1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

New Faces from Old Places: Marquese Chriss

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Zen Tabak, Sep 4, 2018.

1. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

His rookie year in PHX he had a veteran PG in Bledsoe giving him the ball, and he looked amazing. Some people even had him as their ROY.

The following year he had Tyler Ulis.

I think this is the main reason for his 2nd year drop in production. There is no better situation for Chriss in the entire NBA right now with Lucas, Olajuwon, Paul and Harden all mentoring him.

Mazulis, jcf, Bearius Jones and 5 others like this.
  2. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

If he sucks with Harden and Paul giving him the ball and if he sucks within a system that's pretty much player friendly all-around then yea he deserves to be out of the league. That being said, I am still going to believe that this kid will turn his career around because nothing in that Phoenix organization in the past decade has proven to be a good place for a young player to develop.

I'll gladly eat crow if he becomes Stromile Swift 2.0.

3. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Holy Sh-t, that article made me sad. How is your BBIQ so low you can't catch lobs!? My Houston Rockets bubble made me excited for Chriss' prospects..

Clint Capela has spoiled me with his willingness to work hard and do what coaches tell him to do. He got 90 mil by simply running hard every time, catching lobs and blocking shots. I thought any big man with long arms could do what Clint can do. Apparently playing hard isn't simple.

Is listening a talent in the NBA?

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Ability to listen - talent in the human world and animal world.

Roomba, DreamShook and hakeem94 like this.
  5. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

sometimes talent the other times cause of the fall

6. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

He can't be worse than Nene

BigggReddd likes this.
  7. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

:D:D:D

8. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

Because someone that doesn’t play getting $20M won’t cause chemistry issues, obviously.

You should write “seems to me,” instead of “seems to be,” next time something is seemingly obvious to you.

9. Nook

Nook Member

It requires effort and caring, and Chriss lacks both of those qualities. It isn't the hardest thing in the world but you still have to watch the driver and cut in to the post and know when to move accordingly. Anyone that REALLY wants to do it, can do it if they work hard enough. It wasn't natural for Jordan or Yao or any number of other players, but they figure it out.

Dedication isn't easy when it is something you don't love. Capela loves basketball and Chriss does not.

A lot of players do not listen....... ask MDA why he couldn't stand coaching Nate Robinson. Why did the Rockets struggle defensively with Parsons and Lin on the floor? You have got to listen.

DreamShook likes this.
  10. Rudyball

Rudyball Contributing Member

Agreed, if he can't be successful here then it is unlikely he will anywhere else

coachbadlee likes this.
  11. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

This kid is miles above what Whiteside was at that age as far as talent. My hope is that Chris Paul's professional ways can somewhat rub off on him. The team needs to sit this youngster down and have a long talk with him. He really does have the potential to be great with a little hard work.

Bearius Jones likes this.
  12. alethios

alethios Member

No but I miss the hype that is Melton.

KlutchQT likes this.
  13. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

its important to remember that some players just don't want it as much as the fans do.

we assume because we care about winning, that the players MUST care about winning or improving... and the fact is most do and some don't.

14. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

i dont think it was about the LT. i think it was about getting some on court production for $20M. imagine if the warriors had to sit $20M on the bench during the rockets series? we'd be the champions. LT or not we can't afford to have $20M in dead cap.

teams with guys we wanted (Hawks, Heat, Hornets) didn't want $20M in dead cap either. so we went to plan B, now we have $14M in dead cap. maybe that's easier to move to one of those 3 teams for bazemore, johnson, or marvin.

the fact that we saved on taxes is due to needing to trade ryno for a more tradable asset... more tradable meant cheaper... cheaper saved on taxes. lets see who knight is traded for. if he's traded with an asset for another cheaper player or expiring contract then we will know it was all to save money. but, if he is traded for a more expensive player who can actually help on the court (and will add to the tax bill), then we will know it was just good asset management.

Bearius Jones likes this.
  15. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

What a garbage biased article.

dkoune likes this.
  16. MarioKissoDeath

Supporting Member

He’s another contract for the trade deadline to throw in with Knight. If he shines, we keep him and throw in MCW to a trade instead. It’s a win-win.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  17. baubo

baubo Member

Felt this since the trade. My guess is the Rockets take a look at him in camp and then most likely decline his 4th year option. It’s a mostly no brained. Even if he plays decently, it’s extremely unlikely he plays so well that someone will give him a big contract where the Rockets can’t compete. Even Looney with the Warriors didn’t get a big offer after they declined his option last year. So there’s very little risk.

And if he plays awesome and gets a big contract, you better believe the Rockets will then be able to convince some other young FA big to come for little money. “See even this guy who hates basketball came and got himself paid! You can be even better than him!”

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  18. dmoneybangbang

At worst this guy is a sweetener for a mid season or offseason trade package.

Realistic optimism is he provides some minutes along with Tucker as the backup center.

19. glenadyll

glenadyll Contributing Member

You gotta remember that he was surrounded by babies in Phoenix. There is a reason they were willing to give Trevor 15M. They know how badly they needed the mythical "veteran leadership" in that team. Morey is betting on culture and older dudes who have made a lot of money in their careers to show him what's what. It works for some (Clint), and not for others (KJ).

#39 glenadyll, Sep 4, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2018
    BigggReddd and Bearius Jones like this.
  20. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He's 21 for crying out loud. Too early to tell. Especially for a big....picked at 8..getting the good housekeeping seal of DM, and...the guy gets to be groomed by the finest big man finishing school there is. @ Houston Rockets. (and, playing in our system with James & Chris)

Most likely a rotation player, backup 5...and that's a win. Plus, theres a ton of upside potential.

Mr.Scary, Rashmon, 18pbr and 4 others like this.