunch of.

If I'm the 'Stros, I'm offering a superfluous minor league arm (Qualls etc...) for this guy, looks like the second coming of Brett Butler:

http://www.sports-wired.com/players/profile.asp?ID=5410

Great OBP guy, fast as hell, zero power, bats lefty, only 21.

11. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

Does anyone think that Willy Taveres, the kid we picked up in the Rule V draft has any chance of sticking with the team this season? Here's his stats from last season...

AVG G AB R H RBI 2B 3B HR BB SO SB CS
    .282 113 397 64 112 35 9 6 2 52 68 57 12

He just turned 22, but he played last season at A ball.

12. edwardc

edwardc Member

Sounds like a winning plan to me.