1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Celtics approached the Rockets on interest in Gordon Hayward

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, Nov 13, 2018.

1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Fyreball and steddinotayto like this.
  2. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Damn Morey and MDA ball at its finest

3. justtxyank

It's like tears fell from Moreys eyes and landed on a clay statue and it was brought to life as Otto Porter Jr.

joshuaao, hakeem94 and Rudyc281 like this.
  4. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

5. ab0_bleedred

ab0_bleedred Member

6. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

hakeem94, mario elie and tc0330 like this.
  7. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Rockets need more switchy 3 and d guys wherever they can get them - proven or unproven doesn't matter as long as they can play within the offense/defensive scheme. I've never seen Oubre look as awkward with the ball as Ennis so I doubt that comp is correct and the Wiz have been one of the most dysfunctional teams in recent memory so I'm not sure if you can make broad generalizations about his development based on the team culture there. What I can tell you is that a sizeable number of Wiz fans would much rather have Oubre doing most of the Porter Jr things at a fraction of the cost. I'm not saying Oubre is better or even close to as good as OP but I'm saying that Oubre is a decent player and when you are paying OP Jr the max it limits how far the Wiz are going to dig into their pockets for a player at the same position so they have to ask themselves some tough questions about how much they are willing to spend to retain Oubre, what the market for him is, and if he is likely to sign elsewhere for more money/diff culture, then they would be stupid not to try to extract some value out of trading him now...OR trading OP Jr for cap flexibility and signing Oubre to a more reasonable contract and using that extra money elsewhere on the roster. My point is even without the obvious clashing personalities on the roster leading to them being a bottom 3 team in the East, they still have to make some decisions about what to do with their roster based on upcoming FA and Houston would be smart to keep themselves in that loop to see what shakes out as anything could be in play.

basketballholic likes this.
  8. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Solid stats - thanks for sharing those. I didn't realize he was that elite as a shooter.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  9. topfive

topfive CF OG

Are we sure that ankle even healed properly? Looks funny to me.

[​IMG]

10. YOLO

YOLO Member

it absolutely does matter if its proven rather than unproven. That's one of the last biggest missing pieces left to fill on this roster. And it's pretty much the most glaring hole. How do you expect to compete with a historic team for a title with a bunch of unknowns? Just hope, potential, tools? Ill pass as much as I can on that. What exactly does wiz fans have to do with any of this. You keep referencing them as if they're the most credible sources in the world. there's a bunch of meloofs on the board. should the rest of the world take their advice also? The oubre/ennis reference was just a comparison, as they are really no different from each other as players and actual impact on the floor. Whatever you think may look "awkward" isn't really important as far as actual play.

#310 YOLO, Nov 14, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
  11. Kruze10

Kruze10 Member

Woah, I didn't realize how bad he was doing this year. Not sure what show or what personality said it on TV, but they mentioned how he wasn't doing too bad this year.

12. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Proven comes with a price tag. To quote Morey, "The teams that find the Chandler Parsons, not the ones that pay them the max, are the ones that succeed long term". I would say that applies here as well.

clutchdabear and BMoney like this.
  13. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Instant Classic!!!!!!!

hakeem94 likes this.
  14. Rocket_Man_2.0

Not this crap again...i'm still recovering from Jimmy Butler fiasco!! If happens great....but emotionally detached!!

hakeem94 likes this.
  15. justtxyank

Let me say that I would surely take Oubre Jr if we could get him without spending a ton and see what you could make of him.

However, part of the problem with Otto in Washington is that he's paid the max and he's not a superstar. He can't be your best player or second best player. He feeds off of creators, he doesn't create. He's not a dynamic offensive player. They are frustrated in Washington because they have constant issues and they feel like Otto Porter doesn't do enough and they (rightfully) think they need someone who can be a more forceful, dynamic player instead of letting Wall and Beal do everything and Porter just picks up scraps. A constant complaint is he doesn't demand the ball, doesn't shoot enough.

It's all true and fair. If I could pick any player in the NBA that was on a max deal of course I wouldn't pick Otto Porter. However, his salary isn't relevant to me now, he has his contract. What's relevant to me is whether he makes the team better and he does. He would be our best shooter by far and a good (not elite) defensive player that can switch. His overpaid contract is the only reason he'd even be available to us. If he was paid $10 million a year people would be lining up to trade for him or Washington would refuse to do it. The fact that he makes over $20 million is the only reason nobody will knock down their doors to get him.

Deuce, BigMaloe, clutchdabear and 2 others like this.
  16. Rocket_Man_2.0

Eric Gordon for Hayward!!

17. YOLO

YOLO Member

great. referencing a time where the rockets were no where near a true contender.

he tried to apply that outperform contract mentality this offseason. Look what happened. he's most certainly learned the hard way when you get this close and became a true contender

hakeem94 likes this.
  18. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

To keep it even simpler: if he can play like this on a team of Wall and Beal feeding him the ball, think of what havoc can be unleashed when a better backcourt duo of Harden and Paul gets him the ball.

19. mockster

mockster Member

@BimaThug Can rockets actually trade for Hayward without giving up our rotational pieces such as Gordon and Tucker?.

20. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

hahahaha! AWESOME