1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Marquese Chriss as an NBA player

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Haymitch, Aug 31, 2018.

?

How do you feel about Chriss' potential to develop into a good NBA player?

Poll closed Sep 30, 2018.
  1. Not good - no hope of developing into a good player.

24 vote(s)
    6.2%
  2. He's meh - small chance he develops into a good player.

102 vote(s)
    26.2%
  3. Not sure - 50/50 chance he develops into a good player.

120 vote(s)
    30.8%
  4. He's decent - decent chance that he develops into a good player.

114 vote(s)
    29.2%
  5. He's good - he will definitely develop into a good player.

30 vote(s)
    7.7%
  1. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

i don't think he will crack the rotation of a championship caliber team this year.

it's 50/50 if he even gets his option picked up. i want to say morey probably doesn't pick up the option but offers some sort of NG deal.

2. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I find it hilarious people are saying all he has to do is catch lobs. He is maybe the worst NBA player in history (who is athletic) at catching lobs. I'm genuinely shocked at how bad this guy is at catching lobs. At first I thought maybe the lobs being throw are terrible, but they were not. Then I thought you can make a lowlights video of anyone, but there are none for a 21 year old athletic 6'10 guy who has botched this many lobs.

It's really incredible. To say all he has to do is be like Capela is, frankly, an idiotic and insulting comment. If a player like Chriss were THAT CLOSE to Capela, we wouldn't be giving Capela $90m and declining Chriss' option in 2 months.

Watch the video, and I addressed any possible excuse about poor passers and nitpicked content. This should simply not have happened this often in one season, it is extremely alarming:

That doesn't mean I don't think he's salvageable. I'm just saying it is a joke to compare him to Capela. We have to treat Chriss like a rookie, and he has to commit like a rookie to our development program. Just assume he never played in the NBA, and take his experience with NBA life as a tiny bonus.

3. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Most of those Lobs were from out past the three point line. And some actually weren’t very good passed.

I like that he tries to dunk the ball around the rim.

Capela gets most of his love in half court sets not fast breaks like what Chriss was mostly doing in that video. Big difference.

Corrosion and hakeem94 like this.
  4. Russjr2

Russjr2 Contributing Member

Wait wait wait... So that's from 2 years ago and most of those lobs were from half court and a defender on or near him. Clint gets lobs in half court sets and Clint was missing dunks 2 years ago as well.

I think the kid has the length and athletic ability to play a Clint like role for us. He has shown some ability to put the ball on the floor and drive so that part of his game can still be developed. We not looking for a all star, but he could be a good PF/backup C we develop to fit our system over the next couple of years. We need athletic long players in today's NBA. How long we been fussing about undersized PFs? Haha

D-rock and hakeem94 like this.
  5. Mathloom

Supporting Member

I addressed this already. Take the exact same lobs and give it to literally any athletic 6'10 player in NBA history and they will make more. What you say is true when removing context, but it doesn't excuse the degree to which he is bad at this. Those exact lobs that you and I watched, he should not miss that many of them. Yes there are other players who would miss some or more of these. No one this bad. It's not comparable. It is mind blowing, and most Suns fans say he is terrible at this for reasons they can't understand.

@Russjr2 see above.

D-rock likes this.
  6. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

People really don't appreciate how coordinated Capela really is. To finish as well as he has around the rim isn't easy, even if it looks like he's fed alley oops. He's far more coordinated than even Deandre Jordan, who is also an elite finisher. Most fans would recoil in horror if we replaced Clint with Stromile Swift, even though Swift could also blocks shots and was extremely athletic. Swift's athleticism didn't matter because he was dumb as a box of hammers and was actually pretty uncoordinated. Chriss isn't quite Stromile bad, but he's not looking good so far.

That said, people aren't equating Chriss to Capela. The poll shows the majority are pretty pessimistic on him.

7. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Capela's lowest dunk percentage was 87.5% in his rookie year and he's only been better since then. Chriss' dunk percentage was 79.8% in 16-17 and actually went down last year. His hook shot and layup percentages are also sub-par for a big man.

8. RockWest

RockWest Contributing Member

#4 was pretty sick

gotsis likes this.
  9. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

im satisfied if he can be a good bench player which is what i eepxect of him this season

raining threes likes this.
  10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Never mention the name of StroSoft again whom Tracy wanted make an Allstar!

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Rarely did it get mentioned that we still have Caboclo and Hartenstein. I am confident they can catch lobs.

D-rock, hakeem94 and Mathloom like this.
  12. Reeko

Reeko Member

13. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Yeah, I just don’t agree with the point you are making. Is there a stat for missed lobs? Like I said, that’s a clip of someone highlighting plays to emphasize a point they want to make. How many lobs is he actually getting and finishing?

And like I said, some of those passes are bad and most of them are coming from beyond the three point line

I’ll have to wait to see him play everyday for myself. Anyone can take a few plays and put them together and make a player look really bad at something or really good at something.

I don’t remember this being an issue for him in college or his first year in the league. Now all of a sudden he’s bad at catching lobs?

D-rock likes this.
  14. bmd

bmd Member

Some of those were bad passes. Some were very difficult plays to make. And some of them were Chriss trying to do too much and playing outside of his ability or trying to add some showmanship to his dunk and it backfired.

Those are things that look to be correctable.

D-rock and hakeem94 like this.
  15. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

those were all also missed dunks by a 19yr old kid playing against grown men

No Worries and D-rock like this.
  16. bmd

bmd Member

You can't just look at the numbers and take them at face value. You have to ask WHY are his dunk numbers lower. One thing I would guess is that because he has such great athleticism, he's attempting much more difficult dunks than other players. He's trying difficult put-back dunks, trying to dunk over people, jumping from ridiculously far on lobs, etc. A young player playing a little outside of his ability.

These are things that can be addressed.

xtruroyaltyx, D-rock and hakeem94 like this.
  17. bmd

bmd Member

I'm gonna be honest, I don't know much of anything about Marquese Chriss. But, let's look at the numbers. First, I've noticed from watching some highlight videos that he's been playing mostly PF. Either Tyson Chandler or Alex Len are on the floor at center. I think Chriss is more suited to play center instead of launching 3's and playing at the elbow as a PF.

Here are the percentages of shots he takes from each spot on the floor:

37% of his shots come from 0-3 feet. 11% 3-10 feet, 6% 10-16 ft, 5% 16-3pt line, and 40% from 3.

If he were to play center with the Rockets, maybe he would play more similarly in style to Clint Capela. Clint Capela's percentages are:

80% of his shots come from 0-3 feet. 18% 3-10 feet.

So nearly 100% of Capela's shots are coming from right around the basket. Chriss is shooting 62% from 0-3 ft and 34% from 3-10 feet... compare that to Capela's 70% from 0-3 ft and 34% from 3-10. Now, Capela still has the better percentages, but now the numbers look more similar.

He would be much more efficient if he played more like Capela in a center role than shooting 40% of his shots from 3 as a PF. He's got the athleticism to do it. I'm not saying he is as good as Capela. I'm saying he should model his game to be more like Capela's game instead of a stretch-4 like he's doing now. Mostly playing around the basket as a center with the occasional ability to step out and hit a jumper.

18. xlr817

xlr817 Member

I like the potential of Criss! I think he will get the great coaching & the help of our 2 future HOFs to develop him! I don't there were anyone in Phoenix to develop him.

19. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Whatever your rationale, no matter how many he attempts, no matter how bad the passes, no matter how he did in the past, that is just absolutely too many in one season. It is bad, even if it is a clip of the only times it ever happened that year.

20. Mathloom

Supporting Member

In total, no other player would do as bad with the same passes, same difficulty and showing off. It's all in one season too.

Like I said, maybe we can fix him, but that is not ok and it is RIDICULOUS to compare him to Capela even on a small scale.