1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets trade Ryan Anderson to Suns

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mikol13, Aug 30, 2018.

?

Do you like the Rockets trade of Anderson & Melton to Phoenix for Brandon Knight & Marquese Chriss?

Poll closed Sep 14, 2018.
  1. YES

663 vote(s)
    85.9%
  2. NO

109 vote(s)
    14.1%
  1. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Totally agree with you. Not sure it happens quickly though. Would be cool if this turned into a three team deal, but not expecting it.

2. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Very similar to clogging up the toilet.

Waiting was wasn't cutting it and Murray just rolled up his sleeves...

B-Bob, hakeem94 and da_juice like this.
  3. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

I'm pretty ambivalent about the trade. Knight was already a mediocre player before his injuries. He might not even be serviceable if he doesn't recover well. Chriss at least improves our athleticism. He can be our Jordan Bell. I never got to see Melton play at USC so wasn't on the hype train.

4. PatBev

PatBev Member

Morey when he sees a solid player that is injury prone
    [​IMG]

fba34, luckyman76, jch1911 and 3 others like this.
  5. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Well, the trade is not about Anderson, its about the Rockets.

In the current status of Anderson's contract, it is very difficult to find any takers, even you are willing to offer some assets with him together, so eventually you will need to take back bad contracts too.

By trading his contract plus a 46th pick and get back a 14-15 mils bad contract but the player (knight) is also much easier to trade in the future, that give us flexibility.

So in worst scenario, we lost a 46th pick never played a minute yet, then dump a terrible contract with a player we have no intention to play in the coming season, to a bad contract that is easier to create future trades, plus a lotto bust we may want to check out,

and of course, making the boss happy because we just saved a sh't load of money.

BigO likes this.
  6. Zergling

Zergling Member

Few thoughts:
    • You have to love Morey. He once again finds a 2nd round steal in Melton who thrives in the Summer League and is immediately used as bait to accomplish another goal. I'm sure many will be sad to lose him, but he's 6'3" -- just too small to be a switchable wing defender that we're looking for to counter the Warriors and teams like them. There's a reason why we were willing to trade Melton and not Vince Edwards who is 6'7". Melton was a pure best player available pick that can be flipped later.

• Knight is basically CP3 insurance if he gets hurt again in the playoffs. Knight can at least play competently at the point which means Eric Gordon can continue being an exclusive SG. Have to think EG being forced to play the point in Game 6/7 vs the Warriors impacted his play negatively.

• Even if you hate Knight, his contract is more tradeable than Anderson -- about $6 million less than Ryno both this year and next year. Ryno's contract not only was a disaster, his game on the court and especially at Toyota Center really cratered. Cannot be emphasized enough how much it will help the team that he's being replaced with Melo, a guy who will not be shy to take the long threes the offense demands him to take. Lack of confidence is never going to be an issue with Anthony.

• We have an old team, but it's nice to have a young prospect/project or two on the team to look forward to. Chriss can be groomed to be another high flying rim-protector so we don't lose our defensive edge at the paint when Capela rests. It's also intriguing that Chriss is already shooting threes, though not that well yet. If he can make a decent % of corner threes as a 5, imagine what that would do for Harden's drives if the paint is cleared. One stat - among Suns players that played at last 1,000 minutes, Chriss led that group in DRTG.

• One more point on Chriss, note his game log the last month of the regular season. Seemed like he was starting to get a hang of things. Couple of double-doubles sprinkled in there, and 2 of his last 3 games were nearly 20/10s
      http://www.espn.com/nba/player/gamelog/_/id/3907487/marquese-chriss

Hui, seeingred, D-rock and 9 others like this.
  7. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I would agree with you that next year's first round pick would have been less to pay. Late first rounders are probably as likely to succeed in the NBA as second rounders are, but they're paid more and you have less contract flexibility. But so what, whether we give up #29 or #46, we're giving up very little. Dropping Anderson was going to be expensive; I thought it'd be more expensive than it has turned out to be.

8. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

I wonder who will posterize him as a rocket. At least he's not afraid to get in there and gaurd a center running to the rim.

9. MONON

MONON Member

Same reason Melo waived his no-trade-clause. Ryno will get his guaranteed 15M for 2019 & still be able to sign a full contract for 2019 + years.

10. bratna8

bratna8 Member

Question of moving Knight and Chriss (if needed). Do we have to wait 30 days, or can they be moved before signing with the Rockets?

11. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

As the President and Founder of ABRA (Anyone But Ryan Anderson) this is a day I've long awaited. I am thrilled to see him gone. But I'd be lying if I said I've watched the Suns much in recent years so I don't really understand if there is any chance in hell that Knight returns to pre-injury form and can contribute off the bench or if Chriss can reach his potential with us. It's definitely interesting to add a lottery talent in Chriss to our system.

Some additional thoughts:

If Knight returns to form and can be a scoring boon off the bench does he make Eric Gordon more expendable? It would be nice if we could now use Gordon and our 1st as the center pieces in a deal if someone like Jimmy Butler truly becomes available. I like our chances of working out a deal for someone like that a lot better if we're not having to include Ryan Anderson in the deal.

#611 Williamson, Aug 31, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2018
  12. mockster

mockster Member

You don’t even know what Melton could’ve brought, he’s a rookie do you think he was gonna magically shut down curry?. Our guard defense isn’t the issue. Chris Paul is a great defender, harden has to play for scoring but he’s solid when he buckles down. Gordon is a solid defender aswell. We wouldn’t of brought Melton in for defense at that position even if hypothetically he got minutes and was even that good. He has upside but he was gonna need development. He may get that on suns with poss more minutes to learn.

Brandon Knight is only one season a way from averaging 17 ppg?. The guy isn’t perfect but injuries have plagued him.

If he’s healthy he has way more value then a useless tree Anderson was. Plus 14 mil is a lot better spec in a package. Knight might get minutes where Anderson would’ve retained his same value bench watching

Chriss has upside to, only 21, high energy player that has an aresenal of weapons. He has a high upside in my opinion and suns fans really liked him.

Posting for 20 years doesn’t make you reputable at all, it just means you’ve been a fan for that long. it doesn’t mean your opinion is valid.

I’m sure you’ve stated some good opinions in the past but this one we can agree to disagree.

seeingred and Hakeemtheking like this.
  13. craguin

craguin Member

Hui, BigMaloe, hakeem94 and 4 others like this.
  14. Mr Chuck Norris

I hate the word knucklehead. Internet forums always call young players with a bit of an edge a knucklehead and act like they can’t play. Gerald green was once a “knucklehead” too. Smh. Chriss is a back up 4/5 with great defensive potential. He can rebounds catch lobs and block shots. We have little to know young legs on this squad until now. It’s not like we had a playable backup for Clint anyways. Come on. Stop crying. This is a GREAT trade. Now we have criss, ennis,

15. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Honestly, my thoughts on the trade is that my feelings are mixed.

1) Glad Anderson is moved. Wasn't a fit on the roster anymore.
    2) I like Melton as a prospect and was disappointed he was moved.
    3) Brandon Knight was a player I liked many years ago. Before we got Eric Gordon. I thought he would be good fit next to Harden like Gordon is now. Can he come back from the injury to be productive? I don't know. But adding a combo guard like Knight goes along with what @Codman was saying in reducing the drop in play with PG out. Why the Rockets were also looking at Tyler Johnson.
    4) Chriss - clearly the athleticism is there. And he is young. Can he be a quality lob threat? Can the Rockets tap that potential? I don't know. Honestly, I am more worried he is a Stromile Swift, Thomas Robinson type player. Low BBIQ that can't defend. I want to believe in him, but right now I really don't. I hope I am wrong.

Rockets broke up Anderson's contract into 2 pieces. They had to use Melton to grease the wheels. BUT kept their 2019 1st round pick.

Can Knight+2019 1st get a wing player? That's really the next question. We might not know until December or February trade deadline.

Hui, luckyman76, ArtV and 4 others like this.
  16. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

Dude is soft. Was just born tall. Im not riding with him in a alley. I want guys like that...that are bigs

17. MONON

MONON Member

I don't think it makes EGO overall more expendable. He just returns to a 2 instead of being a combo guard. Now we start Harden/CP3 & bring EGO/ Knight off the bench.

That being said, all bets are off in a trade for Butler!

18. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Managed to miss hearing about the deal here until this morning. Read the first 10 pages and then skipped to the end, after digging a little into the 2 guys Morey traded for. It's a roll of the dice by Morey, but more like he rolled the dice after doing something amazing. Moving Anderson, who I gave up on completely after his late season implosion, without giving up any pick at all, 1st or 2nd round. The rolling the dice part is Knight being healthy enough to play backup point minutes after coming off a major ACL injury, and Chriss, an 8th pick in the lottery, dumped by Phoenix. He had a late season hip injury. We have to hope it's nothing that could linger. I doubt that it will.

The other question mark is what happened to him last season? He had a good April until the injury. Pretty impressive series of games. So why did they deal him? If there isn't anything wrong with him that a change in scenery and some maturity can't cure, we have filled two positions of need. A backup point (if Knight is healthy enough to play - he has some proven talent), and a backup to Capela, which we needed, badly. A backup who, if his head is on straight, could be a rotation player at some point during the season. Maybe he needed to be traded to reach his potential. He's coming to a contender, he has the best guard tandem in the league, in my opinion, who will get him a lot of buckets around the basket, and we have a great coaching staff. The guy may end up surprising some folks with his play.

Melton? I was looking forward to seeing him develop, but he was obviously the key to the deal not including some picks. It's an old saw, but you have to give to get. I think we got a lot, all things considered. I'm scratching my head, wondering who Morey hypnotized in Phoenix to make this happen. I would never play poker with the dude!

#618 Deckard, Aug 31, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2018
  19. BigO

BigO Member

Some people here are NUTS. I remember when everyone thought i'd take 2 first rounders to move him or at BEST one 1st and we still would get **** return. Now we got great haul and people are still mad, yall need to apply for GM's lol. It does not matter if Melton ball outs, you cant predict everyones future, there are many players like him with upside, but most of them dont pan out. 1st round picks are MORE value to other team, any way you slice it, they might not mean much to us when we're in contending mode and 46 or 29 is nearly same to us, but to rebuilding teams it means much, the fact that we STILL have that pick means we might packs either Chriss or Knight or both along someone else for even better return, who knows, maybe we package Chriss, EGO and 1st for Butler.

seeingred, luckyman76, Bids9 and 2 others like this.
  20. JW86

JW86 Member

So people really think we could have had a Bazemore or someone similar if Morey had given up a 1st round pick?