1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Queen of Soul, Aretha Franklin dies at 76

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by heypartner, Aug 16, 2018.

1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

All hail the Queen of Soul
    Rest in power!

Rocket River

arkoe and daywalker02 like this.
  2. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Reminded me of this the entire time
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Kim likes this.
  3. what

what Member

She can't get away, but I grew up in a black church, and this is pretty normal stuff. Preachers are usually pretty hands-y especially when they are trying to exult someone. I think it looks worse than it actually was.

And yes, I'm not black, and yes, I did actually go to an all-black church where I was the only white person there.

ferrari77 likes this.
  4. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

No one asked.

Jontro, AroundTheWorld and Sajan like this.
  5. what

what Member

I am shocked and mortified, truly.
    And its "noone."

6. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Saw that on Twitter right after it happened, when most were just LOLing at his Taco Bell punchline, and it stood out how worried she looked while he was holding her like that. She even looks back at the people behind her, asking for help with her eyes. That was weird.

I wouldn't condemn the preacher for it. But he should probably stop doing things like that.

7. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

8. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

I have no problem with Bill ogling her since she's made her career off her sex appeal, and I found it hypocritical when she was upset about people sexualizing her. You can look, but not touch. That pastor is deplorable.

Sajan likes this.
  9. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

I agree with your conclusion as it was quite a stupid joke and move by the pastor ...especially in this day and age.
    My only question is... where do you get that she was asking for help with her eyes? People seem to be quick to impart what they believe she felt or was saying with her eyes or movement and are all of a sudden "Bill Simmons-ish body language experts". Perhaps she was looking back to see if others were laughing at the corny joke or were in shock or what their reaction was to his foolish joke.

10. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

She was pulling away from him the whole time (and he was holding on so she couldn't get away, hence his fingers digging into the side of her breasts) and her eyes were *wide* open the whole time. She's even leaning back as far as possible to maintain some space. She looked very uncomfortable and unsure of what was going on.

"asking for help with her eyes" was an assumption on my part because when she did that she looked back (away from the camera). But given that she looked worried and was pulling away from this guy who was grabbing at her, I think it's a safe assumption that she was hoping someone might get her out of that situation.

Anyway I don't want to throw a pity party on her behalf specifically. Ariana Grande will be fine and will have legions of white knights at her defense until the end of time. My main point was that this interaction looked bad on camera and the preacher should stop being so grabby.

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

BeWell and Rest Well.

12. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Vegas odds for a preacher having sex with at least 3 members at any point in time are 10-1.

Most preachers can talk well. Most have power within their Church. Women like guys with conversation and power.

13. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

The pastor shouldn't have touched her like that.

Arianna shouldn't have worn a dress that short... very inappropriate for a funeral.

Thumbs Up to Bill for looking.

14. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Fake news. He's simply a fan of her singing talents.
    [​IMG]

#54 Bandwagoner, Sep 2, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2018
  15. fried rich

fried rich Member

o_O

Jontro and AroundTheWorld like this.
  16. what

what Member

Yeah, well I am half-Korean and half white. So yeah. Sometimes I identify as Korean and sometimes I identify as white. So my statement here was intentionally hyperbolic, to contrast my being out of place in a black church.

Thanks for calling me out.

17. Sajan

Sajan Member

Are you this weird in person? I can't imagine working with you.

18. what

what Member

yes

19. Senator

Senator Member

... except he has touched and assaulted women in that age range as President. Without their consent. Still don't have a problem with it?

20. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Clinton is definitely a sex offender, but he's innocent in regards to Ariana.