1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Rockets Will Be Just Fine

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Jon Le, Oct 31, 2018.

1. Jon Le

Jon Le New Member

Hey everyone, wrote another article on the Rockets. Check it out below or at OTGbasketball.com:

O.T.T.T: The Rockets Will Be Just Fine

October 30, 2018
    Jonathan Le

[​IMG]
    NBA.com

The Rockets are off to a rough start, losing four out of its first five games. Two of the losses were blow outs at home, once in the season opener against the Pelicans and then against the Clippers. Given the slow start and major changes to the roster and coaching staff, its easy to panic. This is what I have to say:

[​IMG]

Relax. We’re going to be absolutely fine.

Defense
    Yes, the Rockets have been quite awful on defense. They’ve allowed 118.8 points per game, which ranks them sixth worst in the entire league. But look at how many players have been out. The full squad has only played two games together, given the suspensions and injuries to Chris Paul, James Harden, James Ennis, Zhou Qi, Marquese Chriss, Brandon Knight, and Nene. That’s seven rotation players who have missed time, and there’s no way the team could game plan and build chemistry in their absences. The good news is that each of those guys should return soon, and the Rockets can get back to playing solid defense.

After the second loss to the Clippers, Coach D’Antoni initially said he would abandon the switch-everything defense in favor of something more traditional. Without specifically calling out Melo, there’s no doubt that he’s the primary target getting roasted by opponents after the switch. However, D’Antoni changed courses after reviewing the statistics. He noted that opponents only scored 0.96 points per possession on switches, which would actually rank the Rockets’ defense as second best in the league. The coaching staff has some work to do, but I’m confident they’ll figure things out alongside the analytics team.

Offense
    The main offensive concern is of course how Melo fits in. There’s some good news to that end; Melo’s shooting has significantly improved. After starting the season shooting an ice cold 3 of 15 from three, Melo has connected on 9 of 18 in the last two games. His shooting selection has conformed to Rockets standards, meaning the bulk of his shots are either at the rim or from behind the arc. Check out the differences in the charts below that compare his shot selection year over year. 73% of his shots this year have been in the restricted area or a three-point attempt, which is a huge increase from last year’s mark of 56%.

[​IMG]
    Shot charts from NBA.com

Conclusion
    In summary, the Rockets have 77 games to figure things out before the Playoffs. There is also a decent chance that they land Jimmy Butler (how the heck can Minnesota truly turn down four draft picks), which in my opinion would put them right beside the Warriors. For now, let’s just breathe, take in Aaron Rodgers’ advice, and RELAX.

hakeem94, D-rock, DreamShook and 2 others like this.
  2. Reeko

Reeko Member

Fine as in we’ll eventually turn the corner to become some run of the mill playoff team with flaws, or fine as in we’ll become some legit contender and challenger to GS? I have little faith in this current squad.

Look at the level of defense that was played in games 4, 5, and the 1st halves of games 6 and 7 against GS in last year’s WCF? Who here thinks this squad could come close to that elite level defensively?

The answer to beating GS was not taking a big step back defensively and adding the “offensive firepower” of washed scrubs like Melo.

3. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

4. cerophilik

cerophilik Member

... Once we get jimmy and we get rid of MCW .

5. CALI_MOST_WANTD

On the plus side the suns are worse than us so far so maybe we can get Ariza back still and turn this season around. I find it hard to believe we going be bad all season. Unless injuries keep happening.

6. CertifiedTroll

Cleverly disguised [Calm Down] thread with a few stats thrown in.

hakeem94 and jamisonrocket like this.
  7. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

"relax"

same **** said during the dwightmare season

Mathloom likes this.
  8. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

9. BigBum

BigBum Member

It will be fine if Morey finds good replacement for jeff, ariza and moute.

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Term Fine will be re-defined.

11. thehoustoner

thehoustoner Member

If we can’t get Jimmy B, is it possible the Rockets would split those picks and possible players to grab 2 good players to come off the bench/start who can actually knock down their shots?

12. CCorn

CCorn Member

That was the worst game I’ve been to since we were blown out by the mavs in 2015

13. Oakland Fan

Oakland Fan Member

I think the Rockets will be fine and will get either the second seed or finish within a couple of games of the second seed.

It is easy to get depressed because of a few lousy performances, but you have two sure-fire Hall of Fame players who will certainly right the ship. As upset as fans are about the poor start, I believe Harden and Paul are much more unhappy. They are both super competitive.

Although it might seem like a great short-term fix, I think Gordon plus four first round draft picks is too much for Butler. Those assets would be better spent closer to the trading deadline. If the Rockets could get Anthony Davis for those four first round picks and Gordon and Capela, and Davis can be persuaded to stay beyond next season, then the Rockets would be competitive with anyone for the next several years.

BigShasta likes this.
  14. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I honestly don't know why anyone would want to come on our team the way fans bash players the first sign they do bad. All this Melo hate is terrible, when our season has just begun. All the negative threads are like a repeat of the past with Anderson bashing, Brewer bashing, etc... Come on everybody, let's back our players this year. Give them time to get their chemistry together with all 3 of our most important players starting together. With James' injury and Paul's suspension, things just aren't going to be the same. Give it time. Don't bash the players anyway. They are doing their best. If anyone is to blame, do it to those hiring and trading players, or making lineup decisions. Let's back our guys! The sun will rise tomorrow, the sky isn't falling, and things will get better. I believe. Go Rockets!!

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

What?

Utter speculation. Laker rumors have more traction than this.

AD isn't in the mix. People are out of their minds because of the season, they see hallucinations.

New Orleans would toss away their best player in history.

He will be better than CP3 was for them. Yeah I said it.

16. MystikArkitect

Sadly, wake me up when the playoffs start.

CP3, Capela, Tucker, EGo and Harden are still on this team. Home court doesn’t matter. There’s like, one team with more talent than them. Use the whole season as a big guinea pig as far as I’m concerned.

hakeem94 likes this.
  17. macan

macan Member

i believe our team is built for the playoff only..specifically for beating the worriers...
    so *** the regular season games...!