1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Now what are Morey's FINAL summer moves?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by topfive, Aug 13, 2018.

1. luckyman76

luckyman76 Member

100% this. The staggering concept is not new but the Rocket-Spurs series with Harden demonstrated the performance cap you have on running a superstar in the ground. The Rockets were masterful this last year in exploiting the 240 minutes reality. I 100% believe the CP3 conversations with Melo have been about this. He was unhappy because he was relegated to an afterthought in OKC. CP3's unselfishness and leadership is addictive. He proved himself how deadly having superstars staggered is in a game. Our win level went up so high because Harden and CP3 got to be themselves in solo settings and learned how to play together when not staggered. Teams that survived the Beard's onslaught were greeted with getting executed by CP3's squad based attack. At our most effective EGo and Ryno were supposed to lead the wings of that attack. EGo more than held up the bargain and Ryno quit. Melo in that role will be deadly. As the season goes he will learn how to pick his spots when playing with different sets while having the base of his game playing what he knows and being in rhythm and part of the team. Getting any positive asset for Ryno in a 3&D wing will further add to the team balance.

2. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I am beginning to think the "Anderson trade" could end up being a two step affair. Split him up into 2 players (perhpas expirings). Perhaps 2 meh players in our eyes. And then perhaps hang tight and during the season or near the trade deadline use 1 of the expirings + our 1st round pick to add a "key player." Things might not materialize with the Anderson trade right away. Just might have to juggle some things to get a better advantage.

#102 Deuce, Aug 15, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2018
  3. seeingred

seeingred Member

What he said ☝️. I remember when we used to wince as harden came out because we'd continually cough up the lead. As a fan you're torn between wanting to get james some rest and wanting to win this game.

Now we get to see CP3 and Melo carve up the opposing team's 2nd unit while the mvp gets a breather. Here's to no one averaging over 34 mpg this year.

4. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Melo will be at 23 points per game. CP3 will be 15 to 18.

5. broteinshake

broteinshake Member

If we can get rid of Anderson and acquire a good 3&D wing, I'd say our offseason was pretty damn successful - contrary to what the current reports suggests

D-rock likes this.
  6. hak

hak New Member

This should be our next move:

Sacremento receives:
    Ryan Anderson
    1st round pick from Houston

Washington receives:
    Zach Randolph
    2nd round pick from Houston

Houston Receives:
    Kelly Oubre Jr
    Ian Mahimi

Sac absorbs some salary for an extra year but rewarded a first round pick.

Washington gets a contributor and expiring contract in Zack Randolph and sheds $7.5M in cap space. They no longer have to pay luxury tax. They get rid of Mahimi's contract which is similar to Ryno's but less. Perhaps they don't want to pay KO next summer since they have Otto Porter. 2nd round pick bonus.

We get a younger upgraded version of Ariza. KO can handle, is athletic, young, and has a 7'3 wingspan. He is a good defender. I think better than Ariza. Also Mahimi is a great backup for Capela. Better defender and lob threat than Nene. This trade makes out rotation younger as well.

KELLY OUBRE WILL BE BETTER THAN ANY PLAYER WE GET WITH OUR FIRST ROUND PICK NEXT YEAR.

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  7. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Which is why Washington sure as hell is not looking to trade him for Zach Randolph!

Zach Randolph and Iman Shumpert are the type of players Ryno can land us but even then we have to sweeten the pot cuz those two are expirings and Ryno is not.

You're not getting a GOOD player for Ryno. Enough with the wishful thinking. Even if the player is extremely overpaid, you're still not getting him if he's good and all you have to offer is Ryno and no names. Otto may be overpaid, but Washington isn't trying to dump him, certainly not for cap relief.

I don't even see Atlanta trading Bazemore for Ryno straight up or plus a first round pick, but we'll see.

D-rock, Sanity2disChaos and saleem like this.
  8. yixiixiy

yixiixiy Member

Excatly. That's why I actually like the ideas such as the floated JR + Korver trade. (Quasi) expiring (in that case JR) and smaller contract with the same duration (in that case Korver). More tradable at the deadline. Plus the benefit of potentially not sending out a 1st.

Gordon + expiring midsized contract (JR) + 1st is arguably a very compelling package at the deadline.

If not Korver is as serviceable (or not) as Ryno. (And who cares how much JR hurts us in the regular season anyway. )

9. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

I am OK with Ryno staying
    he can help us get regular season wins record

D-rock and Zoplicone like this.
  10. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Kelly Oubre would be a great get but that doesn't lineup with what @ch44 was saying in terms of us not getting our hopes up for a "big" move.

D-rock and jch1911 like this.
  11. jch1911

jch1911 Member

I would love it too.... BUT why does Cleveland do that deal?
    They can pay $3.87M (JR) & $3.44M (Korver) to buy out contracts vs. pay $20M for Ryan next year....

12. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Yeah I’m not desperate to unload him. The only thing concerning about not getting rid of him now is people seem to think that we can put together a great package next summer with him as an expiring, but there are so many teams with big expirings next summer that can attach more attractive picks, and that’s really all we have to offer on top of Ryno’s expiring. With the team we have now I doubt Zhou Qi, IH or Melton would get enough playing time to appear to be an attractive asset.

13. PrettyEdward

PrettyEdward Member

I wonder is Moe Harkless aligns with what @ch44 alluded to.

jch1911 likes this.
  14. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I think Moe Harkless would fall into the "meh" camp along with Shumpert. Certainly a downgrade from thoughts of James Johnson and Kent Bazemore. That said, Harkless would be a solid addition and certainly better than a Shumpert level addition.

15. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Melton could be a long term asset for any team, but you are right, any potential trading team would like to see him play first. I'm cautiously optimistic, that he could prove himself to be an Avery Bradley with better passing ability in a couple of years. I think he should be held on to, unless a real difference maker becomes available, which is unlikely to happen.

I think DM realizes that, and is unwilling to give him up quickly. Otherwise Bazemore might already have been a Houston Rocket.

D-rock, Shark44 and hakeem94 like this.
  16. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

That’s just way too much speculation. We don’t actually know Atlanta would even consider that. Bazemore is overpaid and Atlanta is willing to part with him, I don’t doubt that. But they did play him 27 minutes a game and at no point has there ever been a report saying he was a distraction or had an attitude a la Dwight or Schroeder. So to take back Ryno’s contract, someone who couldn’t see the floor and is certainly not needed for a rebuild, is possibly something they would never consider even if it comes with a late first rounder or someone they could have drafted themselves. We’re running away with topics just because of posters’ wishful thinking. In all honesty, if I was Atlanta’s GM, I’d say hell no to Houston. I’d hope Bazemore has a better year next year and his value can sky rocket in the summer where he is an expiring 3 and D veteran. Sounds a lot better than having Ryno who’s literally just there to get paid and a late first rounder.

D-rock, Pat and bratna8 like this.
  17. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

You're probably right. Rumors about him being possibly being moved for a young player, in a package for Ryan have been going around. I'm not implying that Ryan is better than Bazemore by any means.

18. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

I see Morey's plan as a 4-year window to win a championship with this current roster.

2018 -- Ride with Harden, Paul, and Melo and see where that takes the Rockets in the playoffs.
    2019 -- If not successful, then trade Anderson's expiring contract for another big piece and reevaluate Carmelo.
    2020 -- Still not there, then make a big splash... maybe Anthony Davis?
    2021 -- Okay one final push or consider moving CP3. Still have Harden and Capela signed through 2022.

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

Not that CH needs any sort of confirmation...

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article216509625.html

The Heat believes James Johnson is going to be consistently better after his surgery for sports hernia surgery.

That — combined with his defensive acumen, ability to get to the basket and versatility — are among the reasons why Miami hasn’t shopped him this offseason.

“It’s something that he played through last year and it affected him for sure,” his agent, Mark Bartelstein, said of the sports hernia. “They don’t come any tougher than James. His pain threshold is unlike anyone I’ve seen.”

Johnson averaged 10.9 points, 4.8 rebounds and 3.9 assists and shot 50.8 percent from the field and 30.8 percent on three-pointers last season.

The previous season, he averaged 12.8 points, 4.9 rebounds and 3.6 assists and shot 47.9 percent from the field and 34.0 percent on threes.

The Heat rewarded him with a four-year, $60 million contract after that 2016-17 season.

But his performance was uneven at times last year and he underwent the sports hernia surgery after the season. He’s expected to be ready for training camp.

A sports hernia is a painful soft tissue injury that occurs in the groin area and it most often occurs during sports that require sudden changes of direction or intense twisting movements, per OthroInfo. The website says that most athletes are able to return six to 12 weeks after surgery.

▪ Regarding rumors about a Heat trade involving Houston forward Ryan Anderson, that’s not something that interests Miami at this time, according to a league source.

Both USA Today and ESPN have floated the idea of Houston trading Anderson and a draft pick to Miami for Tyler Johnson or James Johnson. But while that would appear to interest the Rockets, it’s not something the Heat has found appealing.

Acquiring Anderson would increase Miami’s luxury tax bill, because Tyler Johnson is making $19.2 million each of the next two years compared with $20.4 million and $21.3 million for Anderson.

James Johnson is due to make $14.4 million, $15.1 million and $15.8 million the next three seasons, but the Heat values his skill set.

D-rock, Deuce, Vivi and 1 other person like this.
  20. macan

macan Member

hey Morey ryno still on our team...bring us jimmy bucket or andrew wiggins..