1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Harden travelled; people are sad

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by heypartner, Dec 17, 2018.

1. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

2. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

3. BigShasta

BigShasta Contributing Member

I love how Harden is literally transcending the game. He is a certified icon.

Houstunna, Hard_foul and hakeem94 like this.
  4. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

all of NBA twitter:

aroundtheblock2 likes this.
  5. darksoul35

darksoul35 Member

It kills me how non Rocket fans have such a huge problem with this but where fine with the blatant one sided called series in the western conference finals last year.

6. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I actually enjoy the fact that we have a player that lives in everyone's head rent free.

People probably have nightmares about Harden taking free throws, it makes me happy.

Too bad Kevin Martin never had the recognition from the community, it's not even fair, he was a better foul drawer than Harden almost fairy like

7. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Context does not exist on the internet apparently.

hakeem94 likes this.
  8. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Not surprising.

9. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Contributing Member

Because all other NBA players are pure-hearted idealists who believe in the holy sanctity of the game. They refuse to lower themselves to the level of sinful, cheating Harden.

heypartner and hakeem94 like this.
  10. LaVar Ball

LaVar Ball Member

balant and obvious missed travel call

11. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

3 Steps. See my Screen Shot explanation to match that tweet on Page 3 of this thread.

Now ESPN can stop being so sad thinking it was 5 Steps.

Explanation from last night.

hakeem94 likes this.
  12. heypartner

I like to explain it that it's actually really hard to time a step-back that closely to being illegal ... it's like only DeRozan can do it as well as Harden...but DeRozan can't do it from 3-pt territory like James. James shot something like 45% on his Step-Back threes last year

....egregious.

[​IMG]

I imagine since other players can't step back that far and that fast, it either difficult to master footwork (like Hakeem's) or it must throw off their ability to make the shot, so they are more common in their stepwork, but gain less separation...so to create separation, they really require a jab move to get their opponent off balance, prior to their lessor step back. With Harden's elite timing to the Gather, he can even get separation without throwing the defender off balance first, which contributes to them thinking they can block it, so jump into his landing space or hit his elbow for 3 shots or 4pt play.

And keep in mind, defenders lunging into his landing space is a very dangerous thing constantly bait, which other players might not do, even if they could. (see how @Deuce explains it from another thread, below).

I completely agree with the uniqueness Deuce explains, and beauty of it.

Combine the skill of separation via timing and long dance steps (which, imo, only DeRozan shares), with ability to drive like a bull and sustain constant hits (yet score through them still), and you have an elite player who puts his body on the line multiple times on a nightly basis. Find me players with the ability and willingness to do both that on a nightly basis, and you're in a group of historical greats. Then, filter it once again for players who can pass as well, and it's like you're almost down to just Lebron and James.

13. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

@heypartner thank's for bringing my post into the thread. It needs to be talked about more.

heypartner likes this.
  14. sholaemmanuel

sholaemmanuel Member

Say that again.

15. omgTHEpotential

You forgot Doncic. At 19 he has already mastered the step back three. Not quite at Harden level yet (36% vs 40%), but he'll get there for sure.

#115 omgTHEpotential, Dec 18, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
  16. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

17. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

here i made a song inspired by the recent happenings

An ode to a beard

once upon a time
    in the land of the orange ball
    there was a giant beard
    that caused many to fall

it was a magnificient beard
    but they never liked it
    it caused many people
    to curse and hate it

oh you nasty beard
    where are you manners
    why you do this
    to your nba brothers?

why torture them day and night?
    dont make em bleed
    have mercy upon scrubs
    they have families to feed

they cant sleep by night
    thinking of your travels
    always finding something to blame
    never delight in your divine game

what did you do to them
    to hate you so hard?
    its must be your shoes
    that cause all their woes
    or perhaps its your hands
    that make the d regress

18. heypartner

Many players can do a step-backs -- in that list of players, the step work Doncic does is common...like Curry's or Bird's. He's also great at the initial jab step to get defenders off balance.

There's a subtle difference I'm trying to point out, which allows Harden to shoot way more of them...almost at will.

Look at it this way: When fans start saying Doncic is travelling (when he's not), then he'll have mastered Harden's footwork.​

No knock on Doncic...I'm not saying only DeRozan and Harden can do Step-Backs ... I'm talking about the separation they get, even without doing a jab step prior. Harden is more unique in his ability to have a defender right on him, then does an N-Yo-Face, Step-back or Side-Step, with no prior move.

That's from his perfect timing to maximize the gather and the long dance step he takes.

#118 heypartner, Dec 18, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
  19. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Other players take step backs to get away from contact.

Harden take step backs at odd angles to throw off the defense and accept contact.

Harden is like....

[​IMG]

20. omgTHEpotential

Yeah I agree, for the most part Luka's stepbacks are "traditional". But sometimes he's doing the same thing Harden is.

0:26 in this vid:

hakeem94 and heypartner like this.