1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's the second half of the Lakers-Nuggets Game 5 -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[The Otto Porter Movement] First it was just an afterthought, then came the movement, and now....

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by steddinotayto, Nov 16, 2018.

1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Are you really blaming CAPELA for our slow pace? When Paul and Harden have both been on the record about wanting to slow down and DAntoni and Morey both saying they wish we would play faster but Harden and Paul don't want to?

joshuaao likes this.
  2. basketballholic

Pretty simple.

We didn't play defense in 2016-17. We ran up and down and our opponents ran up and down on us at will. Harden turned the ball over like it had been marinating in a turkey fryer full of oil for a week. And most of those were live ball steals leading to layup/dunks on the other end.

Last year, CP3 took over a lot of ball handling duties, turnovers dropped, and our pace slowed because we actually started defending opponents. And we kept Capela in the game and kept the pace at a pace where he could get up and down and have maximum effectiveness.

We need to play faster. And we can if we get a small-ball center like Richaun, others that will burn it up.

#402 basketballholic, Nov 20, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
  3. Man Dingo

Man Dingo Member

Let's grab a drink and talk about the game. You down?

4. basketballholic

I don't drink.

Do most of my talking here.

Man Dingo likes this.
  5. biff17

biff17 Member

Man you really have no sense of reality.

Capella is not fast LOL. Name me 3 centers who are faster.

6. tc0330

tc0330 Member

this gonna be a 400+ page thread too on why we should get 1 player?

7. basketballholic

They're playing with Capela and Tucker. They realize they have to. And they're grinding defensively. They can't come out and say they want to play slower because Capela and Tucker aren't fast.

#407 basketballholic, Nov 20, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
  8. thekad

thekad Member

What a sadly hilarious post.

BigMaloe and justtxyank like this.
  9. valorita

valorita Member

Porter is useful in a vacuum but becomes an absolute catastrophe with that albatross contract.

At this juncture, you want to keep the powder dry for the right move because you really have only one more space left from a salary standpoint for an impact player.

My hope is that Morey preys on the bottom tier teams looking to tank.

10. basketballholic

Here's the list,

https://stats.nba.com/players/speed... Season&PlayerPosition=C&sort=AVG_SPEED&dir=1

Study it yourself

Then watch guys like Richaun, Harrell, Nerlens, Zeller, JJJr, Ed Davis, Bam Adebayo, Javale, our own Hartenstein and a bunch of others get up and down and convince yourself he's faster than all of them except two

Than take a gander at these guys

https://stats.nba.com/players/speed...ench=Starters&CF=PLAYER_NAME*E*&Weight=GT 225

and see which ones among them play PF and could be a small ball center or already are a small ball center and who are faster than Capela.

Capela is not fast. He's an average speed big man.

11. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Are you not taking minutes played into consideration at all?

Why do you think that's not relevant?

Add a filter for at least 30 mpg and Capela ranks number 3 in the league.

https://stats.nba.com/players/speed...rPosition=C&sort=AVG_SPEED&dir=1&CF=MIN*GE*30

12. justtxyank

This is nonsense. We’ve played at a fast pace with capela, including to start last year with Tucker as well. What changed was harden telling he coach he didn’t like playing fast and wanting to go more iso

13. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Agreed. Can we move this to the random trade idea thread please?

tc0330 likes this.
  14. basketballholic

You know he ain't playing 30 minutes a game against the Warriors. That's why it's not relevant. You're dealing in minutia.

I've been talking repeatedly about SMALL BALL CENTERS. He isn't that. You want to limit everything to a tiny box and the problem is the Warriors are playing outside your box. They're not playing in the playoffs with big centers. They're going to run Draymond and Looney/Bell out there. And if and when Boogie gets healthy and they run him out there it'll be a mismatch against Capela or they'll take out Boogie and go back to their speed ball lineups. T

The way you beat them is by going outside their box. That's how we got so close last season. We took Capela out and ran forwards at the center spot. Quicker, faster guys that can shoot, spread the floor, and switch defend at a different level than Capela can switch defend.

Same tired argument. We ain't beating them by running pick-and-roll. We might be able to beat a lot of teams with PnR. But not the Warriors.

We've got to find a longer, more athletic, younger, faster PJ. That's how we're going to beat the Warriors.

15. DaneB

DaneB Member

Haha. I think he learned his lesson. The Nets were really hoping to get Porter, so they put all sorts of poison pill options on his contract that the Wizards has to match. The sort that damns you to keep a player that no longer fits.

Easy likes this.
  16. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Of course Capela's speed would improve if he played fewer minutes. My point was that obviously it's harder to run fast for a long time than it is to run fast for a short time. So your link was missing that context.

Regardless, it also looked to me like Capela didn't do great against the Warriors in the playoffs, and I don't expect a ton to change this year.

Unfortunately those guys you listed who can't even earn 30 mpg in the regular season will also be unable to earn 30 mpg against an all-time great team.

Capela is the best reasonable option we have and without him we're having a much harder time even getting to a series with GSW.

bobloblaw likes this.
  17. basketballholic

I don't agree. I think with him we're having a much harder time even getting to a series with GSW with him. Because Ariza and Luc are gone and we're depending on an undrafted rookie and Ennis to take their place. And we're running a rookie center out there behind him. We're not deep enough. We're not as good as last year. And he didn't help us when we finally got to the Warriors. For us to be better than last year he's got to go. We've got to find a difference making small-ball center. Especially since apparently Melo isn't going to stay.

We need that guy that will run Draymond out of gas chasing him up and down and will force Draymond to have to hang out on the perimeter while Harden does his work. That ain't Capela.

18. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Fair points. I would like to have a C like that too... but not at the expense of Capela

19. justtxyank

Annoys me that holic has turned yet another thread into a trade capela thread, but infuriates me that he’s done it with the Otto porter movement thread!

Deuce, BigMaloe, Deckard and 4 others like this.
  20. basketballholic

So you wouldn't trade Capela, Knight, Nene, Chriss, and Melo for Porter, Mahinmi, Satoransky, Oubre, and Bryant?